3. Notre Dame: 831-285-42

4. Nebraska: 827-337-41

5. Ohio State: 808-306-53

6. Penn State 801-349-43

7. Alabama: 799-316-43

8. Oklahoma: 788-300-53

9. Tennessee: 776-327-55

10. USC: 765-303-54

We won 9 which puts us at 836. ND won 6 which puts them at 837. Kinda cool.

I'm pretty sure I'm right on this.

Beginning of 2009 Season:

1. Michigan: 872-297-38

2. Texas: 832-320-34

3. Notre Dame: 831-285-42

4. Nebraska: 827-337-41

5. Ohio State: 808-306-53

6. Penn State 801-349-43

7. Alabama: 799-316-43

8. Oklahoma: 788-300-53

9. Tennessee: 776-327-55

10. USC: 765-303-54

We won 9 which puts us at 836. ND won 6 which puts them at 837. Kinda cool.

I dont know if you are right or not but I read on espn that Notre Dame most likely will not accept a bowl game this year. So we can still tie this year with a bowl win and a loss to texas or take it this year with both wins.

Why don't losses factor into that? I mean, if Plato's Academe had managed to survive and started playing ball 1000 years ago and came away with 1 win a year (and 9 - 10,000 losses), it would be kind of specious to call them "winningest." However, it would be impressive that they'd been playing football for 1,000 years :)

Not that I want NU to be lower, it just seems like a somewhat weasely stat. I mean, if I give some students 4 exams, another group 2, and the first group averages 51% of the questions right, the second group gets 100% right, assuming that all exams had the same number of questions, then the first group "got the most right." Technically true, but it would be too bad that group that got "the most right" actually failed.

I'm sorry... just thinking aloud about what this stat might actually mean when it's presented this way.

Interesting, if you go by winning percentage, you get a slightly different order:

1. Michigan 0.722

2. Notre Dame 0.717

3. Texas 0.701

4. Nebraska 0.686

Percentages are pretty hard to make up :(. To catch Texas (assuming a static percentage for them) would require 61 wins with no losses. On the other hand, percentages can come down (as opposed to win totals), so it would take fewer wins if UT had a worse win-loss record during that time. If Texas was to lose 26 in a row while Nebraska had a static record, then UT would fall below NU....

Still takes a depressingly long time for percentage positions to change. Plus, there could be teams in the top 5 or so by percentage that are not there by total wins.

Why don't losses factor into that? I mean, if Plato's Academe had managed to survive and started playing ball 1000 years ago and came away with 1 win a year (and 9 - 10,000 losses), it would be kind of specious to call them "winningest." However, it would be impressive that they'd been playing football for 1,000 years :)

Not that I want NU to be lower, it just seems like a somewhat weasely stat. I mean, if I give some students 4 exams, another group 2, and the first group averages 51% of the questions right, the second group gets 100% right, assuming that all exams had the same number of questions, then the first group "got the most right." Technically true, but it would be too bad that group that got "the most right" actually failed.

I'm sorry... just thinking aloud about what this stat might actually mean when it's presented this way.

This stat is as much about sustained success as it is winning percentage. Look at those 10 teams. Those teams, for the obvious reasons of all of their wins, are arguably the 10 most tradition rich schools in the nation. That is a top 10 that is amazing to be a part of. The fact is even more amazing when you figure that Michigan and Notre Dame had about a 30 year advantage on us as far as really racking up wins. We have significantly closed that gap in the last 40 years (like Texas). Moving into third, and being within striking distance of second, is a huge accomplishment.

This list, and our position on it, should be a source of pride for every Nebraska fan.