December 1st and 2nd Post-practice Press Conference

Fuzzy

Just watched Carl talk to the media after today's practice. He mentioned something about Pierre's toe and he wouldn't be back to 100% until after 6 weeks of offseason behind him. He didn't say that wouldn't play, but could that be one of the reasons why Meredith was seen playing a lot during the Colorado game?

Watching Watson's conference now...

and he said nothing that i already didn't know. :)

Just watched Carl talk to the media after today's practice. He mentioned something about Pierre's toe and he wouldn't be back to 100% until after 6 weeks of offseason behind him. He didn't say that wouldn't play, but could that be one of the reasons why Meredith was seen playing a lot during the Colorado game?

Meredith looks like he'll be pretty good. Our two current DEs don't impress me at all.

Meredith looks like he'll be pretty good. Our two current DEs don't impress me at all.

Barry Turner doesn't impress you? Granted he isnt as good as the interior lineman, but he has had an impact on the DL this season.

They dont seem to get around the edge very fast, but that may be due to design/scheme?

This is not to throw Allen under the bus, but neither he nor Turner have "wowed" me this year. I'm very happy to see Meredith getting more snaps. The dude plays like our Rush Ends of old.

Consider this - Meredith has played in all 12 games, but started none. He has 12 solo tackles in spot duty. Allen has started all 12 games and has 16 solo tackles. Turner has 21 solo. That's not that impressive from a D Line that was supposed to be a four-man wrecking crew. It's been a two-man crew with two placeholders far too often.

Maybe Allen and Turner have simply been asked to contain the End this year and haven't been allowed to rush upfield. I don't know. But if that's not the case, and Allen and Turner are just having trouble beating the Tackles they're playing against... Allen is going to have a hard time fighting off competition next year. Seven of our twelve DEs on the roster are Freshmen or Redshirt Freshmen. We've got two more DEs coming in the 2010 recruiting class. There's definitely a youth movement afoot. Let's hope Allen can beat these guys out.

This is not to throw Allen under the bus, but neither he nor Turner have "wowed" me this year. I'm very happy to see Meredith getting more snaps. The dude plays like our Rush Ends of old.

Consider this - Meredith has played in all 12 games, but started none. He has 12 solo tackles in spot duty. Allen has started all 12 games and has 16 solo tackles. Turner has 21 solo. That's not that impressive from a D Line that was supposed to be a four-man wrecking crew. It's been a two-man crew with two placeholders far too often.

Maybe Allen and Turner have simply been asked to contain the End this year and haven't been allowed to rush upfield. I don't know. But if that's not the case, and Allen and Turner are just having trouble beating the Tackles they're playing against... Allen is going to have a hard time fighting off competition next year. Seven of our twelve DEs on the roster are Freshmen or Redshirt Freshmen. We've got two more DEs coming in the 2010 recruiting class. There's definitely a youth movement afoot. Let's hope Allen can beat these guys out.

I believe it's due to the scheme. IIRC, the DE's had similar production in 2003 when Bo was the DC. And if you've got Suh and Crick on the interior, why wouldn't you scheme to help them make plays?

I think Allen is fine. He just got the day off because he is soar. I am just aboout 100% positive he will play on Saturday. But I have really been impressed with the whole dline. Turner has been a pleasent surprised and I think next year Allen will pick up where he left off last year.

I believe it's due to the scheme. IIRC, the DE's had similar production in 2003 when Bo was the DC. And if you've got Suh and Crick on the interior, why wouldn't you scheme to help them make plays?

I think the scheme and Allen's toe are hampering him this season. Just last season as a Sophomore he was 4th on the team in Tackles Made with 52. He had 10 TFL's and 5 Sacks. Allen is really talented, I have to give him the benefit of the doubt this season. Not sure what exactly is causing his drop off in production this season, but I expect him to play better in a rebound Senior Year.

I think the scheme and Allen's toe are hampering him this season. Just last season as a Sophomore he was 4th on the team in Tackles Made with 52. He had 10 TFL's and 5 Sacks. Allen is really talented, I have to give him the benefit of the doubt this season. Not sure what exactly is causing his drop off in production this season, but I expect him to play better in a rebound Senior Year.

Screw waiting until his senior year... Let's see him rebound Saturday night! :bonez:restore GBR! Slay the Shorthorns!

Merrideth looks like he's going to be a freak someday but where the hell is Josh Williams??? I haven't really seen him get in the rotation at all that much this season

He is still just a RFr., I think it is funny how everyone expects players to be impacts in the first two years or they are busts. I think it will be telling next season if Josh isn't a big factor. Turner leaving leaves him a big opportunity to fight for a starting role or a major contributor role like Meredith has this year.

Merrideth looks like he's going to be a freak someday but where the hell is Josh Williams??? I haven't really seen him get in the rotation at all that much this season

He is still just a RFr., I think it is funny how everyone expects players to be impacts in the first two years or they are busts. I think it will be telling next season if Josh isn't a big factor. Turner leaving leaves him a big opportunity to fight for a starting role or a major contributor role like Meredith has this year.

I don't think that anybody expects this younger freshman to have huge impacts and I don't think that I even implied that in my post either. I was just curious because we've seen Terrence Morre (Soph) come in to replace Crick, we've seen Baker Steinkuhler (RFr) come in to replace Suh, not to mention that Dontrayevous Robinson ( true FR) playing running back to back up Helu in the middle of the season when Burkhead went down as well as other freshman or true freshman having impacts at other positions.

I'm just saying that we've had all of these redshirt freshman or true freshman make an impact when the starters are resting for a few plays or during clean up duty and I haven't seen Josh Williams a whole lot during these clean up duties or during breaks.

I don't think that anybody expects this younger freshman to have huge impacts and I don't think that I even implied that in my post either. I was just curious because we've seen Terrence Morre (Soph) come in to replace Crick, we've seen Baker Steinkuhler (RFr) come in to replace Suh, not to mention that Dontrayevous Robinson ( true FR) playing running back to back up Helu in the middle of the season when Burkhead went down as well as other freshman or true freshman having impacts at other positions.

I'm just saying that we've had all of these redshirt freshman or true freshman make an impact when the starters are resting for a few plays or during clean up duty and I haven't seen Josh Williams a whole lot during these clean up duties or during breaks.

Well the part I highlighted indicated to me that you were expressing surprise he hasn't contributed yet with your multiple question marks. Josh obviously isn't ready to contribute and the others are. I don't think it should matter until he is an upperclassman, the best players play period. If Josh finds his way to contribute then great, but I won't be surprised that a RFr. isn't really seeing the field no matter what else is going on around the field.