One major step to fix the offense or..............

Travis9

at least get it moving in a somewhhat positive direction.

The first time we have 3rd and long and we are at our 35 or better call a timeout.

Call the entire offense over

get in the OLine arse and tell them this one play they have to protect.

call a play that involves deep routes only

take the QB aside and tell him that no matter what, this one play, do not DO NOT check down. Tell the QB that the ball has to go deep. It is OK if the throw is picked. just force him to throw the ball downfield. It is fine to throw a pick and if it does get picked that the QB won't get benched.

I think this would be a major step to shaking the cobwebbs out of the QB's heads and putting a little confidence into them.

This only works if Lee is the QB in my plan.

I know this is stupid and all but i actually think this would work.

You obviously know more about offensive football and our football team than anybody else the University could have paid hundreds of thousands of dollars to, who also study this team and it is their job to fix the offense. Right now it's Watson. If we really wanted, Bo could go out and find another top-notch guy to do the same job.

Think it'll be you? I don't. So don't act like you know everything and these coaches are idiots compared to you.

Ok guy,

I do not think he was trying to proclaim his amazing play calling ability. He was just suggesting an idea that is a little far-fetched. (at this point we should be willing to try anything) Although what he is saying is simplistic, he has a good point. Maybe if for a drive or two Watson says "hey you know what kid, air it out and make something happen". We would be better off. Because our offense is pathetic. You can talk about past all you want. Even if it was just a year ago. The condition the Nebraska offense is in is unacceptable. Yea we are 77th in scoring offense, which sadly most people like YOU try to point out as a strong point in your argument. The whole "we are not that bad plee. cause we are better then half the country". We have premier facilities, a pretty good coaching staff and decent hard working players as a whole. So 77th in the nation in scoring offense is not going to cut it. Considering we scored more than half of those points against the Sun-Belt. Anyways its guys like you who piss me off. You are the idiot. You insult anybody who talks about how our offense is terrible. Or when someone makes a suggestion that you do not agree with. He just throwing it out there for thought like " hey what if he did do this"? you think these forums really mean anything? like it is going to affect anything that has to do with what happens on saturday at all? NOPE! its a place for discussion and debate. Not insulting people because your ignorant.

ME- WIN

YOU- LOSE

pot_kettle.jpg

just sayin.....

The first time we have 3rd and long and we are at our 35 or better call a timeout.

take the QB aside and tell him that no matter what, this one play, do not DO NOT check down. Tell the QB that the ball has to go deep. It is OK if the throw is picked. just force him to throw the ball downfield. It is fine to throw a pick and if it does get picked that the QB won't get benched.

I think this would be a major step to shaking the cobwebbs out of the QB's heads and putting a little confidence into them.

You obviously know more about offensive football and our football team than anybody else the University could have paid hundreds of thousands of dollars to, who also study this team and it is their job to fix the offense. Right now it's Watson. If we really wanted, Bo could go out and find another top-notch guy to do the same job.

Think it'll be you? I don't. So don't act like you know everything and these coaches are idiots compared to you.

Ok guy,

I do not think he was trying to proclaim his amazing play calling ability. He was just suggesting an idea that is a little far-fetched. (at this point we should be willing to try anything) Although what he is saying is simplistic, he has a good point. Maybe if for a drive or two Watson says "hey you know what kid, air it out and make something happen". We would be better off. Because our offense is pathetic. You can talk about past all you want. Even if it was just a year ago. The condition the Nebraska offense is in is unacceptable. Yea we are 77th in scoring offense, which sadly most people like YOU try to point out as a strong point in your argument. The whole "we are not that bad plee. cause we are better then half the country". We have premier facilities, a pretty good coaching staff and decent hard working players as a whole. So 77th in the nation in scoring offense is not going to cut it. Considering we scored more than half of those points against the Sun-Belt. Anyways its guys like you who piss me off. You are the idiot. You insult anybody who talks about how our offense is terrible. Or when someone makes a suggestion that you do not agree with. He just throwing it out there for thought like " hey what if he did do this"? you think these forums really mean anything? like it is going to affect anything that has to do with what happens on saturday at all? NOPE! its a place for discussion and debate. Not insulting people because your ignorant.

