Alex Henery, honorable mention as punter?

JTrain

I think the punter selections are a little wierd. clearly it was selected on avg, but both henery and Harry had nearly twice as many punts inside the twenty and averages that fell only a few yards of the leaders. I know i can recall atleast 8 or 9 times that Harry pinned teams inside the 5. I know Herery had quite a few as well

But the one that really miffs me is Aldon Smith. Kid had 59 tackles which was 4th best among DL (trailed Lyle and Beal both 64, Crick 67 and Suh 70) He is 2nd among DL with 11 sacks, 3rd overall and #1 for DL in TFL, #2 overall. BUT somehow the kid isnt in the top ten vote. You want to talk about getting the shaft...

PUNTS INSIDE THE 20:

1. Henery, 26

2. Harry, 21

2. Brandtner, 21

4. Quinn, 20

5. Erxleben, 17

First team punter Epperson had 13 and second-teamer Way had 15. I couldn't find stats for inside the 10 and inside the 5, but I'm sure Henery rivals anyone in the nation with those stats.

Henery definatley deserved it. Harry wasn't first or second team either. Both of these guys not only had the status, but also the impact on games to warrant a 1st or 2nd team selection.

Also, I would guess that the only reason Ressel beat out Henery for 1st team PK, is because of the game winning kick against KU. That really elevated his status at the end of the season. Both had amazing seasons, but as someone else mentioned, Henery is more likely to make it at the next level because he can do both tasks.

i wouldnt say that. I would say being 24 of 25 and being the most accurate kicker in the country got him first team. A chip shot against KU had very little to do with it in my opinion

Wanted to look alittle deeper into the punter thing. Beyond just net avg. I will list some numbers for the punters on 1 & 2 team, as well as those with HM. The 1st and 2nd teamer will be BOLDED.

AVG YARDS PER PUNT

1. Way, 45.5 yds

2. Eppeson, 44.8 yds

3. Sharp, 44.4 yrds

4. Harry, 42.7 yrds

5. Henery, 42.3 yrds

6. Brnadtner, 40.7 yrds

PUNTS INSIDE THE 20

1. Henery, 26

2. Harry, 21

2. Brandtner, 21

4. Sharp, 20

5. Way, 15

6. Epperson, 13

% OF TOTAL PUNTS INSIDE THE 20

1. Henery, 40%

2. Harry, 37%

3. Brandten, 34%

3. Sharp, 34%

5. Way, 26%

6. Epperson, 24%

PUNTS THAT ENDED IN TOUCHBACKS

1. Harry, 2

2. Epperson, 4

2. Sharp, 4

4. Brandtner, 5

5. Henery, 6

6. Way, 12

% OF PUNTS THAT ENDED IN TOUCHBACKS

1. Harry, 4%

2. Epperson, 7%

2. Sharp, 7%

4. Brandtner 8%

5. Henery, 9%

6. Way, 21%

NUMBER OF PUNTS THAT WERE OVER 50+ YDS

1. Sharp, 21

2. Way, 20

3. Epperson, 14

4. Henery, 13

5. Brandtner, 12

5. Harry, 12

% OF PUNTS THAT WERE OVER 50+ YDS

1. Sharp, 36%

2. Way, 35%

3. Epperson ,26%

4. Harry, 21%

5. Brandtner, 20%

5. Henery, 20%

Makes the selections stand out that much more if you ask me. If you rank each catagory 1-6 giving pts for rank finish (i.e. 6 pts for 1st place, 1 pt for 6th place) the finishes are as follows:

1. Sharp, 33 pts

2. Harry, 31 pts

3. Epperson, 25 pts

4. Henery, 22 pts

4. Way, 22 pts

6. Brandtner, 20 pts

Makes the selections stand out that much more if you ask me. If you rank each catagory 1-6 giving pts for rank finish (i.e. 6 pts for 1st place, 1 pt for 6th place) the finishes are as follows:

1. Sharp, 33 pts

2. Harry, 31 pts

3. Epperson, 25 pts

4. Henery, 22 pts

4. Way, 22 pts

6. Brandtner, 20 pts

Does it make sense to weigh each category the same? Are all the categories subjective? For instance, shouldn't a punt that pins a team inside their 5 count for more than a 50 yard punt?

1. Sharp, 33 pts

2. Harry, 31 pts

3. Epperson, 25 pts

4. Henery, 22 pts

4. Way, 22 pts

6. Brandtner, 20 pts

Does it make sense to weigh each category the same? Are all the categories subjective? For instance, shouldn't a punt that pins a team inside their 5 count for more than a 50 yard punt?

Good point, SoCal.

Well, if you go by punts inside the 20, probably nobody else had as many viable attempts to do so as Henery did...because our offense had a knack for getting near mid field then stalling. If you go by average, he didn't lead the league either. I can understand this one....

1. Sharp, 33 pts

2. Harry, 31 pts

3. Epperson, 25 pts

4. Henery, 22 pts

4. Way, 22 pts

6. Brandtner, 20 pts

Good point, SoCal.

I wasnt even going to have the punts over 50 on there, but i thought sense it was a recorded stat that I should include it. I weighted all the same to just be even across the board. Its subjective to add different values to each. How do i determine what is more valuable? If pinning kicks inside the 20 is more than 50+ yrd kicks, does have less touchbacks count for more than pinning kicks?? I mean I would rather have a kick downed at the 12 then put in the endzone and the ball comes out to the 20.

I could not see a fair way to value each catagory other than even steven. If you guys have ideas, let me know. or you can play with the numbers yourself also. Wont hurt my feelings, i promise :)

Anyway, without the 50+ kicks and avg of kicks over 50 the final tally would be:

1. Harry, 25 pts

2. Sharp, 21 pts

3. Henery, 18 pts

4. Epperson, 17 pts

5. Brandtner, 16 pts

6. Way, 12 pts

Come to think of it...i like this way better!! :lol: GO MIZZOU!! ;)

Well, if you go by punts inside the 20, probably nobody else had as many viable attempts to do so as Henery did...because our offense had a knack for getting near mid field then stalling. If you go by average, he didn't lead the league either. I can understand this one....

Actually Henery was the best as pinning kicks. 40% of his kicks were downed inside the 20. Next best was Harry from MU with 37%

I don't have much of a gripe with your method, Fro. Clearly any weight added would be subjective. It would also have to be varied, not across-the-board, because there are times when a 50-yard punt doesn't do much, as in, punting from your end zone, but your opponent still gets the ball in plus territory, and there are times when it does, as in when you kick it from your 45 to their 5. All punts are not created equal.

The All-Big 12 Conference football teams and individual award winners have been announced. Selections are made by the league’s 12 head coaches, who are not permitted to vote for their own players.

here's your reason. this is like the coaches poll. coaches dont have the time to seriously look into this stuff (unless ballot name is hawkins, dan or mangino, mark), if they are even the one that actually votes. i wouldnt worry about it.