Why I am so excited tonight (if you have nothing to do read it)

NPhusker

(I know its to early to look at next season but i am avoiding studying and this gives me something to do)

Well there is more than one reason why i am excited:

First of all Suh is gonna be in NY and he won the first of many awards to come tonight, Second my classes got cancelled because of the pending blizzard that is sweeping across NE.

And finally the main reason, reading some of the post talking about next year has gotten me thinking and i am very, very, very excited for next year and the years to come.

What the Pelini's brothers (and the rest of this defensive staff) have done should just about qualify as a miracle. I still vividly remember our defense from two years ago playing an average Ok. St. team in Lincoln. Watching that group of "pinkshirts" run around trying to tackle someone was like watching a bunch of overweight 45 year old Irish men on St. Patty's day trying to catch a Leprechaun. They made OSU look like they had Adrian Peterson, Percy Harvin and Reggie Bush all suited up that day. Very depressing

Now two years later the most exciting offense play for me is an Alex Henery Punt, cause i know i get to watch our D-line just manhandle someone and maybe our defense will score a TD for us.

What makes next year and into the future so exciting is now going into every year i beleive we will be favored to win the Big XII north and we will have a shot at getting to the NC game a lot of those years.

I look at next year and get pretty excited, and the only thing that makes me second guess myself is our offense. If (and thats a big If) our offense can get back to respectability i think we have a good shot at being undeafeated going into the Big XII title game next year and we win that game, we should be in the NC game. Look at our schedule:

09/04 Western Kentucky @ Lincoln- not worried

09/11 Idaho @ Lincoln- not worried

09/18 Washington @ Seattle- No Jake Locker and we play good on the rode=not to worried

09/25 South Dakota St. @ Lincoln- former DII school so not worried

10/02 #Kansas State @ Manhattan- This scares me a little but i still think we can out talent them

10/16 #Texas @ Lincoln- Our players (and coaches) will be out for blood, its in Lincoln, McCoy, Shipley, 3 O-linemen, 2 D-linemen, the leading tackler on the team will all graduate, and its about time we beat texas

10/23 #Oklahoma State @ Stillwater- This game scares me a little cause i think the Big XII north will come down to the Missouri game and NU might over look Okie St, but the fact that OSU loses Robinson, Tolston, Bryant, 3 O-linemen and 9 of the 11 starters on D i think we win this game

10/30 #Missouri @ Lincoln- This game i think will decided the Big XII north and Misouri was a young this year, so i think they will have a decent team next year. The game is in lincoln though and our D will be to much for the Missour offense.....so we win

11/06 #Iowa State @ Ames- Dont turn the ball over 8 times and win this game

11/13 #Kansas @ Lincoln- No Reesing or Meier and i would not be surprised to see Briscoe leave early, games in lincoln and i think we win.

11/20 #Texas A&M @ College Sta.- They have a good QB but lose 3 O-linemen, i think our defense is too much to handle = win

11/26* #Colorado @ Lincoln- We hate them they hate us, they suck so we win

If this all lines up the way i would like, then we would be going up against OU (probably) in the Big XII championship and eventhough OU will be a much better team next year, its still just one game and anything can happen.

Now all of this hinges on the assumption that our offense improves a lot next year. You never know what can happen from year to year. I mean who here thought we would have the best defense in the nation this year after that debacle under Callahan.

On the bright side, we every single offensive starter back next year minus Jacob Hickman and he should be replaced nicely by Mike Caputo. We will need a few players to step up in replace a few senoirs on defense like Suh (unreplaceable), Dillard, both safeties and Turner. I think we have the guys to do it though.

We have some great your LB's to replace Dillard, Crick and Steinkuhler i think can hold up the middle, Cameron Meredith i think is gonna be a stud at D-end, and in the secondary P.J. Smith fills Asante's shoes nicely and Hagg will step in at free safety

Alright dude, you got me pumped! I'm N!

(I know its to early to look at next season but i am avoiding studying and this gives me something to do)

First of all Suh is gonna be in NY and he won the first of many awards to come tonight, Second my classes got cancelled because of the pending blizzard that is sweeping across NE.

And finally the main reason, reading some of the post talking about next year has gotten me thinking and i am very, very, very excited for next year and the years to come.

What the Pelini's brothers (and the rest of this defensive staff) have done should just about qualify as a miracle. I still vividly remember our defense from two years ago playing an average Ok. St. team in Lincoln. Watching that group of "pinkshirts" run around trying to tackle someone was like watching a bunch of overweight 45 year old Irish men on St. Patty's day trying to catch a Leprechaun. They made OSU look like they had Adrian Peterson, Percy Harvin and Reggie Bush all suited up that day. Very depressing

Now two years later the most exciting offense play for me is an Alex Henery Punt, cause i know i get to watch our D-line just manhandle someone and maybe our defense will score a TD for us.

What makes next year and into the future so exciting is now going into every year i beleive we will be favored to win the Big XII north and we will have a shot at getting to the NC game a lot of those years.

I look at next year and get pretty excited, and the only thing that makes me second guess myself is our offense. If (and thats a big If) our offense can get back to respectability i think we have a good shot at being undeafeated going into the Big XII title game next year and we win that game, we should be in the NC game. Look at our schedule:

09/18 Washington @ Seattle- No Jake Locker and we play good on the rode=not to worried

10/02 #Kansas State @ Manhattan- This scares me a little but i still think we can out talent them

10/16 #Texas @ Lincoln- Our players (and coaches) will be out for blood, its in Lincoln, McCoy, Shipley, 3 O-linemen, 2 D-linemen, the leading tackler on the team will all graduate, and its about time we beat texas

10/23 #Oklahoma State @ Stillwater- This game scares me a little cause i think the Big XII north will come down to the Missouri game and NU might over look Okie St, but the fact that OSU loses Robinson, Tolston, Bryant, 3 O-linemen and 9 of the 11 starters on D i think we win this game

10/30 #Missouri @ Lincoln- This game i think will decided the Big XII north and Misouri was a young this year, so i think they will have a decent team next year. The game is in lincoln though and our D will be to much for the Missour offense.....so we win

11/13 #Kansas @ Lincoln- No Reesing or Meier and i would not be surprised to see Briscoe leave early, games in lincoln and i think we win.