ME- WIN

YOU- LOSE

pot_kettle.jpg

just sayin.....

Good point haha. I guess I kind of went off in a rant and didnt realize I was being one of those D bags. Its frustrating though. I still stand behind what I said however.

it might seem simplistic, but I agree with the poster. if you get it down there far enough, its kinda like a punt anyway (if its picked). and right now, all we are doing is punting a whole bunch anyway.

my idea is that when our guys line up at the LoS, they should tell the defense the play they are running. It will either a) confuse the hell out of them because of the supposed complexity of our offense or b ) be about the same as every other down.

That was quite uncalled for. Never did he say or act like the coaches are idiots, he even admitted that the idea is far fetched. He was just offering an opinion, nothing more, you Sir, need to relax.

Back on topic. It does puzzle me as to why we don't open the field up more than we do. Defenses know this and therefore stack the line on us. I also don't get why we don't use our Tight ends more, unfortunetly, I don't have the answers. I do hope we stick more with the ground game we seem to be developing, hopefully that will open up some play action passes and we actually attemp them.

Double post.

One thing that amazes me about Wats is that he never seems to come back to something that worked well. I remember in the OU game, they faked to Helu and then on play action threw it to Helu as the D-End came at Lee and Helu had a decent gain. Not once did they run it again the rest of the game, and that was about an easy of a pass as you can make. It's almost like Watson has a shrine designated to plays that "work" and once he's proven they work, he sends them there to never be seen again!

It's not just playcalling....it's the philosophy. In Lee's first game, he looked comfortable and took shots...scrambled for a first down....

He's being taught to play conservative. To not force things. This tells me that watson doesn't have the same confidence with Lee as he did Joe.

I think a lot more of that had to do with Ganz changing plays, and most importantly making plays. Ganz made a lot of broken plays successful due to his ability to avoid the rush, get out of the pocket, keep his eyes down field and throw on the run. I think Ganz made Watson look a lot better than he normally would have, after all, look at when Keller was at the helm.

It's not just playcalling....it's the philosophy. In Lee's first game, he looked comfortable and took shots...scrambled for a first down....

He's being taught to play conservative. To not force things. This tells me that watson doesn't have the same confidence with Lee as he did Joe.

I think a lot more of that had to do with Ganz changing plays, and most importantly making plays. Ganz made a lot of broken plays successful due to his ability to avoid the rush, get out of the pocket, keep his eyes down field and throw on the run. I think Ganz made Watson look a lot better than he normally would have, after all, look at when Keller was at the helm.

true dat.....and Ganz held a clipboard for 3 years as well....had plenty of time to learn the "worst coast offense"!

You obviously know more about Defensive football and our football team than anybody else the University could have paid hundreds of thousands of dollars to, who also study this team and it is their job to fix the Defense. Right now it's Cosgrove. If we really wanted, Callahan could go out and find another top-notch guy to do the same job.

This post sounded familiar 2 years ago

Sometimes the coaches are idiots. Just sayin :)

The offense does need to go vertical a lot more than do. Why Watson isn't calling this is puzzling.

I think he is calling them, but the defense shows rush, and the QB checks off. Another problem is that the O-line is not holding the pocket, it is collapsing so fast nobody can get down field. Bottom line, unless the line is going to block, and give who ever the QB is time to throw, it isn't happening. That goes for the run game, too...if they won't block and open holes, we won't have a consistent running game. Without the threat of a running game, it is kind of hard to pass...

Defenses know now that they can just come charging the line, don't even have to disguise the fact they are coming...if we run, they will most likely catch our back in the backfield or at the line, if we pass they will either rush the pass, get a sack or we will throw a short pass into the line that will have no room to go anywhere. We are looking pretty pathetic on offense, and I don't see any thing changing until next season...if then.