Pistol offense?

I don't know if this has been discussed before but what about the Pistol Offense for Nebraska? This year Nevada has had 3 1000 yard rushers (first time ever) and have done reasonably well in every year that it's been used (at least I think, haven't done the research but I think they haven't finished with a record under .500).

I'm just throwing this out there for something to discuss (though there really isn't a shortage of things this week).

Interesting you brought this up--I was actually going to start a topic on this, but you beat me to the punch. I've been a lurker on here for quite some time now, and finally decided to go ahead and register today. IMHO, with the offensive personnel we currently have at our disposal, and with what we are likely to have in the next couple of years, I think the pistol could be the perfect formation for us. It is pracitcally tailor made for what we are, and for the direction Bo seemingly wants to take the offense in the future. The backs are lined up closer to the line of scrimmage with an emphasis on the rush, and allows for dual threat quarterbacks to make quicker reads in the passing game. You can also throw a fullback into the mix for extra blocking power, run double tight ends, split backs, etc. Plus I believe it is an offense which can be picked up on rather quickly (relatively speaking, anyways--certainly quicker than "other" offenses we have tried running here in recent history:P).

Of course it really doesn't matter what sort of offense we choose to run in the future if we don't have a line that is blocking effectively, or have players executing and making the plays they should be. I'd hate to see all these great future OL recruits, and young running backs we have accumulated wasted by sub-par coaching on the offensive side of the ball, and lack of a real offensive identity. I'm not intending to jump the gun and call anybody out too soon, I realize we have a young offensive unit and have had our share of injuries to contend with this year. But unless Watson, Cotton and Co.'s offense shows marked improvement over these next couple of games and into next season, I believe it definitely would be at least in the realm of reason to consider running a pistol style offense. Our defense is already getting there as we all know--we just need an offense that is "ours" to hang our hat on.

Ok, I got it. We take a little bit of Oregon, sprinkle in some Nevada & top it with Georgia Tech. Its very interesting to watch GT. I love the triple option they run. Kinda makes you wonder what could have been if we hadnt gone to whatever this offense is now. The option is the new Spread. Everyone is figuring out how to defend the spread but you see GT gashing everyone with the option. If you got the players, its awfully hard to stop