NU needs to re-implement old system of recruiting

rkhufu7

I don't know about running the table, but the argument that they are able to pull off a big win here or there, but couldn't against the big boys on a regular basis, doesn't hold. People have been discounting what they have been accomplishing and have rated them lower than their big school counterparts. They have been so consistent that that no longer happens. Fourth in the BCS standings!

This topic is nuts. First and foremost, I call BS on the Derron Smith comment about playing for a loser. Second of all, the job of a recruiter is to get a recruit that they are interested in to visit, regardless of reciprocal interest. Getting them on campus is half the battle. Third, we had 11 recruits at this time last year, compared to 9 this year. Here are the targets who committed after October 21st:

Jason Ankrah - 12/21

Rex Burkhead - 12/15

Dejon Gomes - 12/9

Andrew Green - 12/14

Brandon Kinnie - 12/1

Eric Martin - 2/1

Lazarri Middleton - 12/8

Jeremiah Sirles - 10/24

Dijon Washington - 11/25

3 of those were 4 stars and 3 were the highest rated 3 stars that Rivals awards (5.7), for those who put much stock into recruiting rankings. I'm sure it doesn't matter though, being that most of our roster consists of "leftovers" anyway. By the way, do you know who haven't been leftovers recently:

2007 - Demetrious Davis - Alabama offer

2007 - William Yancy - Oklahoma offer

2006 - Cruz Barrett - Florida, Florida State, and Oklahoma offers

2006 - Seth Jensen - Oklahoma offer

2006 - Andre Jones - USC offer

2006 - Kenny Wilson - Florida and Tennessee offers

I'm not trying to disparage any players currently on the roster, as I applaud all of the young men wearing the scarlet and cream, just trying to prove a point.

As for Pelini's recruits, the recruits from his first class are now redshirt freshmen. Can we really tell much of anything about the quality of talent that he has brought in at this point in time? Step away from the ledge people. And skersfan, don't drink and post.

Personal friend of my wife. I am sure she is a liar.

Don't drink, don't drink the Kool Aid either.

Haven't since the beginning of the year. Questioned Zac from the start.

If it is not talent, that leaves one thing and only one thing for how this offense is playing!

Figure that out.

If it is not talent, that leaves one thing and only one thing for how this offense is playing!

Figure that out.

it looks like your wife and her friend have been drinking the Kool Aid in your absence..

I don't really want the kid, seems like a waste of a commit anyway, i agreed with you on everything until you threw that out there.Have you taken up using something else rather than Kool Aid? sounds like it

How many big wins does Boise State have to have before people quit saying they caught them at the right time? You can insert Utah and TCU replacing Boise State if you want. If I had to bet, I'd say Boise State could run the table in the Big 12 North.

Agreed. BSU would doubtless be the favorite in the B12 N and would have, as you say, a real shot at running the table in the North. That said, Texas, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State and Texas Tech are now (and typically, at least recently) better than any B12 north team . Were BSU to be in the B12 South they would not be a favorite --- but would win some from the elite from time to time. I'd see them along the OSU/TT lines.

Figure that out.

Good for you. Don't support the starting QB. Don't support the program. After all, "we have sucked for a long time". The team is full of "leftovers". Congratulations.

I'm not saying that your "wife" is a liar. I am saying that I don't buy your story. Derron Smith's other listed offers are Idaho, Nevada, New Mexico State, San Diego State, and UNLV. Why would he disparage his best offer by far? Why would he call Nebraska a loser when we would destroy any of the other schools that have offered him? Of course, he must not be worth a damn if those are his only offers. Why don't you have your wife relay to his mom that you personally don't want him at Nebraska because he is just a "left over" and he obviously wouldn't help us?

Well that's good because OSU is ranked where and TT respectively? The reason it's interesting is the fact that Boise State comes in recruiting in the 70's rather than in the top 25. I believe OSU has recently had a class or two in the top 25. Here we are again: is it coaching or is it talent? Everyone including myself has been dogging Hawkins, but he won up there. Is there something special in their water in Boise? Are they just recruiting the type of players they need to win, or are they just that lucky how the recruits they get pan out?

