Green - Handcufffed with training wheels

CGREEN17

I don't think Green is a VY type athlete, and I don't think his comfort with his HS offense would do anything for any contending Div I program. Not saying he isn't a good QB with lots of potential. But it's a big stretch right now.

We can agree to disagree on this, but you can see how Terrel Pryor (who I think anyone would agree was a VY type of athlete coming out of high school) is struggling in an offense that he's not comfortable with and Tressel isn't adjusting. On the opposite side you have Urban Meyer who has adjusted his offense to take advantage of Tebow's strengths and comfort level. If you have these athletes you need to be creative enough and bold enough to take advantage of their skills and athleticism, rather than wasting the few precious years you have making them adjust to you.

Fair enough. My view though is that while Green is a runner, he isn't the same kind of athlete as those guys...so making these comparisons might lead to some unreal expectations as to what he could do. If he was that kind of athlete, then I agree, why not turn him loose. I just don't think he is.

I still think Shatel's an idiot. What was that last idiotic thing he posted a couple weeks ago?

Some guys just aren't as ready as others. Zac Taylor came in and ran it from day 1. Freshman QBs USUALLY aren't ready for this type of gig, and Green is not Matt Barkley. Green's HS offense was not real complicated and that's a bigger reason I think than our offensive 'complexity'. Even when true frosh start elsewhere the playbook is often simplified to accomodate them - just as we have done. And gradually they progress and are able to do more things in the offense. I think the whole "complexity of our offense" thing is pretty overblown.

What do you want, an offense where you can throw any scrub in at QB and expect him to perform? I guess Mike Leach has done that. Other than that though?

Nebraska's old offense was kind of like that. We went down to Manhatten to face a decently ranked KState team with 3rd stringer Matt Turman leading the charge. I don't know if I'd exactly call Turman a scrub, but then again he wasn't exactly Tommie Frazier either. I want an offense that is simple enough that the OL knows who to block. The WR's can run simple and precise routes. And where the RB isn't confused and running into the QB. What I really want is a well executed disciplined offense.

Fair enough. My view though is that while Green is a runner, he isn't the same kind of athlete as those guys...so making these comparisons might lead to some unreal expectations as to what he could do. If he was that kind of athlete, then I agree, why not turn him loose. I just don't think he is.

I certainly respect your opinion, but my fear is that given our current offensive philosophy we may not get to see his true potential or capability.

I certainly respect your opinion, but my fear is that given our current offensive philosophy we may not get to see his true potential or capability.

Yeah this concerns me too.

I still think Shatel's an idiot. What was that last idiotic thing he posted a couple weeks ago?

Some guys just aren't as ready as others. Zac Taylor came in and ran it from day 1. Freshman QBs USUALLY aren't ready for this type of gig, and Green is not Matt Barkley. Green's HS offense was not real complicated and that's a bigger reason I think than our offensive 'complexity'. Even when true frosh start elsewhere the playbook is often simplified to accomodate them - just as we have done. And gradually they progress and are able to do more things in the offense. I think the whole "complexity of our offense" thing is pretty overblown.

What do you want, an offense where you can throw any scrub in at QB and expect him to perform? I guess Mike Leach has done that. Other than that though?

Nebraska's old offense was kind of like that. We went down to Manhatten to face a decently ranked KState team with 3rd stringer Matt Turman leading the charge. I don't know if I'd exactly call Turman a scrub, but then again he wasn't exactly Tommie Frazier either. I want an offense that is simple enough that the OL knows who to block. The WR's can run simple and precise routes. And where the RB isn't confused and running into the QB. What I really want is a well executed disciplined offense.

junior, I'm not sure it was a matter of scheme so much as we were just more physical and more relentless to the other side. When we dominated in the trenches like we did, it made things easier for moving parts to go in and do their thing. That's a luxury I don't think any team today has.

question:

do you think Bo and Wats are deliberately trying to lose??

why on earth would anyone think they would give green LESS playbook to work with than he's capable of??

what is their motivation for not letting him loose?? letting the thoroughbred run, etc.,etc.,etc.

do you seriously think either Bo or Watson WANT green to fail???

or the team??

just maybe, they gave him "training wheels" for a reason.

