Big 12 mulls changing scheduling

Ringo: Big 12 mulls changing North, South scheduling

Daily Camera

Big 12 athletic directors will discuss possible changes to the league`s current football scheduling model when they meet in New York in December and again at league meetings next spring.

One option has support from a small group of athletic directors from North Division schools, including Colorado athletic director Mike Bohn, but it hasn`t been presented to the full league yet.

Under the current scheduling system, Colorado faces Texas, Texas A&M and Oklahoma State this year, completing a two-year cycle of playing those teams home and away. It won`t face those opponents in the regular season again until 2012 because it begins a new two-year home-and-away cycle with Oklahoma, Baylor and Texas Tech next year.

The proposed change would be for teams never to go more than one year without facing each other in the regular season. Colorado would play Texas, Texas A&M and Oklahoma State this year and then play the other three South Division foes next season. In the third year, the Buffs would play Texas, Texas A&M and OSU again but at the opposite site from this season.

The league already has completed future schedules through the 2014 season and it`s likely any changes would not take effect until 2015. However, it`s possible changes could be instituted sooner if there was broad agreement for one option.

"We`re hopeful that we can find some models we can build some consensus around," Bohn said.

Multiple models are expected to be discussed, with the possibility that no changes will be made. Some have proposed in the past that historic rivalries should be played every year regardless of divisions. The most notable game fitting that description in the Big 12 is the Nebraska-Oklahoma game.

Those teams will meet this weekend in Lincoln, Neb. They used to play at or near the end of the regular season every year during the heyday of the old Big Eight Conference, but the rivalry has lost some of its luster since the Big 12 formed and adopted the current scheduling method.

"I think there is no question it's changed," OU coach Bob Stoops said Monday. "It's different. You think back in the old Big Eight days and for so many year it was Oklahoma and Nebraska at the top of the league and battling at the end of the season every year. There is no denying the difference now and that it just has changed and you don't play every year and you're not in the same division."

Other 12-team leagues have different scheduling models, which keep historical rivalries in place each year between teams from opposite divisions. Some teams from opposite divisions in the Atlantic Coast Conference and the Southeastern Conference can go as long as three seasons without playing each other. Clemson from the Atlantic Division in the ACC and North Carolina from the Coastal Division have played one time in the past six seasons since the ACC expanded to 12 teams.

Bohn said he supports playing most opponents within the division later in the season, which is the case under the current Big 12 model. But he also would like to see Texas and Oklahoma have to come to Boulder occasionally in November instead of always playing those teams at the start of conference play in late September or early October.

Bohn is my new favorite idiot but he makes some sense in this regard. My question to you Husker fans that love to dry hump OU's leg, if you get your annual match with OU and even get it on Thanksgiving, what happens when your schedule includes UT/OU/TT all in the same year? Is your desire for nostalgia so high that you risk losing the division and the chance for the conference so you can relish your past? Even great teams would have a hard time with that schedule.

Indeed, that would make it much tougher. But Florida, LSU and Alabama have such difficult schedules, so bring it on. Pelini will have to get us up to speed in order to compete if that happens some day. But you should never shy away from tough competition like that.

I completely agree. I think it would be great to face OU every year, even though the past ten years they've been much, much better. But even when OU was down in the 90's it was still a big game and a lot of fun.

The SEC does a good job of working with rivalries, not against them. I thought it was foolish to do away with this rivalry in '96... I'm excited some people are still thinking about bringing it back.

And yeah, it could make the schedule more difficult but so be it.

Bohn is my new favorite idiot but he makes some sense in this regard. My question to you Husker fans that love to dry hump OU's leg, if you get your annual match with OU and even get it on Thanksgiving, what happens when your schedule includes UT/OU/TT all in the same year? Is your desire for nostalgia so high that you risk losing the division and the chance for the conference so you can relish your past? Even great teams would have a hard time with that schedule.

That is our schedule this year, and last. Not my favorite.

yea i've always felt sorry for KU on their schedule. but on the flip side that magical 07 year was a result of this current setup.

No doubt, what would suck is when you have a really good team but your conference schedule works against you. If Florida this year had to play at LSU/Alabama/Ole Miss they would have at least 1 loss and if anyone else in the SEC East was worth a darn that could mean trouble. Imagine if Georgia was good and played Miss St./Arkansas/Ole Miss one would argue that they had an easier time and could win the division ahead of a better team, it just doesn't make any sense to me to overdo your schedule for the sake of nostalgia. If we had playoffs and you got at large bids then yes, by all means, but when you are basically battling a computer then screw it. Especially since the computers love the SEC and Big 12.

• 3 weeks later...

If you want to be conference champion you're going to have the beat the best there is so, doesn't really matter who, if you want to be the best, beat the best.

If you want to be conference champion you're going to have the beat the best there is so, doesn't really matter who, if you want to be the best, beat the best.

Cliche, a teams schedule dictates in college football their chances to win their conference. I was listening to ESPN radio the other day and they were discussing all of USC's home games next season and how they will rebound. Who you play and where you play makes a huge difference.

i can argue either way i guess, but what makes me lean to the side of not caring if we play the toughest teams every year is what happens when programs do like Kstate and granny snyder did in the 90's...they went all in on beating the best team in the league, Nebraska, and not settling for just winning the games others thought they could/should. Someone will point out grannies cupcake noncon scheduling, but his focus on beating the best he knew, and maybe more importantly what everyone else defined as 'the best', is what pushed that team to ultimately jump into the national spotlight, be taken seriously, and make playing all the other teams on his schedule that much easier. While they never reached the ultimate plateau of beating Nebraska every year, they become a heck of a lot better and went on an amazing run. We all know what happened when granny left and kstate went with a different attitude.

The every other year game instead of 2 on, 2 off, makes sense to me. Some teams (like us) only had to face Vince Young as a freshman, some had to face him in both of his big years, just for example. Plus it seems like you'd keep more up to date on all of the teams in the other division without a 2 year layoff.

As much as I like the NU-OU rivalry, there aren't any others that makes sense to me. I don't really care how the SEC does it, plus there were at 10 teams for quite awhile, so there were more rivalries when they went to divisions. We added 4 teams, which means all we did was move 2 to a division with them. I don't think Okie St is really missing any rivalry games. We aren't even OU's rival game. So you'd be messing with the closest thing to equality to give one team back its rivalry game. If this was anybody else pushing for it, especially Texas, we'd be screaming.

• 2 weeks later...