Hey Huskers

New to the board. I post on a few boards around the Big 12, not sure why I haven't registered here before.

Anyway, just wanted to say how much I'm looking forward to the game. Easily the best two teams in the conference with the best two defenses. Could be a really tight game if our Defense doesn't shape up after the aggy game. Although, I think we are much better off against your offense then A&M's.

Feel free to ask if you need any insight about the Horns. I'll be happy to discuss everything.

Good luck guys. Hook'em!

I have a question for you OP.

What are your impressions of the Texas running game? I haven't looked at the stat sheet, but I hear it isn't their strong suit. Obviously McCoy is the best player on that team and Shipley can make a case for himself being the best player as well. Nebraska boats a talented run defense, just like Texas does.

My second question is if Nebraska can slow down Texas running the football (and stop McCoy from breaking containment and running himself), and if we keep close tabs on Shipley, are there any other stand out players that have had big impacts this year that you think could have big games?

I'm looking forward to this game. The last two meetings both of these teams played extremely close, even when Nebraska was having one of the worst years in school history in '07. I hope we can be given the same type of game.

I would say Tre Newton is a threat for their running game from what I've seen of him anyway.

Yeah, Tre has been our best back the past few weeks. Our OL, as big and experienced as it is, isn't as great as one would think. It is a solid line don't get me wrong, and they've been playing a lot better the past few games, but their run blocking in the first half of the season was not good. We have 4 good backs, 3 that have been getting the carries lately. They've all been a little dinged up here and there for different games. Cody Johnson is a very big back and had a great game against Baylor (109 yds, 2 TDs) who will get a few carries, but I assume Newton will start and get the most of the carries. He's had 109 yds against A&M. He's a smaller and quicker back, but has started to show some strength by breaking some tackles. Fozzy Whittaker is the same type of back and will also get a few carries.

Colt was our leading rusher last year, I think that's been beaten into the ground enough by now. But he hasn't really run as much this year, and it doesn't seem to be as much of his game plan. Even as good as he ran against A&M (190 yds) he even said after the game that he hadn't plan to run like that. But you'll have to plan for it. Especially if your line gets a good rush, you'll need a LB (and Suh in the middle) to make sure he doesn't escape. Which is what makes our offense so tough sometimes. You have to get to him, and you have to take him down. Give him enough time and he'll find someone open. Shipley is going to get open at some point so you need a good rush, and I know ya'll know that. Should be interesting and should be a great challenge for our offense as well as your defense.

can this actually be true?

Published Sunday November 29, 2009

NU ranked 20th, 21st

« Blog - Sports Writers

Digg Newsvine del.icio.us Reddit Facebook Twitter

Filed by Mitch Sherman at 1:17 p.m.

The polls are out and, as expected, Nebraska has returned to the Associated Press rankings, perhaps even a spot or two higher than expected.

NU is 21st, jumping six spots over weekend losers Mississippi, Utah, North Carolina, Clemson and Oklahoma State. NU also vaulted Stanford, which beat Notre Dame Saturday night. Shows what the voters think of the Irish, considering that the Huskers' victory came against 3-9 Colorado.

The Huskers moved up three spots to No. 20 in the USA Today coaches' poll.

Texas remains ranked third by the AP and second by the coaches.

Here's an interesting fact about the Big 12 championship game (we'll provide a new one every 24 hours or so on the blog until kickoff Saturday night): Mack Brown of Texas, in 25 years as a head coach at Appalachian State (1983), Tulane (1985-87), North Carolina (1998-97) and UT (1998-present), has won one conference title. That, of course, came with the Longhorns in 2005, when Texas advanced to beat Southern Cal for the national title in Pasadena, Calif, site of the title game this year

Yeah, Tre has been our best back the past few weeks. Our OL, as big and experienced as it is, isn't as great as one would think. It is a solid line don't get me wrong, and they've been playing a lot better the past few games, but their run blocking in the first half of the season was not good. We have 4 good backs, 3 that have been getting the carries lately. They've all been a little dinged up here and there for different games. Cody Johnson is a very big back and had a great game against Baylor (109 yds, 2 TDs) who will get a few carries, but I assume Newton will start and get the most of the carries. He's had 109 yds against A&M. He's a smaller and quicker back, but has started to show some strength by breaking some tackles. Fozzy Whittaker is the same type of back and will also get a few carries.

Colt was our leading rusher last year, I think that's been beaten into the ground enough by now. But he hasn't really run as much this year, and it doesn't seem to be as much of his game plan. Even as good as he ran against A&M (190 yds) he even said after the game that he hadn't plan to run like that. But you'll have to plan for it. Especially if your line gets a good rush, you'll need a LB (and Suh in the middle) to make sure he doesn't escape. Which is what makes our offense so tough sometimes. You have to get to him, and you have to take him down. Give him enough time and he'll find someone open. Shipley is going to get open at some point so you need a good rush, and I know ya'll know that. Should be interesting and should be a great challenge for our offense as well as your defense.

I agree. Should be a fun match-up to watch

New to the board. I post on a few boards around the Big 12, not sure why I haven't registered here before.

Anyway, just wanted to say how much I'm looking forward to the game. Easily the best two teams in the conference with the best two defenses. Could be a really tight game if our Defense doesn't shape up after the aggy game. Although, I think we are much better off against your offense then A&M's.

Feel free to ask if you need any insight about the Horns. I'll be happy to discuss everything.

Good luck guys. Hook'em!

Welcome to the board. Hope everyone here treats you with class. Good luck (but not too much). GBR!

I personally think NU is a perfect matchup for Texas. The Horns have enough firepower in the quick passing game to put up points against our defense. McCoy won't make many mistakes like Jones did. On offense, I don't see any way we can score more than 17 or so. And that's probably being optimistic.

My mostly objective side thinks Texas probably wins this game 27-10 or something along those lines. Having said that, anything could happen and I've been surprised by this team (pleasantly or not) plenty of times in recent history.

Good luck guys. Hook'em!

I'm not sure if you did that on purpose but your username is pretty clever.