I've never been one to believe we need superior talent to win. Unfortunately for Bo, it's a lot harder to teach a team used to losing into winning than it is to teach a team used to winning into losing. I think we have plenty of talent to compete with nearly any team in the country. Unfortunately, the mindset just isn't quite there yet. The win over Mizzou was an emotional win. Then, we had a longer than normal week before the next game. IMO, the team especially the offense played unenthusiastic and flat. I expect them to light things on fire Saturday.

Clarification:

The kid told them he was not coming to Nebraska up front. Wants to go to SC I think. Has numerous offers. I have not talked to him or his mother. Had planned on watching him play Friday nite, plans have changed.

I understand getting them to the campus. I was a Marine recruiter for 8 years.

He thought the fan base was booing the team, he wants to go to a winning program. Those are the coments I heard through my wife.

I understand he is a 18 year old kid and says things sometimes that maybe said the wrong way.

I had planned on talking to him this week, but I have to be out of town. I may have the opportunity to the following week end. I want to hear first hand what his thoughts were of the Nebraska process.

I'd be willing to bet UCLA, Tennessee, Washington, etc. all have pretty decent recruiting classes even though they've been horrible. I don't buy into the concept that recruits only go to the top ranked teams.

UCLA and Tenessee are all about location. Tennessee especially, its not totally south and its not totally midwest and its not totally north, so they get a good pull of kids from all over.

Washington is an odd one, they tend to pull pretty good classes, I think people underestimate the location to Northern Cali and then of course they seem to have a great connection with samoan players.

I will suppor the program how I choose and I need no guidance from you.

I have taken off the Rose colored glasses.

Some have not.

You do not get a quality starter out of a third string QB from the year before, who apprently did not have the support of the staff to play him.

You can drink the kool aid that we are on a level with all top programs in the country if you want to. Or you can say that our coaching is not up to where it needs to be, but really those are the only two choices you have when you lose like we did and have the luck we had at Missouri.

Supporting your team has nothing to do with Rah Rah. It has to do with realizing what the problems are and accepting things will not be fixed over night. Patience, not predicting BCS games and CCG Titles. Thinking that Oklahoma is done without Bradford that Nebraska rolls. We need to accept that we have shortfalls, and have faith that the coaching staff will get it fixed

Bo needs at least two more years to see what he is trying to build. Coach Osborne feels that Watson is the man. I trust in Bo that he knows how to fix the problem. But unlike some I realize it will take longer than some think.

I am not down on the team. I am down on those that say we have throw to everything out and start over in mid season. I am down on those that think we need to get rid of the coaches or question their every move.

I am down on our recruiting, as I see it being like what Solich did. Not the main priority of the staff year round.

Pete Carrol says everyday is recruiting day, every game is for the National Championship. I think Bo feels that way to, but I do not think they really do a good job at recruiting.

I do not beilieve we get who we want and who will fit our system. We need the same kids as SC does or KState does. The best player at his position, in the entire coutry should be the goal. Never attainable, but a bar set high, if you fall short it might be close.

I do not follow rivals all that much, but it seems we never get a kid out of the top 100, some of our named competition get four or five every year. And for some reason those that get that level of athlete seem to be playing in the NC title race.

I was told that Derron is being recruited by all the major programs. You follow that more closely than I do. Maybe mom exagerated a little, I do not know.

But if those are the only schools recruiting him, then most likely we do not need him. Not saying he isn't a daimond in the rough. But we need to set our sights for the top kids in the country.

Some have not.

You do not get a quality starter out of a third string QB from the year before, who apprently did not have the support of the staff to play him.

You can drink the kool aid that we are on a level with all top programs in the country if you want to. Or you can say that our coaching is not up to where it needs to be, but really those are the only two choices you have when you lose like we did and have the luck we had at Missouri.

