Refs in football

Anyone see the touchdown given to Florida in their game on saturday? A Florida guy picked the pass off and was showboating going into the endzone and had the ball stripped by a Miss St guy who then recovered it in the endzone. Even after going to the review the refs still came back and called it a Florida TD, when the side by side sync'd views of the replay clearly showed the ball was out before it crossed the plane. The announcers were in shock and so was everyone else i was watching the game with. It came at such a crucial point in the game and absolutely demorilized the Miss St team.

I can honestly say this season has been some of the worst officiating i have ever seen. All you have to do is look at the desparity of Personal foul calls and holding the Big 12 conference has compare to other conferences, also look at the SEC crew that got suspended. I would be suprised if there is an investigation into SEC refs after witnessing what happened on Saturday.

People would love to think refs are clean, but the truth is there is big money involved in sports and we have already seen in the NBA that guys can get hooked. For anyone to think the one NBA ref is the only guy on the take is absolutely not paying attention to the world around them. IMHO i think refs on the take is as wide spread as steroid use in sports.

Blaming the refs is for losers.

Nebraska fans and their team do a great job at blaming the refs and losing, respectively.

I dont think this thread has anything to do with blaming NU's losses on the refs. It has to do with the overall look at officiating across the NCAA this year.

To be honest, Saturday was the first well officiated game I've seen all season (out of all games, not just Nebraska games). The only questionable call I saw was on the ping pong ball interception, it appeared the Iowa State defender's knee was down when he got ahold of the ball. Even that though was bang bang, and not entirely conclusive. Of course the rest of the season it's been ridiculously bad.

Nebraska fans and their team do a great job at blaming the refs and losing, respectively.

I dont think this thread has anything to do with blaming NU's losses on the refs. It has to do with the overall look at officiating across the NCAA this year.

I understand that. I was just referring to the more specific nature of Nebraska's fans and its football team.

To be honest, Saturday was the first well officiated game I've seen all season (out of all games, not just Nebraska games). The only questionable call I saw was on the ping pong ball interception, it appeared the Iowa State defender's knee was down when he got ahold of the ball. Even that though was bang bang, and not entirely conclusive. Of course the rest of the season it's been ridiculously bad.

Agreed. Good game by the refs.

I understand that. I was just referring to the more specific nature of Nebraska's fans and its football team.

LOL. OK, Mister Mizzou. :lol:

I'm pretty sure you can catch a ball while down (unless you went out of bounds), you just can't advance the ball (for obvious reasons). That was just excellent heads-up play.

But yeah, I saw some bad officiating this weekend all around (USC game, anyone? That horrible face mask that tore the receiver's helmet off right in front of the official?). It's strange how there have been so many hyper-reactive calls there have been (Suh's hand coming down on the top of the QB's helmet) and how many dangerous/reckless moves have been overlooked (Robinson, I think, being tackled by his headgear). And, no, not just against the huskers, but all teams (our players have 'gotten away' with a lot, too).

Maybe this isn't due so much to officiating but how many angles there are and how much detail there is in modern broadcasting. We see a lot more than we used to and with greater clarity (and I was able to rewind to the non-replayed helmet tackle of Robinson during the next commercial to watch it a couple of times to see that it really looked like he was grabbed by the back of his helmet or earhole and pulled down... he didn't wrap his head up, he grabbed his helmet). A few years ago, that wouldn't have been so easy to see, wider angle views, maybe no camera at that vantage point, and HD all factor into what we're seeing.

So maybe there aren't more fish, the holes in our netting have just gotten a lot smaller.

I'm pretty sure you can catch a ball while down (unless you went out of bounds), you just can't advance the ball (for obvious reasons). That was just excellent heads-up play.

But yeah, I saw some bad officiating this weekend all around (USC game, anyone? That horrible face mask that tore the receiver's helmet off right in front of the official?). It's strange how there have been so many hyper-reactive calls there have been (Suh's hand coming down on the top of the QB's helmet) and how many dangerous/reckless moves have been overlooked (Robinson, I think, being tackled by his headgear). And, no, not just against the huskers, but all teams (our players have 'gotten away' with a lot, too).

Maybe this isn't due so much to officiating but how many angles there are and how much detail there is in modern broadcasting. We see a lot more than we used to and with greater clarity (and I was able to rewind to the non-replayed helmet tackle of Robinson during the next commercial to watch it a couple of times to see that it really looked like he was grabbed by the back of his helmet or earhole and pulled down... he didn't wrap his head up, he grabbed his helmet). A few years ago, that wouldn't have been so easy to see, wider angle views, maybe no camera at that vantage point, and HD all factor into what we're seeing.

So maybe there aren't more fish, the holes in our netting have just gotten a lot smaller.

I know that. He advanced the ball 16 yards after catching it...

I was babysitting my two children, so I didn't get a chance to see each and every down. However, the only thing I saw that I really didn't appreciate was the Robinson fumble. His forward progress was easily stopped, and he was trying to go down. Three Iowa State defenders held him up and basically mugged him. Nobody stands much of a chance three on one holding onto the football.

I would have to say that SEC officials are the biggest joke in sports right up there with NBA refs. For example on the Alabama's blocked field goal of Tennesee's, Terrence Cody took off his helmet even though the play was still live, he should have been flagged for unsportsmanlike and the Vols should have had the chance for another kick, just another clear example of the SEC making sure that there will be an SEC team in the BCS game this year.

Wouldn't that have been a dead ball foul that occurred after the play was over? If that's the case, Tennessee wouldn't have gotten another chance to kick the fieldgoal. I thought it was treated like when someone scores a TD and takes their helmet off. They don't nulify the TD. Rather, they assess the penalty on the kickoff.