skill player situation

huskers1

Is it just me or does our skill player situation make little sense? For the past probably 6 years I can remember slower, less athletic guys playing at WR, TE, sometimes RB while taller, faster, quicker, more athletic guys stand on the sideline. Take for example Dan Erickson. He would be in only to block on toss plays and catch an occasional out route. Every time he was in you knew it was going to be a toss and he would crack back. But then the coaches say brooks isnt playing bc he doesn't want to block or he doesn't know the entire offense. He sure can run and catch though, but still he stands on the sideline. Take for example Marcus Mendoza. Playmaker whenever he gets the ball in his hands, average almost 7 ypc last year in the limited time he got the ball. Yet coaches say he's not a complete back and they want him to be able to do everything. Can Joe Mcknight do everything? Can Demps or Rainey do everything? No, they all have some things they do better than others but the coaches still put them in there bc they are crazy fast and can change the game in a second. Lance Thorell was playing most dime situations this year until Gomes got in..guess what happened? Gomes, being the playmaker he is shut down the guys he was covering and came up with a huge pick in the 4th quarter. Finally, we are starting to see our playmakers in the game especially on defense and look how much better our secondary looks with Dennard and Gomes in there instead of West and Thorell. PLAY THE PLAYMAKERS ON OFFENSE!!

Brooks played a lot of snaps against Mizzou and not just when Gilmore benched the starters. As far as Mendoza goes, should he take carries away from Helu? He is year 3 and has hardly played so maybe he just isn’t that good. I could be wrong in thinking that though.

Thorell always confused me but I doubt we see him back out there.

Who else do you think should see the field that the coaches haven’t played yet? And what are you basing your views of these players off of? Just wondering.

I'm not saying just this year. As far as Brooks I'm talking about the last couple years when he looked outstanding in the spring game and all this talk about how he is the best practice player and he is making all these strides only to see him get what 2 catches on the year. Thorell is one of the main ones where I don't understand why he ever played. We had guys like Prince and Dennard just standing on the sidelines last year while Thorell was playing. I have heard coaches on a number of occasions say Mendoza is progressing but just doesn't have it all down yet or something close to that. They've said that about damn near every offensive position. Paul, Gilleylan, Brooks, Kinnie, Bell, and Cooper have in the past or are currently being affected by the coaches not playing someone bc they don't know all of the plays. I've read a number of times where the coaches say "we just have to trust the younger guys to go in and make plays". No kidding!! Play PJ Smith, see what Bell can do on a deep seem route or even Cooper. They gave Gomes and Dennard their shot and look how that turned out.

Brooks played a lot of snaps against Mizzou and not just when Gilmore benched the starters. As far as Mendoza goes, should he take carries away from Helu? He is year 3 and has hardly played so maybe he just isn’t that good. I could be wrong in thinking that though.

Thorell always confused me but I doubt we see him back out there.

Who else do you think should see the field that the coaches haven’t played yet? And what are you basing your views of these players off of? Just wondering.

No, he absolutely should not. He also shouldn't have, up to this point, taken carries away from Rex Burkhead. Love how we think because we hear it that we know more than the guys in practice every day.

I bet Bo is purposely not allowing the talent to play so we can lose games........ :sarcasm

At the start of the season I really wanted to see Fisher and Compton. Compton has done ok and Fisher I think needs to sit more and watch. I want to see fast hard hitting LB's like Martin. I want to see the LB's stick their noses in there and make a hard lick. I saw Fisher way too many times run around and fall on the file. Lawrence is small and fast and he likes contact, but he has melon issues. I really want to see Martin.

At the start of the season I really wanted to see Fisher and Compton. Compton has done ok and Fisher I think needs to sit more and watch. I want to see fast hard hitting LB's like Martin. I want to see the LB's stick their noses in there and make a hard lick. I saw Fisher way too many times run around and fall on the file. Lawrence is small and fast and he likes contact, but he has melon issues. I really want to see Martin.

Are you serious? Fisher has looked great. Bizarre post of the year.

Are you serious? Fisher has looked great. Bizarre post of the year.

:yeah

for some reason I think it will be probably Ward and Jones and Mendoza will continue to stand on the sidelines. A side not, I didn't once say that I know more than the coaches, nor did i hint that I was even in the same galaxy of knowledge that they have forgotten. I just don't get why we so often sacrifice talent for knowledge. Yaaa dude I bet Bo's not playing the best players on purpose either!!