Supporting your team has nothing to do with Rah Rah. It has to do with realizing what the problems are and accepting things will not be fixed over night. Patience, not predicting BCS games and CCG Titles. Thinking that Oklahoma is done without Bradford that Nebraska rolls. We need to accept that we have shortfalls, and have faith that the coaching staff will get it fixed

Bo needs at least two more years to see what he is trying to build. Coach Osborne feels that Watson is the man. I trust in Bo that he knows how to fix the problem. But unlike some I realize it will take longer than some think.

I am not down on the team. I am down on those that say we have throw to everything out and start over in mid season. I am down on those that think we need to get rid of the coaches or question their every move.

I am down on our recruiting, as I see it being like what Solich did. Not the main priority of the staff year round.

Pete Carrol says everyday is recruiting day, every game is for the National Championship. I think Bo feels that way to, but I do not think they really do a good job at recruiting.

I do not beilieve we get who we want and who will fit our system. We need the same kids as SC does or KState does. The best player at his position, in the entire coutry should be the goal. Never attainable, but a bar set high, if you fall short it might be close.

I do not follow rivals all that much, but it seems we never get a kid out of the top 100, some of our named competition get four or five every year. And for some reason those that get that level of athlete seem to be playing in the NC title race.

I was told that Derron is being recruited by all the major programs. You follow that more closely than I do. Maybe mom exagerated a little, I do not know.

But if those are the only schools recruiting him, then most likely we do not need him. Not saying he isn't a daimond in the rough. But we need to set our sights for the top kids in the country.

"maybe mom exaggerated a bit"

What are you 10 years old? This is all bogus. Our coaches are doing a good job recruiting overall... you're acting like they don't know the importance of recruiting! Even though we don't have a class full of 4 and 5 stars we are giving scholarships to players that Bo and Co. feel are worthy. People like you make me laugh, thinking that you believe you understand more about recruiting and coaching division 1 football than Bo Pelini and his staff. Go back and gossip about Husker football with your mother and let the people that know what they're doing run the show.

Some have not.

I think that we may be on the same page, though I believe your choice of words to describe your support for the program is interesting to say the least. This is a process. It will take longer than some think. While at least one ESPN writer had us as BCS game participants after the Missouri game, most fans prior to Missouri were thinking 8-4 or 9-3 in the 2009 regular season. Both of these records are still attainable. I think the meltdown over the Tech game is both how bad our offense looked, and how many had bought into the Missouri hype generated by the national media.

BUT - I don't think that we have "sucked for a long time". We certainly haven't been consistently among the powerhouses this decade, but we have been anywhere from subpar to very good. I also don't think that our roster is full of leftovers. I believe that our defense, despite having many of the same players that we had in 2007, is right there with OU and Texas as the best in the Big XII.

I do follow recruiting closely and have read many articles about it. It is simply not realistic for Nebraska to recruit at the level of Florida, USC, or Texas. The #1 reason why a recruit chooses a school is location. We are not located in a hotbed of high school football talent.

As for results, there is a strong positive correlation between recruiting rankings and onfield results for about the top 7 recruiting teams averaged over a 5 year period. After that, things get a lot more murky.

And if you want to use examples in the Big XII about elite recruiting teams, stick with Texas, Oklahoma, and maybe OSU. Texas Tech recruits at about Nebraska's level according to the services. Texas A&M recruits well, but plays terrible. Kansas and Missouri are both decent, but usually fall below Nebraska in the rankings. Everyone else is a notch below the other teams mentioned.

OU is a perennial top 10 recruiting program. However, where are they ranked today? I'm not in the parity camp yet, but I will say fewer schollies do limit the ability of a program to simply reload like we used to. OU lost a lot of OL, and it has showed this year. Eric Crouch was the last NU QB to play more than 2 years. To some extent, I believe some of Lee's issues this year stem from getting absolutely no playing time a year ago. No matter who starts this weekend and for the rest of the season, I believe it is imperative that Cody Green gets some significant playing time this year and next year in order to proceed with the journey to success.