the best thing Bo could do for this team

In my new world of fuzzy math, i just had a Eureka Moment! If Pelini's defense would have held Tech scoreless for the game, we would have actually won the game 10-7! It is clear that it is the defense's fault for losing. You just can't allow 259 yards of total offense to teams like Texas Tech and expect to win football games..... <_<

Hey Paul? I wasn't blaming the defense. Merely suggesting there was so much blame to go around that it was ludicrous to lay it all on the OCs play calling. And actually a bit weird that people think throwing Watson under a bus will keep Pelini's nose clean. He's our firey head coach. And the team wasn't fired up. For the whole. Damn. Game.

If there was a Eureka Moment in Husker nation, it should be that the same plays we loved when the Taylors & Ganzs and Swifts and Purifys were pulling them off simply weren't working as well on a team of Lees and Pauls.

(in fairness, these were also plays we loved only five quarters ago when the resilient Husker offense struck for four TDs against Missouri, putting the entire college football media on the Husker bandwagon. A lifetime ago, eh?)

If adjustments are not made, it could get ugly.

I predict adjustments will be made. And Watson and Pelini will agree on them.

Knowing how he likes to point fingers at everyone but himself, I'm really surprised that Pelini took the blame. Being the spineless coward that he is, I would have thought that he would have blamed the loss on someone else and then said that he was excellent in every area. :sarcasm

Yeah. Hard to figure out where the sarcasm ends and your point begins, but we seem to agree that Pelini was justified in taking the blame himself, leaving only Internet second guessers with extremely short memories to start screeching for Shawn Watson's head.

Next time I'll draw you a picture if it will help. :)

It won't. Trust me. :nutz

Bill Walsh worked it perfectly and figured out that Nebraska players were ideally suited for the system. He had the closest thing in the pros to a running QB in Steve Young, but with a college player like Cody Green who can add a dozen designed QB rushes a game the WCO can be a bitch to defend.

While he was running the WCO with the 49er's he had a lot more than 20 hours a week to get his players to learn and know it. When he was at Stanford his playbook was minimal compared to what he brought to the NFL.

That's why I said a WCO playbook doesn't have to be huge to be effective.

Last year's team appeared to handle it better than this years team.

So yes, adjustments will be made, tailored no doubt to Cody Greeen.

In my new world of fuzzy math, i just had a Eureka Moment! If Pelini's defense would have held Tech scoreless for the game, we would have actually won the game 10-7! It is clear that it is the defense's fault for losing. You just can't allow 259 yards of total offense to teams like Texas Tech and expect to win football games..... <_<

Hey Paul? I wasn't blaming the defense. Merely suggesting there was so much blame to go around that it was ludicrous to lay it all on the OCs play calling. And actually a bit weird that people think throwing Watson under a bus will keep Pelini's nose clean. He's our firey head coach. And the team wasn't fired up. For the whole. Damn. Game.

If there was a Eureka Moment in Husker nation, it should be that the same plays we loved when the Taylors & Ganzs and Swifts and Purifys were pulling them off simply weren't working as well on a team of Lees and Pauls.

(in fairness, these were also plays we loved only five quarters ago when the resilient Husker offense struck for four TDs against Missouri, putting the entire college football media on the Husker bandwagon. A lifetime ago, eh?)

If adjustments are not made, it could get ugly.

I predict adjustments will be made. And Watson and Pelini will agree on them.

Knowing how he likes to point fingers at everyone but himself, I'm really surprised that Pelini took the blame. Being the spineless coward that he is, I would have thought that he would have blamed the loss on someone else and then said that he was excellent in every area. :sarcasm

Yeah. Hard to figure out where the sarcasm ends and your point begins, but we seem to agree that Pelini was justified in taking the blame himself, leaving only Internet second guessers with extremely short memories to start screeching for Shawn Watson's head.

Next time I'll draw you a picture if it will help. :)

You do good work paul

funny_bear_lost_in_woods_poster-p228969579527970462t5ta_400.jpg

What good is an offense that is so difficult to learn but so easy for opposing DC's to predict?