:dumdum

Shatel's point is that "training wheels" shouldn't be required. If you need to be a 4th or 5th year qb to run the offense, than it is too complicated.

No, obviously no one is stupid enough to think that Wats or Bo want Green to fail, but you can desire to succeed and still fail. It's not about wanting or not wanting him to fail, it's about putting him in a position where he can succeed.

Please don't ask questions you know the answers to. It's a waste of everyone's time.

to address the very subtle difference... :wacko:

It's not about wanting or not wanting him to fail, it's about putting him in a position where he can succeed.

let me rebutt.

do you seriously think that Bo and wats want to put green in a position where he can fail??

shatel is a sports writer, we are internet posters.

BO and Wats are professional coaches.

TO handpicked Bo.

who you gonna trust?

junior, I'm not sure it was a matter of scheme so much as we were just more physical and more relentless to the other side. When we dominated in the trenches like we did, it made things easier for moving parts to go in and do their thing. That's a luxury I don't think any team today has.

That's exactly the point. The offense we run today is keyed too heavily upon the moving parts. In our old offense, the WR's for the most part just had to block. In this offense, they have to block; run precise routes; catch the ball; etc. In the old offense, the RB's mostly ran the ball. In this offense, they have to be able to pick up the blitzes; etc. I always thought Brandon Jackson was a better RB than Porkchop. However, he didn't get to play much. It was because he hadn't picked up the blocking schemes well enough. I sometimes wonder if some of our best talent isn't riding the pine in this offense because they don't have one or two of the things down yet that are important to their job. In the old offense, this wasn't the case. This is why we could plug different moving parts in and not see much drop off. Even the OL has a lot more to deal with than the OL did in the old offense. Even on play action passes, the OL in the old offense blasted off the ball trying to make the defense think it was going to be a run. I think we have too many guys out there thinking rather than playing. This is why this offense is struggling.

That's exactly the point. The offense we run today is keyed too heavily upon the moving parts. In our old offense, the WR's for the most part just had to block. In this offense, they have to block; run precise routes; catch the ball; etc. In the old offense, the RB's mostly ran the ball. In this offense, they have to be able to pick up the blitzes; etc. I always thought Brandon Jackson was a better RB than Porkchop. However, he didn't get to play much. It was because he hadn't picked up the blocking schemes well enough. I sometimes wonder if some of our best talent isn't riding the pine in this offense because they don't have one or two of the things down yet that are important to their job. In the old offense, this wasn't the case. This is why we could plug different moving parts in and not see much drop off. Even the OL has a lot more to deal with than the OL did in the old offense. Even on play action passes, the OL in the old offense blasted off the ball trying to make the defense think it was going to be a run. I think we have too many guys out there thinking rather than playing. This is why this offense is struggling.

I agree with this. Keep it simple and do it well. We watched Paul Johnson install the triple option and be successful in year one but billy boy couldn't get anything done.

Good post, and I agree.

Wait..uhhh.......I mean... Quit using logic and having a difference in opinion about the Nebraska team. It's obvious you are whining and crying like a little girl. Why don't you grow a pair, become blind to the obvious problems this team has, and be a "good" fan, even though the reason you are probably bringing up all of the problems is because you CARE about the team. Here's your dress.

Good post, and I agree.

Wait..uhhh.......I mean... Quit using logic and having a difference in opinion about the Nebraska team. It's obvious you are whining and crying like a little girl. Why don't you grow a pair, become blind to the obvious problems this team has, and be a "good" fan, even though the reason you are probably bringing up all of the problems is because you CARE about the team. Here's your dress.

:yeah and dedhoarse