Hickman and Pelini

Husker_x

Most of the time postgame interviews are about as worthless as ice cream in hell, but once in awhile coaches and players, especially after an emotional loss, reveal more than they intended. There were a couple of moments like that in the video highlights today.

First one, paraphrased, was Bo Pelini's comment when asked if they were thinking about changes at the quarterback position, he answered, "Yeah, absolutely. We're thinking about a lot of changes. At a lot of positions."

He also said about the offense: "The first thing I want to see is to see us start running the football––consistently, and being able to knock somebody off the football."

Hickman was an even more unsettling interview, simply because by the look in his eyes you could immediately tell that he had no idea what they were trying to accomplish on offense. He more or less flatly stated that this team still hadn't figured out what it could do well, and that "We need to find our identity and we need to find it fast."

If there's anything to take heart in, it's that Bo's not in denial about the huge problems right now. Our schedule gets pretty soft through the rest of October, but come November the Huskers had better be damn sure what it is they're capable of doing. Damon Benning once said that under Osborne there were six running plays they repped every single practice. They ran the plays, then the backups ran the plays, then the backups' backups ran the plays. The run became their identity because it was expected that Nebraska would be able to pound the rock regardless of what was on the other side of the ball. I hope Wats can find his way there, or else Bo finds someone who can.

First one, paraphrased, was Bo Pelini's comment when asked if they were thinking about changes at the quarterback position, he answered, "Yeah, absolutely. We're thinking about a lot of changes. At a lot of positions."

I was surprised, not by the answer, but the fact that he wasted no time in answering that question or saying it.

I was surprised, not by the answer, but the fact that he wasted no time in answering that question or saying it.

Yeah, can't read too much into it, but he fired back quick on that one. It's probably only my fan-projection wish fulfillment thing, but it sounded to me like he's grown tired of watching Lee out there.

:madash

Most of the time postgame interviews are about as worthless as ice cream in hell, but once in awhile coaches and players, especially after an emotional loss, reveal more than they intended. There were a couple of moments like that in the video highlights today.

He also said about the offense: "The first thing I want to see is to see us start running the football––consistently, and being able to knock somebody off the football."

Hickman was an even more unsettling interview, simply because by the look in his eyes you could immediately tell that he had no idea what they were trying to accomplish on offense. He more or less flatly stated that this team still hadn't figured out what it could do well, and that "We need to find our identity and we need to find it fast."

If there's anything to take heart in, it's that Bo's not in denial about the huge problems right now. Our schedule gets pretty soft through the rest of October, but come November the Huskers had better be damn sure what it is they're capable of doing. Damon Benning once said that under Osborne there were six running plays they repped every single practice. They ran the plays, then the backups ran the plays, then the backups' backups ran the plays. The run became their identity because it was expected that Nebraska would be able to pound the rock regardless of what was on the other side of the ball. I hope Wats can find his way there, or else Bo finds someone who can.

Very insightful! As much as the loss hurts, it might be the best medicine for getting this offense pulled back together. Pelini hates to lose, so I bet that some major changes do happen and that they lead us back in the right direction. :clap

I'll never give up on the Huskers, even though sometimes they like to make me try