Flyover Saturday

We have two Apache Lonbgows at the Air National Guard base now. They could fly those guys over. If you haven't heard or seen them fly by before, they're a sight to behold. The engines sound like no other aircraft I've heard, and visually they're just a badass aircraft.

They could do a flyover with four Blackhawks, four Chinooks (or whatever those twin prop things are we have now) and a couple of Apaches, and that would be pretty impressive.

Meh...20 years in the AF and flyby's don't dingle my dangle

You may get a little jaded seeing some of these cool planes every day, but for those of us who don't it's still special. I see the P-51 that did the flyover at the ISU game every month or so, but it's still cool to watch that plane go by. It's a lethal-looking machine 60 years after it was first introduced, and probably always will be.

I've seen those Apaches fly by the house probably 8-10 times now, but every time it's still cool. I can't imagine a more awesome looking aircraft.

Any time a fighter stops into the airport for refueling on a leg across the country, it's cool to watch them come in and take off again. Especially F-18s - that's a crazy airplane. The power those things have, even three miles away on the other side of the runway, when they open up both afterburners and scoot away, it shakes the house and sounds like the sky is ripping in half. F-16s & F-15s are also cool, but they don't have as much raw power as the F-18 (or, at least they don't sound as powerful, or their pilots don't show off as much as the 18s pilots do... who knows).

We haven't had more than a couple of A-10s fly past that I've seen in the past ten years, but they're still a neat, if ugly, plane to see go by.

Heck, the 747s that come over from Offutt to do touch-and-goes, the ones with the extra command module bump just behind the cockpit, I've seen that thing go by 250 time now, but each time I stop to take a look. It's such a massive airplane, and it looks like it's just hovering there until it approaches the ground and you see how quick it's really going, that's always impressive to me.

I like the F4s we used to fly in this air wing, but even the KC-135s are kind of cool to watch go by, especially when they all take off for a mission, five or six at a time.

I guess I just like planes, huh? :)

Understandable! knapplc :)

I get asked a lot about planes when I'm out and about in the nearby city while in uniform. For me, the coolest thing I've seen while in the AF was while I was stationed at Edwards in the very early 90's. The F-22 and F-23 were still competing. On one particular day, the F-15E chase plane came across the dry lake-bed in full AB. The F-22 started his rollout just as the F-15E was nearing the approach end of the runway. It was all the F-15E could do to keep up with the F-22 as he rolled out and took-off. The F-15E was the only plane that is/was remotely capable of keeping up with the Raptor and even then, it has to fly in full AB the entire time.

Even though I hated being at Edwards, it was still cool because of the different airplanes out there.

What would I like to see?

Bring the SR-71 out of retirement, and fly one over at Mach 3. Unfortunately we'd need new windows in the press box . . . and maybe an entirely new structure.

Still the most awe inspiring airplane of the last 100 years. 40 years old . . . and still untouchable performance wise.