Nebraska is Number 9

Disappointment, yes, but again there are reasons for it.

3rd String QB, unproven, untested. Learning the ropes. 2nd String injured before the season. Cody, a baby in every sense of college football. Too grand of expectations placed on him.

Helu getting hurt, Castille, screwing up, Burkhead injured.

When you lose your skill players on offense you have real trouble. Just one normally causes losses. We have had way more than our fair share.

I thought 8-4 maybe 9-3 this year, and with the injuries and problems we have had the 8-4 is still possible.

Would I have predicted those numbers if I had known how the injuries would be. NO.

So even though they have not played like we want them to. They still have a chance to be sucessful this year.

I have always said we are another two years away from having what Bo is looking for. Not so much the players but the attitude of winning, work ethic he recruits and demands.

Sad about how things have gone, disappointed for the kids, but not in the kids.

I appreciate your post, but how do you explain losing to a really bad ISU team made worse with their starting QB and RB not playing? Losing to ISU, under these and any circumstance is a joke.

The same is said for TT. They were, all across the board, less experienced than NU yet they came to Lincoln and won a game they never should have been in. They lost a great starting QB and first round receiver. They were playing their 2nd string QB at that.

This team is not an NU team. Sure they are wearing NU uniforms, but are not playing NU-like Football. Until they start, being disappointed in the players is more accurate than being disappointed for them.

Even though I am not wrong, I wish I were. If I am wrong, we'll see it this this weekend and through out the rest of the year.

I have plenty of respect for Iowa's first 8 wins, but anyone trying to give them credit for the Indiana game absolutely did not watch the game. Because anyone that did, and I've seen level-headed comments from fans of just about every school out there (including Iowa), knows that the replay officials handed Iowa that game. Even writers in Iowa have basically admitted it.

There is no question....Indiana got screwed by the replay guys. But Iowa still won the game. Something NU couldn't do against both TT and ISU.

I was excited as all hell when I saw Iowa was getting beat. I was really disappointed when I saw they came back from being so far down to win. For that I have to give them the respect that NU has falied to earn.

I understand what your saying.

I just can not make that step. Some have and I undertand why.

I am disappointed for them, sad that things did not go as we had wanted, but I see reasons for it.

I feel differently about Texas Tech. I think they have the third best talent in the conference at worst. I think they have the best coach in the conference offensively. I think he gets far more out of his kids than anyone in the conference.

Iowa state was a nightmare. But to me Baylor was worse. We were out coached in the second half. Not out talented.

I understand what your saying.

I just can not make that step. Some have and I undertand why.

I am disappointed for them, sad that things did not go as we had wanted, but I see reasons for it.

I feel differently about Texas Tech. I think they have the third best talent in the conference at worst. I think they have the best coach in the conference offensively. I think he gets far more out of his kids than anyone in the conference.

Iowa state was a nightmare. But to me Baylor was worse. We were out coached in the second half. Not out talented.

nice post. I disagree about TT, but I like what you said and how you said it.

Why is everyone so down on Iowa? Good teams find ways to win. Nobody wants to give them any respect cause they aren't winning by 50.

I agree people only use scores when its convenient to legitimize their own team. Against VT people boasted how good they were becuase they barely lost to VT. They used the closeness of the score to legitimize there season. That worked until they saw the Huskers lose three times and VT started losing games of their own.

Regardless to the score win is a win loss is a loss. It was easier to talk about how badly we played in the Baylor game in the second half with a win instead of a loss. I give respect to any team that is able to get wins in the games they are supposed to win.

I don't think Nebraska is a disappointment... they can still win the North, and if they do, how are they a disappointment? Were people expecting a Big 12 title with Texas and OK on the other side? I think people were expecting a North title this year so they still have a chance to fulfill expectations.

No...they are not a disappointment. They've only lost to two teams, at home, they never should have lost to. Are no longer starting the best QB, and the o-line can't open consistant holes through news paper.

A team that should be, at worst, 7 -1 but is 5-3 with one of those loses being to ISU at home, is a disappointment. If they lose anymore games this year, with the exception of this Saturday, they will have moved from disappointment to joke.

A college football team consisting of 18-22 year olds putting every ounce of effort into playing football and sometimes trying too hard is never a joke, at least not to me. is 5-3 at this point a disappointment... definately, but not a joke.

