Mak and Matt

Do any of you guys listen to these two buffoons? Their show is complete garbage and they sound very bitter because they don’t play anymore or in Makovicka’s case don’t coach anymore. I have tried to listen to it on multiple occasions and every time I have turned it off because it is complete tripe.

After the Va-Tech game Makovicka said that Gerald McCoy was the best DL in the conference and that Suh only knocked down passes because he was getting pushed around at the line and it was a desperation attempt at making a play. He said Suh took to many plays off to be considered great and the DL’s that played when he was playing never took plays off. Also before that game Matt Hoskinson said that Va-Tech’s offense is the offense he thinks Pelini wants to run. :bs: Don’t they kind of run a variation of the spread option? Right around the time that his two born and bred Nebraska brothers were bolting the program he was spouting off how we needed more Nebraska kids that grew up loving the program and would give their heart and soul for it. Hey Joel why don’t you go and talk to your brothers about that one? Finally this week Hoskinson said on air multiple times how he hates Shawn Watson (real professional) and Makovicka then added that if Beck and Watson want to go back to the type of offense they want to run then they should just leave now. He said that you can’t run that kind of offense at Nebraska because of the weather and the lack of recruiting. Funny doesn’t Boise run a spread in a state that has worse climate and recruiting? <_< They also said that they have plenty of friends that are D2 coaches and that if these to I believe he said dumb guys don’t get it those D2 coaches would be more then willing to come to for Nebraska. Didn’t Makovicka only last one year at Virginia as a GA? If he is such a knowledgeable coaching type why doesn’t he have a coaching gig because you can’t tell me that if one was made available to him he wouldn’t take it? They also throw out the comment that Nebraska needs to get a RB like Larry Phillips, Ahman Green or Ricky Williams. :blink: Oh really, we need to get a back that falls in line with 2 of the best to ever play here or one of the best to ever play college football. :bang They also said that Burkhead will never be a game changer and he will be an ok Big 12 back. Then these two smarties went on to ramble off some backs he will end up being like and here is a shocker they only named white guys (Jake Sharp was one of them). :madash

Just because you are a former Husker doesn’t mean you should have your own show and 1620 struck out on this one. Benning is awesome on air, Dr. Rob is awesome on air, Davison, Adrian, Pippens when he fills in, are all really good at what they do. These two goofs make the Legends Radio Show sound like Vin Scully and Joe Buck. :wacko:

I’ve tried to listen to Jason Peter’s show and he is hit or miss for me. He has way too much of the “when I played” crap. When he stays away from that he is pretty good (which doesn’t happen enough).

:moreinteresting:madash:boxosoap:boxosoap:boxosoap:madash:moreinteresting

I didn't read your whole post, but I saw two things that drive me up a wall: Joel Makovicka and Jason Peter.

Don't get me wrong, these guys are former Husker greats and they deserve our respect and gratitude for the things they did on the football field, but they come off as just downright arrogant and "holier than thou" almost every single show. Jason constantly rants about how this team doesn't even come close to being where we were in the 90's, and Joel Makovicka bickers about the same things on his own radio show.

Face it guys, nobody is going to do what you did in the 90's. Great accomplishment, and you deserve our respect. However, you aren't football Gods and your opinions about things are just down right arrogant and repetitive at times.

I didn't read your whole post, but I saw two things that drive me up a wall: Joel Makovicka and Jason Peter.

Don't get me wrong, these guys are former Husker greats and they deserve our respect and gratitude for the things they did on the football field, but they come off as just downright arrogant and "holier than thou" almost every single show. Jason constantly rants about how this team doesn't even come close to being where we were in the 90's, and Joel Makovicka bickers about the same things on his own radio show.

Face it guys, nobody is going to do what you did in the 90's. Great accomplishment, and you deserve our respect. However, you aren't football Gods and your opinions about things are just down right arrogant and repetitive at times.

:yeah

Spot on

Never heard the show, I have no desire to after reading this. I typically stick to Schick and Nick and Kugler and Mike'L Severe's Unsportsmanlike Conduct. Entertaining shows with good guests, decent insight and pretty balanced conversation and debate.

I like those shows, as well. They offer decent insight because they are done by guys who know a wide array of sports and focus on all aspects of the sporting world. "Mak and Matt" and "The Spread" with Jason Peter are done by guys who are former Husker players from the glory days who think their opinions are better than anybody elses. Their entire shows are more or less dedicated to finding ways to compliment Nebraska yet rip them at the same time.

Don't get me wrong, shows like USC talk extensively about the Huskers, but not NEARLY as much as the other two shows. Kugler and Severe just seem like much more educated radio show hosts.

Since current players can't talk about the program, they're out. Same with current coaches.

If you want to listen to someone who's been there, your options are pretty much former players or coaches.

If you just want the opinion of some schmoe off the street... why would an opinion from some talking head be any better than yours or mine on the internet?