No wonder why Lee is checking out of so many called plays. The opposing DC already knows what NU is going to call and has his D all set to go.

No kidding. The one time we go under center in a singleback formation...we hand it off to Helu. Every defense has keyed in on it and you can see it. The zone read can be effective, but not 20 times out of 23 run plays called and certainly not when they don't respect our QB, because they know he won't get far with it. Plus we can't run the ball, because the defense has 8 guys in the box and we try to run it with 3 WR's on the field. But why not stack the box when our passes are little short passes and nothing is run downfield?

The best thing Bo could do is try to establish a power run game. In that I mean more power sets with 2 TE's and a FB lead blocking. We need to let our running backs get into a rhythm. Adrian Peterson usually has like 80 yards until he busts a few big ones after they have worn down the defense...and they try to establish the run. Watson does not establish the run in the least. We might get 30 rushes in a game, but it is so randomly called it's retarded. Granted AP is a freak and exception, but it's the concept Bo needs to start establishing. Bo just needs to put his foot down and not cradle Watson...it is his team and he needs do what is best for Nebraska. I know Watson is probably a friend and he shouldn't throw him under the bus in the media or in public. But he has to set him straight in private. Bo needs to tell him what he expects and what he wants to establish for his offense.

I have to agree with this post. Why the hell do we have to disguise everything instead of just loading up the line and powering it at them. I guess the new term is "getting big". Maybe this crap of taking what the defense is giving us is exactly that..... crap. It puts to much pressure on the qb to get the right play called. Then the defense disguises what it's doing and so much for that. Taking what the defense gives you is letting them dictate the game.

What good is an offense that is so difficult to learn but so easy for opposing DC's to predict?

No wonder why Lee is checking out of so many called plays. The opposing DC already knows what NU is going to call and has his D all set to go.

No kidding. The one time we go under center in a singleback formation...we hand it off to Helu. Every defense has keyed in on it and you can see it. The zone read can be effective, but not 20 times out of 23 run plays called and certainly not when they don't respect our QB, because they know he won't get far with it. Plus we can't run the ball, because the defense has 8 guys in the box and we try to run it with 3 WR's on the field. But why not stack the box when our passes are little short passes and nothing is run downfield?

The best thing Bo could do is try to establish a power run game. In that I mean more power sets with 2 TE's and a FB lead blocking. We need to let our running backs get into a rhythm. Adrian Peterson usually has like 80 yards until he busts a few big ones after they have worn down the defense...and they try to establish the run. Watson does not establish the run in the least. We might get 30 rushes in a game, but it is so randomly called it's retarded. Granted AP is a freak and exception, but it's the concept Bo needs to start establishing. Bo just needs to put his foot down and not cradle Watson...it is his team and he needs do what is best for Nebraska. I know Watson is probably a friend and he shouldn't throw him under the bus in the media or in public. But he has to set him straight in private. Bo needs to tell him what he expects and what he wants to establish for his offense.

I have to agree with this post. Why the hell do we have to disguise everything instead of just loading up the line and powering it at them. I guess the new term is "getting big". Maybe this crap of taking what the defense is giving us is exactly that..... crap. It puts to much pressure on the qb to get the right play called. Then the defense disguises what it's doing and so much for that. Taking what the defense gives you is letting them dictate the game.

I'd also like to see us run more to set up the pass. But a couple series of three and outs trying to establish a power-running game gets the faithful nervous, too. The idea of old-fashioned smashmouth football always sounds good, but you can't snap your fingers and have the '95 Huskers at your disposal.

I'd also like to see Quentin Castille and Rex Burkhead spelling Helu, who isn't always fully healthy himself.

As for the pressure on the QB to get the right play called? That's his job. And there were plenty of plays called last week in which receivers were wide open and Lee declined to pass it to them, and others where Lee and Green got the ball to them exactly as designed, and they declined to hold on to it.

