Does Watson GO?

Watson  

168 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

We all asked for a power game and we got it. We tried time and time again to go with an i-formation and run it up the gut. Didn't ever get anything...ever. Our last drive, we run the ball out of the shotgun for the first time all night and look what happens. Lee gets 17 on a run. We get about 5 with a run with Burkhead out of the shotgun. I just can't stand the lack of adjustment in a game. From week to week I can see it. Granted it doesn't work much, we do see a slightly different offense each week. But it's like he chooses and offense before each game and says that's what we're doing no matter what.

I think he stays one more year. We return pretty much everyone. We have to get better. Right? If we see improvement next year he'll stay for a while. If not...see ya.

My problem is yeah we have a power game going, but there is no ingenuity there at all. No stretch plays, tosses, counters, misdirections...just run up the gut. Yeah you need to run up the gut, but you also need to attack different areas in the run game to setup another run or the playaction. It is an art form and you have to be several plays ahead in your mind. It feels like Watson just closes his eyes and puts his finger on a page in the playbook and thats the play we run.

Once Lee had that 17 on a run...I was like wow, that worked lets roll with it. Then we went back to the same things that weren't working. Watson just doesn't know how to just run things that are working which is what the offense should be doing since they are so bad. Just do anything that works and run it until they stop it.

Announcers don't have a clue in that case. Lee's audibles are often checking to the option. I mean, they just were really, really flat out wrong if they said that.

Honestly with an O like we have, I don't want to see gimmick plays all over the place. Certainly not a halfback pass. A reverse, maybe, and maybe we had some tricks up our sleeves but the situation never came up.

My problem is yeah we have a power game going, but there is no ingenuity there at all. No stretch plays, tosses, counters, misdirections...just run up the gut. Yeah you need to run up the gut, but you also need to attack different areas in the run game to setup another run or the playaction. It is an art form and you have to be several plays ahead in your mind. It feels like Watson just closes his eyes and puts his finger on a page in the playbook and thats the play we run.

X_X

Wasn't it just ONE year ago, maybe two when everyone was trashing the "stretch play to Lucky" to NO END? Running outside, counters, misdirections, these are plays that take more time to develop. With our O-line? No thanks.

I'm not asking our O to be imaginative, flashy, or cool looking. All I ask is that they put us in position to win the game. The whole team has exceeded expectations in this regard. We can go up against ANYONE playing like this on both sides of the ball. Bring on Alabama, if we lose I promise it'll be in the closing minutes.

Our D is phenomenal, and the whole gameplan uses the D in a way that allows it to win games for us. If we had a better O we'd be going places, but given what we have, our scheme right now is what is enabling us to see this brilliance out of the D. IMO.

I don't care how many injuries you've suffered. I've never seen an offense this inept. Watson was very slow to react. And every time he calls a Zac Lee option I cringe.

It there isn't marked improvement early next year Bo Pelini should follow Mark Richt's lead and start canning Watson and offensive coaches.

Everytime I see Lee run the option I laugh my ass off! I told my brother last night after watching him run one, "Some where Tommie is rolling over laughing."

I don't care how many injuries you've suffered. I've never seen an offense this inept. Watson was very slow to react. And every time he calls a Zac Lee option I cringe.

It there isn't marked improvement early next year Bo Pelini should follow Mark Richt's lead and start canning Watson and offensive coaches.

Everytime I see Lee run the option I laugh my ass off! I told my brother last night after watching him run one, "Some where Tommie is rolling over laughing."

It is UGLY!

Im gonna say this once and never again. You guys can blast me afterwards.

What did we know about our offense during the offseason before our season started?

QB - Inexperienced and no experienced depth

RB - Helu Jr. is our guy and after that ??????

WR - No play-makers, young, and inexperienced

TE - The only strength of our offense

OL - Young and no game-time experience

The result...

QB - Inconsistency and bad execution

RB - Injured Helu and Burkhead and no one steps up

WR - Dropped passes and penatlies

TE - Not used as much as we thought

OL - Inconsistent play, penalties and poor execution

My take, give Watson one more year with these guys and gauge their progression during the offseason and next year to see if Watson is the right guy. In the meantime, Watson needs to decide during the offseason, what kind of offense he wants to run next year and for the rest of his time with the program if he wants to keep his job.

Exactly. We all knew we'd had a Top 12 Offense for two years that an abysmal Defense couldn't support. And coming into this season we were concerned something like this would happen. And it did. And we're 9 - 4 again, though I don't remember everyone being this crabby about it last year.

If Shawn Watson hadn't worked wonders with spare parts he inherited - much the way the Pelinis did with the defense - you'd have a case. There's a reason both Tom Osborne and Bo Pelini wanted to keep hold of Watson. As the season unfolded Zac Lee kept showing less promise in new and baffling ways. Get Watson a working quarterback and some receivers with a year of seasoning and let's check back next year.

If Watson hadn't worked

Hell yea he must go. Im tired of theise people saying 1 more year,screw that his offience was good last year,how come it didnt carry on to this year?? I've not liked this guy from the start iam not gonna hide it nor hide my feelings for the guy.Watson should be lucky that bo only threw his gum wrapper at the guy and not something else lol .And another thing how you gonna talk about your starting running back like he did few games ago??We need toditch this guy and get the old plays back ,that we had before this west coast offience B.S. came here,hell even espn wants to see that old nebraska option game,we had that THING back then people and coaches knew we was gonna run it and they couldnt STOP it no matter how long they spent working on a D to put up against it.I dont even thing bo wants to keep him or his staff,ive seen bo go off on the dude this season. SORRY DUDE GO ELSE WHERE AND DONT LET THE DOOR HIT YOU ON THE WAY OUT,is what i'd tell the guy :koolaid2:

Hell yea he must go. Im tired of theise people saying 1 more year,screw that his offience was good last year,how come it didnt carry on to this year?? I've not liked this guy from the start iam not gonna hide it nor hide my feelings for the guy.Watson should be lucky that bo only threw his gum wrapper at the guy and not something else lol .And another thing how you gonna talk about your starting running back like he did few games ago??We need toditch this guy and get the old plays back ,that we had before this west coast offience B.S. came here,hell even espn wants to see that old nebraska option game,we had that THING back then people and coaches knew we was gonna run it and they couldnt STOP it no matter how long they spent working on a D to put up against it.I dont even thing bo wants to keep him or his staff,ive seen bo go off on the dude this season. SORRY DUDE GO ELSE WHERE AND DONT LET THE DOOR HIT YOU ON THE WAY OUT,is what i'd tell the guy :koolaid2:

The real waste of our defense would have been if we stuck with our O at the beginning of the year and didn't even give the D the chance to win games for us because we made so many mistakes.

Weird analogy: I think Watson took bad lemons and somehow made them into drinkable water. If we get a new OL and WR coach, we will have good lemons. And the lemonade will be delicious.

The real waste of our defense would have been if we stuck with our O at the beginning of the year and didn't even give the D the chance to win games for us because we made so many mistakes.

Weird analogy: I think Watson took bad lemons and somehow made them into drinkable water. If we get a new OL and WR coach, we will have good lemons. And the lemonade will be delicious.

I am willing to see Gilmore go now, but I still don't know about Cotton. I am not impressed, but I would like to see how the group Redshirting now makes an impact next year. Maybe Cotton is the problem, I am not sure.