What do you want to see from the offense in the next 3 games?

carlfense

Let me preface this with a disclaimer. Watson knows more about football than I ever will. I wish we had a different OC, but I'm not delusional about my own knowledge. Also . . . this isn't so much about what we have in the future . . . more just about what I want to see with the pieces we have to work with in 2009.

The carlfense offense

1. Power running game at least 50% of the time. Power sets, tight ends, fullback, 1 (2 at most) WR split out.

2. 20% of the time hit the tight ends on mid-length play action passes. (in my dream offense, McNeill NEVER leaves the field. Ever.)

3. 10% of the time use change-up runs: counters, traps, etc.

4. 10% of the time bootleg the QB (Lee or Green) out with a tight end and a receiver paralleling him.

5. 5% designed QB runs (only if Green is the QB).

6. 5% shots downfield to the WR's (Paul, Gilleylen, Cooper, etc.)

In particular there would be ZERO:

1. Horizontal passing game/bubble screen.

2. 5 yard out routes.

3. Speed option out of the shotgun.

4. Zac Lee trying to run either an option or a zone read.

5. Trying to turn Cody Green into a pocket passer.

A 65-35 run-pass offense with no short passes or screens?

That sounds well reasoned.

65-35 run-pass? This year . . . absolutely. Our defense is world class. We probably only need to score 17 points a game to win the next 3. (that could be entirely wrong . . . just me speculating). Don't throw the defense into a hole by turning the ball over by slinging it all over the field. Give Helu/Robinson the ball and let them do their thing. If they don't score every drive . . . no big deal. Punt. Pin the other team deep and let the defense do their thing. It worked against the best team of our last 4. No reason it can't work again.

Edit: apparently our coaches are not well reasoned either . . . they ran 75% of the time against OU.

Power running... the offensive line (and Legate) will get better at it as we continue to do it in games. Get McNeill open on the playaction. Try some quick slants when they appear open pre-snap. Call some creative screens to Helu or Robinson. Don't run the option with Zac Lee.

Results-wise, score a touchdown on a long drive (> 50 yards) at least once in each of our remaining games. Score at least 20 points.

A 65-35 run-pass offense with no short passes or screens?

That sounds well reasoned.

65-35 run-pass? This year . . . absolutely. Our defense is world class. We probably only need to score 17 points a game to win the next 3. (that could be entirely wrong . . . just me speculating). Don't throw the defense into a hole by turning the ball over by slinging it all over the field. Give Helu/Robinson the ball and let them do their thing. If they don't score every drive . . . no big deal. Punt. Pin the other team deep and let the defense do their thing. It worked against the best team of our last 4. No reason it can't work again.

Edit: apparently our coaches are not well reasoned either . . . they ran 75% of the time against OU.

Oh, that was a great game plan for OU. But our offense is multiple and flexible and the gameplan can change from week to week. In the end I think it will even out.

We can't just simply become one dimensional and expect to do anything. Our RBs are already hurting and our O-line is not very good. We can't run Helu into the ground either. I can see the argument for a more conservative approach though. The 65-35 split wasn't my biggest concern but I do think that is tipping the scales.

But when you do pass, you're going to totally cut out short outs? Screens? ONLY playaction, rollout, and deep throws? I just don't see the logic in that. Where are the slants, hooks, corners, drags, crosses, etc, etc?

It would be fantastic to see one cohesive unit. Parts of our offense have shown sparks at different times throughout the season, but never at the same time. Right when we get in a rhythm offensively, there's always a self-imposed offensive hurdle that stops that momentum. Then we fall flat and cannot recover. Be it a holding call inside the red zone, a fumble, a poorly thrown pass to an open WR, a great pass that a WR drops, etc.

The Husker offense has never been on the same page for an entire game this entire season. It's as simple as that. The minute they pull this whole picture together and play cohesively, we have a whole different offensive unit - with the exact same players we have out on that field right now.

:w00t:w00t:w00t:w00t:w00t:w00t:w00t:w00t:w00t:w00t:w00t

In particular there would be ZERO:

2. 5 yard out routes.

What's wrong with these? It's an easy throw for the Quarterback, and other than WR drops, it's been effective this year, especially in 3rd down situations.

I'd have to go back and look to be sure . . . but I don't remember these being effective at all (other than the Sunbelt games) unless the QB rolls out the same way as the WR/TE. If that is the case it'd fall within my bootleg section. Are you talking about 5 yard out passes from the pocket or on bootlegs?