Helu having 18 carries for 68 yards wouldn't be considered an abandonment of the running game if the passing game had worked better and the Huskers weren't digging out of a three touchdown hole.

I also don't think it's so much "taking what the defense gives you" as it is having multiple weapons that let you exploit the different weakeness in each team.

And I'm pretty sure both Bo Pelini and Shawn Watson were really, really hoping Zac Lee would get better quicker, so they wouldn't have to dump everything on Cody Green's shoulders this season. But it looks like that will happen and Cody might work really well in a WCO modified to his skills.

I'd also like to see us run more to set up the pass. But a couple series of three and outs trying to establish a power-running game gets the faithful nervous, too. The idea of old-fashioned smashmouth football always sounds good, but you can't snap your fingers and have the '95 Huskers at your disposal.

I'd also like to see Quentin Castille and Rex Burkhead spelling Helu, who isn't always fully healthy himself.

As for the pressure on the QB to get the right play called? That's his job. And there were plenty of plays called last week in which receivers were wide open and Lee declined to pass it to them, and others where Lee and Green got the ball to them exactly as designed, and they declined to hold on to it.

Helu having 18 carries for 68 yards wouldn't be considered an abandonment of the running game if the passing game had worked better and the Huskers weren't digging out of a three touchdown hole.

I also don't think it's so much "taking what the defense gives you" as it is having multiple weapons that let you exploit the different weakeness in each team.

And I'm pretty sure both Bo Pelini and Shawn Watson were really, really hoping Zac Lee would get better quicker, so they wouldn't have to dump everything on Cody Green's shoulders this season. But it looks like that will happen and Cody might work really well in a WCO modified to his skills.

Shawn Watson is a good offensive coordinator. Fire him from Nebraska and you will soon be losing to a Shawn Watson coached team.

He has called some great games the last few years under miserable conditions with spare parts thrown into a new offense. Last week was not his best. But Lee was overly cautious, recievers dropped balls (and kicked fumbles), the O-line showed once again it is not among NUs best and we're still missing the two best running backs to spell Helu, who still had 18 carries for 68 yards in yet another game where miscues forced the offense to dig out of a deep hole.

The bigger problem is that top to bottom, offense and defense and for all four quarters, the Nebraska team looked rattled, mistake prone and unable to dig deep and fight for itself. At home.

And that one you hang on Bo Pelini. Who shouldn't be fired anymore than Shawn Watson.

And if you get outraged about offensive predictibility, you really shouldn't worship at the alter of Tom Osborne, whose play calling was among the most predictible in college football but happened to be backed by superior strength and execution. (Except for those wild trick plays of his, which often popped up during losing efforts in big games when the bread and butter plays weren't working.)

LOL!!

What a post!! Can you possibly be serious??

haha...wow!!

Hey Guy Chamberlin, guess what?? We're "already" losing to any decent team we play. So we're supposed to be happy and thrilled with that? You really don't think for well over 25 years TO didn't do WAYYYYYYYY better than that??

In BC's last year the defense stunk. They gave up too many huge plays and never created turnovers. That is what happens when you are two steps behind the offense and chasing people instead of coming up to hit them. It was obvious the players on defense were confused. I have a hard time believing the Offensive line doesn't have more on their minds than the snap count and who they block after the snap. If they didn't they wouldn't be causing so many penalties. Whatever is going through their minds needs to be either reduced or simplified.

I bow down to Osborne as much as the next guy, but really, what will they get from asking his advice?

Starting in 1980, there was a huge emphasis on the FB on the option, traps, and to set up counter OTs and counter sweeps.

Today, the Nebraska FB may be out on the field, but he doesn't get the ball. Ever. Unless it's thrown to him in the flat.

I bow down to Osborne as much as the next guy, but really, what will they get from asking his advice?

Starting in 1980, there was a huge emphasis on the FB on the option, traps, and to set up counter OTs and counter sweeps.

Today, the Nebraska FB may be out on the field, but he doesn't get the ball. Ever. Unless it's thrown to him in the flat.

Sounds like they could use a little advice.......