Offense's Identity

Bradr

I was looking at Bo's recruiting classes this afternoon, and I got to thinking about all this Nebraska spread talk going around.

Watson seems to be allowing his schemes to change to the power formations lately due to the personnel, but he has stated that he wants us to be a spread option team. When looking at our offense recruits, though, I don't see that happening.

2008-20010

QB - 1,1,1 = 3

RB - 3,3,0 = 6

WR - 3,1,1 = 5

OL - 4,4,2 = 10

TE - 2,1,1 = 4

Ath - 5,1,2 = 8

It would seem to me that this recruiting trend seems to be pointing towards a personnel of power football, not spread. Granted, I do not know where all of the athletes will end up, but 5 receivers in 3 years does not lend itself to running 4 wide sets with a single back.

I was looking at Bo's recruiting classes this afternoon, and I got to thinking about all this Nebraska spread talk going around.

Watson seems to be allowing his schemes to change to the power formations lately due to the personnel, but he has stated that he wants us to be a spread option team. When looking at our offense recruits, though, I don't see that happening.

2008-20010

QB - 1,1,1 = 3

RB - 3,3,0 = 6

WR - 3,1,1 = 5

OL - 4,4,2 = 10

TE - 2,1,1 = 4

Ath - 5,1,2 = 8

It would seem to me that this recruiting trend seems to be pointing towards a personnel of power football, not spread. Granted, I do not know where all of the athletes will end up, but 5 receivers in 3 years does not lend itself to running 4 wide sets with a single back.

I think part of that is what he was left with from Callaclown, who recruited tons of receivers. He's just balancing out the numbers, supply & demand. Our big demand now I think is O-Line!

2008-20010

QB - 1,1,1 = 3

RB - 3,3,0 = 6

WR - 3,1,1 = 5

OL - 4,4,2 = 10

TE - 2,1,1 = 4

Ath - 5,1,2 = 8

I think part of that is what he was left with from Callaclown, who recruited tons of receivers. He's just balancing out the numbers, supply & demand. Our big demand now I think is O-Line!

:yeah

The O-line really is everything. If we have a good O-line we can run whatever the hell we feel like running. Look at OU last year to this year, the only thing that really changed was their entire O-line, sure they lost a couple skill position guys but that has never tripped them up in the past because their O-line has always been so good. Its cliche but everything starts up front whether you're on offense or defense and our defense this year is a perfect example.

2008-20010

QB - 1,1,1 = 3

RB - 3,3,0 = 6

WR - 3,1,1 = 5

OL - 4,4,2 = 10

TE - 2,1,1 = 4

Ath - 5,1,2 = 8

:yeah

The O-line really is everything. If we have a good O-line we can run whatever the hell we feel like running. Look at OU last year to this year, the only thing that really changed was their entire O-line, sure they lost a couple skill position guys but that has never tripped them up in the past because their O-line has always been so good. Its cliche but everything starts up front whether you're on offense or defense and our defense this year is a perfect example.

Exactly.

Great offensive lines can make skill players look like the best players in the nation. You can do pretty much anything you want with a great offensive line. Tommie Frazier, Lawrence Phillips, and Ahman Green would not have put up the numbers they did behind our offensive line, that's for sure.

My experience with Watson dictates that he will do whatever he feels like doing whenever he wants to, like in 2001 when Colorado ran over Nebraska and Texas but then decided it would be a great idea to showcase our quarterback against Joey Harrington in the Fiesta, brilliant move............if you were a Duck fan...............grrrrr

My experience with Watson dictates that he will do whatever he feels like doing whenever he wants to, like in 2001 when Colorado ran over Nebraska and Texas but then decided it would be a great idea to showcase our quarterback against Joey Harrington in the Fiesta, brilliant move............if you were a Duck fan...............grrrrr

This is the only problem I have with Watson.

He has been saying that his game plans have taken "guts" and "courage" to put out on the field, because he wants to "sling it around so bad". To me, this sounds like the grumblings of a small child who has been put in timeout and can't play with all his flashy toys.

Work with what your team has got Wats. He would be a much better coordinator if he limited his game plan PERMANENTLY. I'm not saying keep the offense as it is now, because you know he isn't going to do that. All I'm saying is if he breaks out his Bible Playbook over the Winter practices, and starts re-implementing everything in the spring again, then I will only be able to shake my head.

That comment about him going right back to the spread is one reason that I'm not a big fan of watson. It just doesn't make any sense. What are they going to do, practice the spread all spring and fall camp only to switch mid season again? They will never get any better if they don't commit to something and say this is who we are. I commend them for changing mindsets mid season, but now they know what players they have, they know what type of qb, line, wr's and te's they have so there should be no questions heading into next season. Watson just has nooo imagination at all. I understand we are limited with our o line but would it hurt to use Bell in the wildcat? Or put Mendoza at qb and run a jet sweep with Bell? We've ran one, ONE, reverse all year and it was against a freakin sun belt team. I know we don't have all of the pieces yet, but Wats has shown me nothing to make me think he can take us to the promised land as an offense.

I like the spread offense.

Just not at Nebraska.

Why in the world would you want to run the same offense as everybody else? Sure, maybe we're more "multiple" and we show opposing defenses a bunch of different sets (when we actually have Watson's true offense in full swing), but to me you can't win championships with it at Nebraska. We have to battle more than half of the other D1 schools for recruits because many run similar offenses. I would rather have a limited yet powerful offensive attack as opposed to the multiple and can-sometimes-be-explosive Watson offense.

Plus, we have to recruit hybrid players who are average at everything yet great at nothing. Our offensive line is a plethora of guys, some of which have been excelling in the run game while others excel in the pass game. Wats forces widespread mediocrity with his offense. :rant

Actually Callahan stocked us up on O-line too. I think we're pulling in quite a few receivers (or trying to) in this class...