11/20 #Texas A&M @ College Sta.- They have a good QB but lose 3 O-linemen, i think our defense is too much to handle = win

If this all lines up the way i would like, then we would be going up against OU (probably) in the Big XII championship and eventhough OU will be a much better team next year, its still just one game and anything can happen.

Now all of this hinges on the assumption that our offense improves a lot next year. You never know what can happen from year to year. I mean who here thought we would have the best defense in the nation this year after that debacle under Callahan.

On the bright side, we every single offensive starter back next year minus Jacob Hickman and he should be replaced nicely by Mike Caputo. We will need a few players to step up in replace a few senoirs on defense like Suh (unreplaceable), Dillard, both safeties and Turner. I think we have the guys to do it though.

We have some great your LB's to replace Dillard, Crick and Steinkuhler i think can hold up the middle, Cameron Meredith i think is gonna be a stud at D-end, and in the secondary P.J. Smith fills Asante's shoes nicely and Hagg will step in at free safety

Isn't it great that we've reached a level where we know we can't write ourselves off in any one game? No matter how high that team is ranked?

Exactly, i love actually realistically having a chance every week.

and i also really like being able to rely on our defense, great feeling

Playing all those WEENIE teams before the Big XII games is why Nebraska can't win big games. If they played some half decent competion before the Big XII it would prepare them better. Of course Doc Sad Sack Sadler is way way worse the way he schedules WEENIES...

Playing all those WEENIE teams before the Big XII games is why Nebraska can't win big games. If they played some half decent competion before the Big XII it would prepare them better. Of course Doc Sad Sack Sadler is way way worse the way he schedules WEENIES...

And we all know when it comes to "WEENIES".....you know your stuff! <_<

And we all know when it comes to recognizing a "WEENIER".....you are the expert! <_<

Texas A&M will be tough.

Other than that, I think we have the edge on all other teams at this point. BUT that is a long ways off, and who knows which teams have Freshmen that just turn it on and become superstars... or other guys that turn it on. It's just so early to know what these other teams will be.

What we DO know is our defense will be good again... but the odds that they are as good as this year is unlikely imo. You don't lose one of the best DT's in the last 25 years, and two seasoned field generals like Dillard and Asante, without having some dropoff.

Our Offense will be better next year, so that should help out a bunch. It has to be better... it can't get a lot worse.

I'm excited to see Ankrah next year. From what I hear, he should be something else.

Ankrah, Cam Meredith and Eric Martin have me giddy for next year, along with returning guys like Dennard, Crick, Steinkuhler, Moore, Allen, Compton, Fisher, Amukamara, Dennard... the list goes on on defense.

If we are even competent on offense next year, we'll be a top ten team all season long.

One note - Jake Locker is a Junior, and I haven't heard anything about him going pro. I would not be surprised at all to see him next year in Seattle.

What we DO know is our defense will be good again... but the odds that they are as good as this year is unlikely imo. You don't lose one of the best DT's in the last 25 years, and two seasoned field generals like Dillard and Asante, without having some dropoff.

Hard to say, but we have a very strong chance of being even better next year. Losing Asante, O'Hanlon, Phil Dill and Suh will hurt, but we've got talent coming in behind them, and not mediocre talent, at that.

At DT we'll return Crick. Bing. We'll have our choice of Steinkuhler or Moore on the other side, and if you noticed when those guys came in this year to give Suh and Crick a breather, not much changed. Moore has the coaches giddy for next year already. He was neck and neck with Crick in Spring and Summer this year, and if I remember correctly he got banged up in camp and slowed down a little. They're saying he's back at 100% and ready to go. Nobody will be as good as Suh, but overall we'll be just fine.

At LB we'll have Compton, Fisher, May and Eric Martin. Martin looks like he could be an absolute terror and could replace the physical run-stopping presence we enjoy with Dillard. Overall, the LB corps looks to improve simply because they won't be first-year starters. There's a lot of talent between Fisher, Compton and May – they just need to translate that into action on the field, and judging by the rest of the defense's improvement overall, I'd say that's likely to happen.

In the secondary we will, again, miss Asante. He brings the lumber and provides that physical presence you need back there. He's good against the pass and the run, and his experience is invaluable. But, we've got Hagg and Thenarse coming back at Safety, and with guys like Amukamara, Dennard, Gomes and Thorell on the corners, we'll be OK. I don't see a lot of drop off in the secondary, if any at all, and without some of the unfortunate plays Asante makes, we may be as good or better.

Taking the defense as a whole, we stand to be as good as this year because we'll have better experience at LB than we have this year, and the DL will once again be stout. We have playmakers in the secondary and we have a BOATLOAD of Freshmen coming in that will push everyone at every position. Competition will be fierce, and the defense should be intimidating.

I can't wait.

Some key notes to add to the games next year....

Knallp alrady pointed out that Locker will probably be there next year

KSU will be early in the season and I believe our depth is a little better than theirs so synder's team won't be playing their best ball by then

Texass is also early on with a new qb however they will have already been battle tested with TT and OU

Missouri will have just finished playing A&M and Oklahoma right before us so that's a nice gauntlet to run

Kansas currently has no HC so that will be interesting to see who is there

Your colorado assessment is right on and my favorite :)