There is Still some big red love out there

crispy

http://www.examiner.com/x-2792-Nebraska-Co...ska-vs-Oklahoma

Last week in Waco the Huskers got a much needed win with the help of true freshman quarterback Cody Green. It wasn't pretty but at this point in the season I'll take a victory in any fashion. Nebraska's opponent this Saturday would more than likely say the same thing. Everyone by now knows Oklahoma has really struggled with injuries especially that of former Heisman winner Sam Bradford and All-American tight end Jermaine Gresham. Just like the Huskers, the Sooners also unexpectedly have three losses. The difference between the Big Red and the Crimson and Cream is OU's losses are by a combined five points with all three opponents being ranked.

Unlike their Big 12 Championship run last season, Oklahoma is now working with an offense that struggles to score at times, but still has the ability to put a hurting on opponents. This season, on the defensive side of the ball, the Sooners are as deadly as ever and without a doubt has one of the best defenses in the country. On the year, the OU defense is allowing just 12.6 points per game. Led by defensive tackle Gerald McCoy, the Sooner defense will definitely be licking their chops against an overwhelmingly stagnant Husker offense especially with true freshman Cody Green more than likely starting under center again.

The good thing for Nebraska is the blackshirt defense could very well be just as good as the Sooners. If you take out of consideration two opposing defensive touchdowns this season (Texas Tech and Baylor) the Husker defense is allowing only 9.5 points per game. For the Huskers there's no doubt their success starts up front on the defensive line. If Suh, Crick, Allen and Turner can get a strong rush and shut down the Sooner ground game, the odds of a Husker upset greatly increases. It's a night game in the Sea of Red so if Bo Pelini's blackshirts force Landry Jones into pressure packed passing situations Nebraska very well could force several turnovers in what will be a hostile environment.

Now like I said before, I can only imagine that Cody Green will once again be starting the game. That being said, it's vital that Dontrayevous Robinson is on his game and can be a bruiser much like he was versus Iowa State and Baylor. Robinson got a bit banged up last week against the Bear which is why much wasn't seen of him the second half. The big thing for both Robinson and Green is that they don't have to go out and attempt to win the game themselves. If each player has a solid game and simply concentrate on clock management, the offense will be in good shape.

Now I fully expect Helu to play as well and excuse for being a but pessimistic but each game since Missouri, Helu has been expected to be healthy enough to play and it just hasn't shown. So unless something drastically changes this week, I just don't see Helu being super effective against Oklahoma. I do however think that in order to pull off a victory offensive coordinator Shawn Watson will have to allow Green to throw the ball down field in hopes of making a big play. Unfortunately there is just no way the Nebraska offense will be able to consistently put together 10-12 play drives on such a tough Sooner defense. There hasn't't been nearly as many trick plays as last season, so Saturday maybe the time to call a few if the Huskers want success on offense.

One play maker the Huskers will have to keep an eye on is wide receiver Ryan Broyles. Coming back from injury, Broyles looked to return back to old former against a much improved Kansas State team last week as he snatched up eight receptions for 91 yards and two touchdowns. So if the blackshirt defense can indeed force Oklahoma to throw the ball, it will be extremely important that the defensive line gets as much pressure as possible on Jones. It pry wouldn't't be a bad idea for Carl and Bo to thrown in some shifty blitz packages as well.

Anything can happen under the lights at Memorial Stadium, especially when it involves one of the greatest rivalries in college football history. I fully expect this game to be an all out slug fest between two of the best defenses in the nation. The outcome could very well depend on who makes one or two costly turnovers. That being said, I truly hope Pelini allows his defense to be more aggressive this weekend in an attempt to jump a few routs and grab some interceptions, rather than just giving the Sooners short passes.

Throw the records out the window, when it comes to the Sooners versus the Huskers, both teams will be playing for pride and attempt to build some momentum for the second half of the conference schedule. So far this season I have regressed from being a homer by picking against the Big Red on every game in which they weren't favored. However there just seems to be a special aura and feeling about this game and a victory would go along ways for the Huskers if they are able to pull off an upset. So here it goes.

Prediction Nebraska 23 Oklahoma 21

The difference between the Big Red and the Crimson and Cream is OU's losses are by a combined five points with all three opponents being ranked.
People seem to forget this. :moreinteresting

Yes unfortunately, we've played some pretty weak teams and in the case of Misery, a weak team in nasty conditions. Because of that our defense scoring stats look very good. But it is something of a mirage. If we had played the three teams that beat OU, our points allowed would likely be off the charts. It's hard to compare an ISU team without their QB or RB to Tejas. It's hard to compare Misery with a limping QB in the rain to Miami or BYU. And of course TT scored points on us.

Though OU is really down offensively, we will not likely shut them down like the author believes, nor will Green and Robinson be anywhere nearly the best that a very good OU defense has seen. KSU played em well for much of the game. I hope we can do the same thing on TV.

The difference between the Big Red and the Crimson and Cream is OU's losses are by a combined five points with all three opponents being ranked.
People seem to forget this. :moreinteresting

Yes unfortunately, we've played some pretty weak teams and in the case of Misery, a weak team in nasty conditions. Because of that our defense scoring stats look very good. But it is something of a mirage. If we had played the three teams that beat OU, our points allowed would likely be off the charts. It's hard to compare an ISU team without their QB or RB to Tejas. It's hard to compare Misery with a limping QB in the rain to Miami or BYU. And of course TT scored points on us.

Though OU is really down offensively, we will not likely shut them down like the author believes, nor will Green and Robinson be anywhere nearly the best that a very good OU defense has seen. KSU played em well for much of the game. I hope we can do the same thing on TV.

But you have to realize that we forced their QB to be limping in the rain. Can't hold that against the D.

I also disagree that our scoring D's points would be off the charts had we played the teams OU lost too. Our D is good. However, until they play some quality opposition (IE this weekend), its hard to tell how good. TT was an anomaly because of the way the game played out (losing the momentum early, never really being in the game, etc).

i sure hope there is some big red love out there..... because on this board it seems like everybody already put it as a lost.... o well PH&%K them so called "true" fans... GO HUSKERS...

nebraska-30

oklahoma- 17

with the line in vegas right now at 5.5......... i hope a lot of people loose some money on this one :laughpound:rollin

i sure hope there is some big red love out there..... because on this board it seems like everybody already put it as a lost.... o well PH&%K them so called "true" fans... GO HUSKERS...

nebraska-30

oklahoma- 17

with the line in vegas right now at 5.5......... i hope a lot of people loose some money on this one :laughpound:rollin

I'm very much a true fan and I pray your prediction comes true, but if I had to make a prediction my heart says Huskers 21 OU 20 but my head says OU 28 Huskers 13. Our D will keep us in it, it just depends if our O can score enough to win.