Aftermath

Husker_x

Change #1: Lee has proven he cannot play ball at this level. He should immediately be benched so our future can be started early.

Change #2: You don't fire coordinators because of one game, but Watson should be told in no uncertain terms that this is not acceptable at Nebraska. Ten points against a defense which defines mediocrity.

Change #3: This one is I think finally ripe. Barney Cotton's lines are stupid, slow, undisciplined, and incapable of run blocking. You'd think our athleticism and size alone would get some yards, but apparently it's too much to ask. A replacement should be looked in to starting immediately.

Thoughts? Am I on target or full of sh#t?

The O line is the problem, yes Lee has not made smart moves in the pocket, but what the hell, give the guy more then a split second, they don't sustain blocks and they get blown off the ball, this offense has no identity right now, and pointing the finger at 1 guy on this offense is not solving the problem. Plus since i just watched Green throw in INT when he clearly forced the ball, this unit has as a whole needs serious work.

Change #1: Lee has proven he cannot play ball at this level. He should immediately be benched so our future can be started early.

Change #2: You don't fire coordinators because of one game, but Watson should be told in no uncertain terms that this is not acceptable at Nebraska. Ten points against a defense which defines mediocrity.

Change #3: This one is I think finally ripe. Barney Cotton's lines are stupid, slow, undisciplined, and incapable of run blocking. You'd think our athleticism and size alone would get some yards, but apparently it's too much to ask. A replacement should be looked in to starting immediately.

On point. +1 from me ;)

I think we're being a bit too harsh. While I thought the performance was pretty horrendous, I don't think calling for the staff's heads is the right call. If you ask me where the most concerns lie, its right here:

20091017175031.jpg

WAY too many mistakes. These are player mistakes, not coaches. While I understand the discipline is often a direct reflection of the staff, the coaches aren't the one's playing. It's hard for me to say this because I personally believe its a coaches RESPONSIBILITY to take all the blame whether its warranted or not. In this case, I have to stand up for them a bit before they get stoned to death.

:yeah

i wasn't inpressed with barney cotton when he was here the first time.

I think we're being a bit too harsh. While I thought the performance was pretty horrendous, I don't think calling for the staff's heads is the right call. If you ask me where the most concerns lie, its right here:

20091017175031.jpg

WAY too many mistakes. These are player mistakes, not coaches. While I understand the discipline is often a direct reflection of the staff, the coaches aren't the one's playing. It's hard for me to say this because I personally believe its a coaches RESPONSIBILITY to take all the blame whether its warranted or not. In this case, I have to stand up for them a bit before they get stoned to death.

:wacko: looks good on paper, but man too many mistakes on all fronts, this team was clearly not ready to play from the first snap, there was just no fire with them at all.... it will be a mystery on how the offensive unit will try to find it's identity.

don't know much about playcalling though sometimes I'm kinda confused about the plays being called. But I wonder is Lee and the WR corp making Watson look bad because they cannot execute or is it the other way around? Or do both suck?

What I don't really get and I'm not really sure if that's on Watson or not, but how can you eat up the clock with runs and short passes when you are behind three TDs?? I don't get it they wasted nine f'ing minutes. At some point you just gotta go into hurry up offense. And in the red zone you eventually have to take a shot in the endzone to get a TD. Funny thing is they did start to hurry up with about three minutes left. It's seems as if Watson is trying to get his plan to work not matter what instead of adjusting his plan to what's happening on the field

I thought Lee played a well-managed game for the most part, but he wasn't asked to take shots downfield. He was accurate, didn't turn the ball over (or come close to it) and had few mistakes.

Kind of tough to ball when the O-line is a sieve like it was today, and when your WRs can't get open.

Completely agree with this. I think the offense needs to be looked at closely. Hopefully we give green a chance. Not saying that he's going to be a savior I mean I remember 2003 we were all wanting dailey to replace lord and how'd that work out. But I'm willing to have a few mistakes from green in return for athletic runs. Atleast playin Baylor and Iowa state these next two weeks would give him the opportunity to get his feet wet. Just a thought.