TO talks about the option

Twodocs

Osborne's style of football really is better suited to schools that do not have those recruiting advantages (like Nebraska) for all the reasons that he brought up in the article. We used to have such a beautiful niche offense.

Yeah and as the teams start focusing more and more on Defense and stoping the spread I can totally see a shift in mentality for option based offenses. Like TO said its not just about the scheme its about the athletes, and execution. :thumbs

The option is one of the most entertaining offenses to watch, and it is just as explosive as any other type of offense. I love it, and when it is rolling, you just wear down the D and force your will on the other team. Anyone who thinks you cannot make a comeback with the option or that it is just a bunch of 2-3 yard gains obviously has no clue what they are talking about. No better feeling than when the quarterback makes a pitch to the A-back and all there is in front of him is green grass all the way to the end zone...and that is not that uncommon of an occurrence considering most teams do not know what they are doing against the option.

The option is one of the most entertaining offenses to watch, and it is just as explosive as any other type of offense. I love it, and when it is rolling, you just wear down the D and force your will on the other team. Anyone who thinks you cannot make a comeback with the option or that it is just a bunch of 2-3 yard gains obviously has no clue what they are talking about. No better feeling than when the quarterback makes a pitch to the A-back and all there is in front of him is green grass all the way to the end zone...and that is not that uncommon of an occurrence considering most teams do not know what they are doing against the option.

Exactly what Georgia Tech did to FSU. I watched that game and FSU had no idea how to defend it. It was fun to watch.

This thread is interesting in the fact that many believed we needed an upgrade in offenses because a running offense was dead. Isn't this the reason Florida was supposed to crush us in 1995? I think a lot of Nebraska fans bought into this myth as well after watching Jamal Lord's inept play at QB. Even though the fanbase was split after the Solich firing, a lot of people were happy when Clownahan was hired bringing in the west coast offense. Since we've been running the west coast offense, we haven't had the gamechanging QB's or WR's yet needed. Is this because we're not recruiting the right players? Or, is it because there's such a great competition because everyone else is running it as well?

This thread is interesting in the fact that many believed we needed an upgrade in offenses because a running offense was dead. Isn't this the reason Florida was supposed to crush us in 1995? I think a lot of Nebraska fans bought into this myth as well after watching Jamal Lord's inept play at QB. Even though the fanbase was split after the Solich firing, a lot of people were happy when Clownahan was hired bringing in the west coast offense. Since we've been running the west coast offense, we haven't had the gamechanging QB's or WR's yet needed. Is this because we're not recruiting the right players? Or, is it because there's such a great competition because everyone else is running it as well?

I think its more that the WCO is dead, high schools almost NEVER run it and most college do not run it now. Will Muschamp was quoted as saying, after his Auburn team smoked NU in the bowl game that "I love playing those WCO teams, they all script the first 15 plays but after that they are all so easy to figure out"

Now, thats not word for word but its close. Think back to that game, the first NU drive was great, after that, they did NOTHING.

College coaches dont want to waste their time trying to teach the complex WCO anymore when you can teach the spread, or zone read that puts your players in space and fits more players as well. You dont need a big huge running back, look at Noel Devine. You dont need a 6'5 235 pound QB anymore, you dont need huge WR's. The offenses now fit the players into their scheme instead trying to fit the scheme into their players.

I have coached football for 10 years and I can say with all honestly that I have NEVER coached against a WCO team. High schools hardly ever use it, high schools have always tried to put the ball into the hands of their best player as much as possible, since the QB touches the ball each play it all starts there, so they love putting a good runner their and work from that point.

All that I know is that I miss being physical on the offensive side of the ball. All this finesse sucks..... I miss having an offense that can play well in the rain. I miss having an offense that says "We're coming right at you and are going to beat you down. Try to stop us, b*tches." We were bullies on both sides of the ball. I LIKED us being bullies!

And yeah......I remember how Florida's "quick-strike" offense was going to kill Nebraska. I can still hear Corso blathering on and on about it...... Those "quick-strike" offenses don't strike so quickly when their quarterbacks are laying on their backs, do they?

Yes, I would go back to the old offense in a heartbeat if we had a coach that could run it like Tom did. That offense was ALWAYS capable of bringing us championships. People need to remember that it was the DEFENSE that we had to tune (add speed) in order to bring us our last championships.

We had a much more masculine team identity then, unlike now. Hell, now I feel like I should be eating cheese and drinking wine when watching the offense. "Can I have Albert get you another glass, my dear? It WAS a good year for grapes." :violin

I find myself secretly enjoying it when we punt, just so I can see some physical NU football.....

I thought JL was a good running. His game in 02 against Texas was crazy...until he had to throw the ball.

I seem to remember Frank Solich being asked early in his head coaching tenure about not passing the ball much in a game they won big. He replied "there wasn't any need" or something like that. That was the biggest issue I had with him. Too one dimensional.

GeorgiaTechFAn I love watching that triple option and cannot find myself rooting against GT now that they use it.

All that I know is that I miss being physical on the offensive side of the ball. All this finesse sucks..... I miss having an offense that can play well in the rain. I miss having an offense that says "We're coming right at you and are going to beat you down. Try to stop us, b*tches." We were bullies on both sides of the ball. I LIKED us being bullies!

And yeah......I remember how Florida's "quick-strike" offense was going to kill Nebraska. I can still hear Corso blathering on and on about it...... Those "quick-strike" offenses don't strike so quickly when their quarterbacks are laying on their backs, do they?

Yes, I would go back to the old offense in a heartbeat if we had a coach that could run it like Tom did. That offense was ALWAYS capable of bringing us championships. People need to remember that it was the DEFENSE that we had to tune (add speed) in order to bring us our last championships.

We had a much more masculine team identity then, unlike now. Hell, now I feel like I should be eating cheese and drinking wine when watching the offense. "Can I have Albert get you another glass, my dear? It WAS a good year for grapes." :violin

I find myself secretly enjoying it when we punt, just so I can see some physical NU football.....

Agreed. Except when Helu busts a big run.

Exactly what Georgia Tech did to FSU. I watched that game and FSU had no idea how to defend it. It was fun to watch.

Ditto

I think its more that the WCO is dead, high schools almost NEVER run it and most college do not run it now. Will Muschamp was quoted as saying, after his Auburn team smoked NU in the bowl game that "I love playing those WCO teams, they all script the first 15 plays but after that they are all so easy to figure out"

Now, thats not word for word but its close. Think back to that game, the first NU drive was great, after that, they did NOTHING.

College coaches dont want to waste their time trying to teach the complex WCO anymore when you can teach the spread, or zone read that puts your players in space and fits more players as well. You dont need a big huge running back, look at Noel Devine. You dont need a 6'5 235 pound QB anymore, you dont need huge WR's. The offenses now fit the players into their scheme instead trying to fit the scheme into their players.

I have coached football for 10 years and I can say with all honestly that I have NEVER coached against a WCO team. High schools hardly ever use it, high schools have always tried to put the ball into the hands of their best player as much as possible, since the QB touches the ball each play it all starts there, so they love putting a good runner their and work from that point.

Maybe Watson decided to script the last 15 plays on Thursday. :)

I'm sooooo jealous of GT. I would give almost anything for P. Johnson to be running our offense. Please Bo, give our offense the greatness it deserves. Some smashmouth option is precisely what we need.