When two of those are loses are to teams NU should have won and won BIG, that 5 - 3 becomes a joke. When both of those loses were at home. It becomes more than a joke.

i thought you said they weren't a joke yet... <_<

I corrected myself. After reevaluating how bad ISU is, and losing to them at home, put NU in the joke catagory.

I wish that ISU game was a joke! Unfortunately it wasn't. We really lost 9-7 at home to a bad team missing it's starting QB and RB. Oh yeah, and we also turned the ball over a school record 8 times. Anyone who doesn't think that makes a punchline for a joke needs to start sharing whatever they're smoking.

Yet Iowa's QB threw 5 picks last Saturday against a team much better than ISU, but the Hawkeye's had the will, the mental toughness, and intestinal fortitude to win. Winners always find a way to win. NU of old used to be able to do that.

Oh for the record and to stop potential whining, I am not an Iowa fan.

were did the TO happen for iowa? i didnt see the game. not all TO's are the same. 4 insid he 5 killed us. if one of those fumbles goes out of bounds and we kick a FG we win.

Iowa is the luckiest team in the country. And no, you do not create your own luck otherwise it would not be luck now would it? Iowa is not even a top 25 team IMO... they should have 3+ losses and a few to some schools nobody has ever cared/ heard about. If they do not lose they will get decimated by anyone they play in a bowl game. Most overrated team ever, and yes, I am including Notre Dame.

Yet Iowa's QB threw 5 picks last Saturday against a team much better than ISU, but the Hawkeye's had the will, the mental toughness, and intestinal fortitude the right officials in place to win. Winners always find a way to win. NU of old used to be able to do that.

Fixed it for ya. Without that nonsense overturned call, Indiana is up 17 going into the final quarter, at which point they drop eight into coverage and let Stanzi dink and dunk or continue to force INTs. Indiana got bad call after bad call after bad call and eventually gave in. Facing an undefeated team, 75,000 fans and a team of officials was just too much. Without incompetent (corrupt?) refs, Indiana runs away with that game, and every bandwagon Hawk fan is calling for Stanzi's head. So let's not use that game to prove Iowa's mental toughness. The Michigan State or Wisconsin games, fine. But certainly not Indiana. Hell, take away that bizarre tipped INT and a handful of really damning calls against Indiana, and the Hoosiers win by 30 and knock Iowa out of the top 10.

Iowa > Nebraska. No argument there... mostly because of a talented and well-coached offensive line. But Iowa is not that great. Wouldn't surprise me (or many others) if Northwestern gives them a game.

Yet Iowa's QB threw 5 picks last Saturday against a team much better than ISU, but the Hawkeye's had the will, the mental toughness, and intestinal fortitude the right officials in place to win. Winners always find a way to win. NU of old used to be able to do that.

Fixed it for ya. Without that nonsense overturned call, Indiana is up 17 going into the final quarter, at which point they drop eight into coverage and let Stanzi dink and dunk or continue to force INTs. Indiana got bad call after bad call after bad call and eventually gave in. Facing an undefeated team, 75,000 fans and a team of officials was just too much. Without incompetent (corrupt?) refs, Indiana runs away with that game, and every bandwagon Hawk fan is calling for Stanzi's head. So let's not use that game to prove Iowa's mental toughness. The Michigan State or Wisconsin games, fine. But certainly not Indiana. Hell, take away that bizarre tipped INT and a handful of really damning calls against Indiana, and the Hoosiers win by 30 and knock Iowa out of the top 10.

Iowa > Nebraska. No argument there... mostly because of a talented and well-coached offensive line. But Iowa is not that great. Wouldn't surprise me (or many others) if Northwestern gives them a game.

Actually you didn't. Iowa came back from a huge deficit and won by 18 points. Iowa's mental toughness is what helped them overcome the huge deficit on their way to victory. Again, I'm not Iowa fan, but I give them credit for not quitting. I guess being open minded allows me to do this.

Guys Iowa is 9-0 in a big six conference. They deserve credit for gritting out victories. They may not be as good as their record but wouldn't Husker fans be complaining if we were 9-0 and unranked. To say they aren't even a top 25 team is an injustice to what they've done which is the only thing that matters in the rankings...win.