Osborne's input

np_husker

Osborne's input

Posted by: Brian Christopherson on November 14, 2009 at 7:01PM CST

I have a feeling this is going to be a big topic in the next few days, so let's get it started. You may have noticed a third-quarter Nebraska offensive play that seemed out of the Husker playbook from the 90s.

Zac Lee started to run the option to his right, then pulled back and found Niles Paul for a 45-yard game inside the Kansas 10. It looked like a play from Scott Frost or Eric Crouch or whoever.

Shawn Watson smiled after the game, recalling it.

"Coach Osborne's input," he said, laughing. "It's serious. Coach Osborne's been awesome. He understands. He gets it. And he never forces anything on me. All he does is say, 'Look, here are some things that you may want to consider now that you are moving into this aspect of your game.' And Coach, he's a beautiful human being...." (Watson got emotionally choked up at this point for a couple seconds). "All those little twists, great stuff, he's helped enhance us. So Coach gets the credit for those."

Osborne's input

I have a feeling this is going to be a big topic in the next few days, so let's get it started. You may have noticed a third-quarter Nebraska offensive play that seemed out of the Husker playbook from the 90s.

Zac Lee started to run the option to his right, then pulled back and found Niles Paul for a 45-yard game inside the Kansas 10. It looked like a play from Scott Frost or Eric Crouch or whoever.

"Coach Osborne's input," he said, laughing. "It's serious. Coach Osborne's been awesome. He understands. He gets it. And he never forces anything on me. All he does is say, 'Look, here are some things that you may want to consider now that you are moving into this aspect of your game.' And Coach, he's a beautiful human being...." (Watson got emotionally choked up at this point for a couple seconds). "All those little twists, great stuff, he's helped enhance us. So Coach gets the credit for those."

I was damn glad to see that play again. It was effective back then even though we ran it 10 times a game. Great addition to a playbook that needed it.

Osborne's input

Yeah, been wanting to see that again. When it happened it brought a huge smile to my face. :horns2

I've been saying all along that they've got one of the best offensive minds to ever grace a football sideline sitting up there in the AD's chair, and that they'd be damn fools not to suck his brain dry at every possible opportunity. It just makes sense to use all the tools at your disposal, doesn't it?

It does and it's nice to hear that they are willing and open to listening to his ideas. They'd be fools not to, thanks Coach Osborne. :thumbs

guys: this is why i think that it is unfounded to want watson to be fired.

he is willing to look at others points of view and he has had good offenses the last few years.

this guy is much better than many of you give him credit for....

I agree. I was on his case for a while but when I heard he sat down with Dr Tom after the baylor game to gather outside input....i felt things were going to be fine.

guys: this is why i think that it is unfounded to want watson to be fired.

he is willing to look at others points of view and he has had good offenses the last few years.

this guy is much better than many of you give him credit for....

Well when I was dogging on Watson...we had some awful playcalling and we kept doing it. So he was stubborn. Helu was out though and that is probably what hurt this offense the most. We still have moments of why would he call that...but he has shown he can change plans and he can take advice. That is why he is starting to get back on my good side and not because we are winning. I thought the Iowa State game was a pretty decent gameplan and it was the players that really messed that game up. Until that game we stayed in the shotgun most of the time and when we went to a singleback...it was an obvious run and everyone knew it. Not to mention, I was calling the plays we were running consistently just based on the formations so I can only imagine what the opposing defense was thinking. He is showing he can adjust though and that's where it all starts.

I really like what he is doing now and it seems like he is setting things up pretty well. Try to pound the ball, stretch the field at times, and get mismatches going. I still think he needs to personally go up to Dr. Tom and just learn everything he can from that man, so it is good he is taking some advice from TO.

So good call B-rent...I will lay off Watson for a bit. I just hope he keeps a power running game going for the rest of his career here, cause that is where you build consistent 10 game wins per season.