Nebraska is Number 9

Yet Iowa's QB threw 5 picks last Saturday against a team much better than ISU, but the Hawkeye's had the will, the mental toughness, and intestinal fortitude the right officials in place to win. Winners always find a way to win. NU of old used to be able to do that.

Fixed it for ya. Without that nonsense overturned call, Indiana is up 17 going into the final quarter, at which point they drop eight into coverage and let Stanzi dink and dunk or continue to force INTs. Indiana got bad call after bad call after bad call and eventually gave in. Facing an undefeated team, 75,000 fans and a team of officials was just too much. Without incompetent (corrupt?) refs, Indiana runs away with that game, and every bandwagon Hawk fan is calling for Stanzi's head. So let's not use that game to prove Iowa's mental toughness. The Michigan State or Wisconsin games, fine. But certainly not Indiana. Hell, take away that bizarre tipped INT and a handful of really damning calls against Indiana, and the Hoosiers win by 30 and knock Iowa out of the top 10.

Iowa > Nebraska. No argument there... mostly because of a talented and well-coached offensive line. But Iowa is not that great. Wouldn't surprise me (or many others) if Northwestern gives them a game.

Actually you didn't. Iowa came back from a huge deficit and won by 18 points. Iowa's mental toughness is what helped them overcome the huge deficit on their way to victory. Again, I'm not Iowa fan, but I give them credit for not quitting. I guess being open minded allows me to do this.

OK, but momentum is real and the refs left Iowa in a position to be heroes. Down only 10 despite having been dominated 90% of the game up to that point, Iowa took advantage of Indiana's overzealous defense that was trying to fight against the tide of disgusting officiating, leaving two relatively easy throws for Stanzi to connect on two LONG pass plays. After that, Indiana was spent. It was over and everybody knew it. So, two plays the receivers simply outran their coverage and Stanzi made pretty easy throws on crossing routes. That's not exactly the embodiment of mental toughness. But I gather you probably didn't watch the entire game from start to finish. Like I said earlier, without being bent over by the officials, Indiana has a massive lead entering the fourth and Iowa's great mental toughness translates to Stanzi throwing another couple picks and Iowa getting booed out of their own stadium.

wow... a thread about nu's offense becomes a indiana got ripped off thread.

yup.

Indiana lost a td, many will argue two. the replay officials (blind or not) made their decision and life must go on.

but when the game ended, iowa had the most points on the board.

all arguments become moot and alternate results (woulda, shoulda, coulda) become conjecture.

iowa is 9-0 with three games remaining.

I highly doubt they win out.

IMO- if iowa/isu was replayed. the hawks would still win.

easily.

AA and ARob are still banged up and couldn't beat the hawks when they weren't.

but again-- all arguments become moot and alternate results (woulda, shoulda, coulda) become conjecture.

it is what it is. :)

I agree with everything said by clone. Iowa has taken care of business up to this point. And man did this thread get hijacked...

I think Iowa's season is directly related to Nebraska being Number 9, and you cannot discuss one without the other.

Some of us can. :nutz

Vince, correct me if I'm wrong, and I'm sure you will, but you were the first to bring up Iowa. Nebraska's season is disappointing, but there is still hope. I think next year can easily be our breakthrough season. If we get our offense and defense to play at the same level during the season, we will be a top 3 team in the Big XII.

I agree with everything said by clone. Iowa has taken care of business up to this point. And man did this thread get hijacked...

I think Iowa's season is directly related to Nebraska being Number 9, and you cannot discuss one without the other.

Vince, correct me if I'm wrong, and I'm sure you will, but you were the first to bring up Iowa. Nebraska's season is disappointing, but there is still hope. I think next year can easily be our breakthrough season. If we get our offense and defense to play at the same level during the season, we will be a top 3 team in the Big XII.

It depends on if those same levels are great. If they are - then yes. If they are poor, like this years offense, then the answer is no.

I fear this time next year we'll be having this same conversation.

Why not, we have been having this conversation since 2002

Maybe....but we shouldn't be. NU should be back to NU-like Football by next year. If not - something is seriously wrong.

Maybe....but we shouldn't be. NU should be back to NU-like Football by next year. If not - something is seriously wrong.

I dont see how our Offense can improve that much in such a short amount of time. I think we are still a few years away from being BCS bowl team

I dont see how our Offense can improve that much in such a short amount of time. I think we are still a few years away from being BCS bowl team

Let's hope you are wrong.

Let's hope you are wrong.

well right now that only positions on O I would consider average for a top15 or so school is RB and TE. I think the QB can improve to that level(though I am not sold on cody green, mainly because I havent seen him enough) wr and line are not even close right now IMO. sure its possible to be a great team with a mediocre offense, but you have to have an elite defense, which I just dont see us have(although it should be very very good)