I've never listened to Mak and Matt, so I can't comment on what they're like. Jason Peter is a good listen, pretty much every day, because he's been there, played at a high level, knows what it takes to get there, and understands what's wrong with the players and coaches we have.

Do any of you guys listen to these two buffoons? Their show is complete garbage and they sound very bitter because they don’t play anymore or in Makovicka’s case don’t coach anymore. I have tried to listen to it on multiple occasions and every time I have turned it off because it is complete tripe.

After the Va-Tech game Makovicka said that Gerald McCoy was the best DL in the conference and that Suh only knocked down passes because he was getting pushed around at the line and it was a desperation attempt at making a play. He said Suh took to many plays off to be considered great and the DL’s that played when he was playing never took plays off. Also before that game Matt Hoskinson said that Va-Tech’s offense is the offense he thinks Pelini wants to run. :bs: Don’t they kind of run a variation of the spread option? Right around the time that his two born and bred Nebraska brothers were bolting the program he was spouting off how we needed more Nebraska kids that grew up loving the program and would give their heart and soul for it. Hey Joel why don’t you go and talk to your brothers about that one? Finally this week Hoskinson said on air multiple times how he hates Shawn Watson (real professional) and Makovicka then added that if Beck and Watson want to go back to the type of offense they want to run then they should just leave now. He said that you can’t run that kind of offense at Nebraska because of the weather and the lack of recruiting. Funny doesn’t Boise run a spread in a state that has worse climate and recruiting? <_< They also said that they have plenty of friends that are D2 coaches and that if these to I believe he said dumb guys don’t get it those D2 coaches would be more then willing to come to for Nebraska. Didn’t Makovicka only last one year at Virginia as a GA? If he is such a knowledgeable coaching type why doesn’t he have a coaching gig because you can’t tell me that if one was made available to him he wouldn’t take it? They also throw out the comment that Nebraska needs to get a RB like Larry Phillips, Ahman Green or Ricky Williams. :blink: Oh really, we need to get a back that falls in line with 2 of the best to ever play here or one of the best to ever play college football. :bang They also said that Burkhead will never be a game changer and he will be an ok Big 12 back. Then these two smarties went on to ramble off some backs he will end up being like and here is a shocker they only named white guys. :madash

Just because you are a former Husker doesn’t mean you should have your own show and 1620 struck out on this one. Benning is awesome on air, Dr. Rob is awesome on air, Davison, Adrian, Pippens when he fills in, are all really good at what they do. These two goofs make the Legends Radio Show sound like Vin Scully and Joe Buck. :wacko:

I’ve tried to listen to Jason Peter’s show and he is hit or miss for me. He has way too much of the “when I played” crap. When he stays away from that he is pretty good (which doesn’t happen enough).

That sounds brutal. Never heard the show, but looked at the website:

Former national champions Joel Makovicka and Matt Hoskinson deliver football knowledge and insite you should have to pay for.

Thank god I don't have to pay for the spelling.

The website also has a link called "Glory Days", which showcases Mak and Matt's career stats and accomplishments, and a copy of a 2007 LJS article talking about the '97 offensive line, with parts about Hoskinson in bold <_<. If I remember correctly, Hoskinson was a career backup at Nebraska who never played a snap in the NFL. Now in his mid-thirties, he makes a living ragging on the current line? Pretty sad.

I loved watching Makovicka play, but it's a shame if he's as much of an arrogant ass as he sounds. I sometimes start to wonder if guys like this actually root for the program to do well, or if they prefer it would never make it big again, so they can A) feed their egos thinking about how awesome they were in comparison and B ) make a dollar criticizing everything in its current state.

Also, it almost makes me angry if it's true what they said about Burkhead. This is a 19-year-old kid who's only gotten 30 career carries, as a true freshman, behind an average offensive line. And they're ready to decide that he'll never be anything special? Give me a break.

I've never listened to Jason Peter's show, but he's been on the circuit enough to get the flavor. Bottom line, I like to hear his opinion because he is a guy who represented what the Husker defense meant for decades (and is starting to again). He has his ups and downs topic to topic, but when he talks about how soft the offense has become, you can't help but nod in agreement. Nebraska used to be absolutely brutal on both sides of the ball. That was their identity. For someone who invested that much in the program only to see it dismantled brick by brick––I'd be pissed, too.

That said, there's a fine line between constructive and destructive criticism. Often times it's hard to tell apart. Radio is a medium that like all news outlets these days thrives on controversy. Enter Jason Peter. He has the right to bitch all he likes, and customers have the right to ingest his product or ignore him. The back in my day material does get redundant after awhile, and it's not as simple as running the option again. The game has changed, for better or worse, and Nebraska's offensive issues aren't going to be cured by a miracle potion. I think we have systemic coaching issues and some pretty serious talent problems. It'll take some doing to fix it all.