Burkhead should be the new starting RB

Helu is a pretty good back and when we didn't have him it killed our offense. Helu's injury is very noticable still, and now that Rex is able to play will/has help loads, obviously. I do think that down the road as long as Rex doesn't peak early will be one of the best backs all time for the Huskers, and that speaks volumes. A healthy Helu next year along with Rex will be deadly next year. I just hope they both will stay healthy.

Only at Nebraska can a freshman come in, get 100 yards, probably secure the win, and get flamed by his own fans. Jesus Christ.....

You call all this man crushing on Rex Flaming? Sorry if I don't jump on the nuts of every "next big thing" to come through Lincoln after his first 100+ yard rushing performance.

Don't confuse my skepticism with flaming or hating. I'm quite aware of how talented Rex is, I just think it is beyond short sighted to believe that Rex is ready to be the full time starter at this point. Let's be real here, prior to CU the guy was averaging nearly identical numbers as Trey Robinson. Does that mean Trey should move up to #2 if he where to have a breakout game against Texas?

Only at Nebraska can a freshman come in, get 100 yards, probably secure the win, and get flamed by his own fans. Jesus Christ.....

You call all this man crushing on Rex Flaming? Sorry if I don't jump on the nuts of every "next big thing" to come through Lincoln after his first 100+ yard rushing performance.

Don't confuse my skepticism with flaming or hating. I'm quite aware of how talented Rex is, I just think it is beyond short sighted to believe that Rex is ready to be the full time starter at this point. Let's be real here, prior to CU the guy was averaging nearly identical numbers as Trey Robinson. Does that mean Trey should move up to #2 if he where to have a breakout game against Texas?

That's fine and dandy. However the only words that came out of your fingers were negatives whenever his name was mentioned. What's your beef with Burkhead? You obviously have one, so let's hear it. "He whiffs on all of his pass blocks." I've heard that about 100x now. What else? Let's get it all out in the open now and then we can get back to our man crush on him. :)

That's fine and dandy. However the only words that came out of your fingers were negatives whenever his name was mentioned. What's your beef with Burkhead? You obviously have one, so let's hear it. "He whiffs on all of his pass blocks." I've heard that about 100x now. What else? Let's get it all out in the open now and then we can get back to our man crush on him. :)

Did anyone notice how upset Burkhead was with himself after his only whiff of the game? Which it doesn't make it right, but I have seen Helu whiff on a few as well. Hell I have seen McNeil whiff on a hell of a lot more, but I guess it isn't about the other players on the team, but I think I made my point.

I think one thing this offense lacks that past NU offense have relied heavily on are passes to the RB's. Lucky worked wonders with those. I think both Roy and Rex could do great things with swing passes or check downs, however we never send our RB's on sideline patterns anymore... only up and crossing the middle of the field.

Also, we have had to eliminate the RB screen totally. I wonder what Roy or Rex could do behind a wall of big uglies. Only thing is, seeing as how our O line is coached by Barney Cotton, I do not think we could get the lineman out to the flat sucessfully and the play would be blown up. I was TOTALLY in favor of getting rid of that WR screen... but I wonder what screens could do if we had competant lineman. I feel we are losing out on that aspect of both Roy and Rex's games.

I think one thing this offense lacks that past NU offense have relied heavily on are passes to the RB's. Lucky worked wonders with those. I think both Roy and Rex could do great things with swing passes or check downs, however we never send our RB's on sideline patterns anymore... only up and crossing the middle of the field.

Also, we have had to eliminate the RB screen totally. I wonder what Roy or Rex could do behind a wall of big uglies. Only thing is, seeing as how our O line is coached by Barney Cotton, I do not think we could get the lineman out to the flat sucessfully and the play would be blown up. I was TOTALLY in favor of getting rid of that WR screen... but I wonder what screens could do if we had competant lineman. I feel we are losing out on that aspect of both Roy and Rex's games.

The problem is we need them in the backfield to protect the QB, and can't use them on pass routes effectively. A screen every now and ahain especially when they have a corner bltz called like yesterday. That was eating us up all day long and a Rex whiff turning into a screen could have been the answer. :dunno

The problem is we need them in the backfield to protect the QB, and can't use them on pass routes effectively. A screen every now and ahain especially when they have a corner bltz called like yesterday. That was eating us up all day long and a Rex whiff turning into a screen could have been the answer. :dunno

I agree 100%...Rex is a monster on screens and has very sure hands...put him space and watch what happens. Yeah, he's strong up the middle but deadly as a slot receiver or on a screen. I too would like to see more of that.

No. Burkehead is good, but Helu is the man.

These two make a damn good 1 - 2 punch.

the starting position is irrelevant with these two. helu has seniority and has proved himself, so he should remain starter until it is taken away from him. (personally, i have been more impressed with burkhead, but helu definitely has a better opportunity to take it to the house).

Did someone just suggest we throw some screens? I can't believe half the board hasn't come here and jumped down your throat. It wasn't very long ago that if you even mentioned throwing ANY kind of a screen you were made out to be barely better than the antichrist.

People were more upset over the bubble WR screen. I haven't heard many people complain about a RB screen up the middle.

I agree! Rex should be the starter going into the Texas game and get 90% of the snaps! He has great vision and get hit the hole fast!

I do not want to take anything away from Roy Helu, But I think Rex can move the chains for us in a tough game like the one next week.

I still think Helu is hurting, he is just not the same player we saw in the beginning of the season!

It would not surprise me if you hear after the season that he will have surgery on that bum shoulder. I think it was a worse injury than what we were meant to believe.