Watson haters.......Cool down and lets remember some things

So Im gona piss some fans off here but

Im sick of the constant attacks on Watson,

First of all do we remember how it was our offense last year that carried us?

second do we remember how Saban (yes the coach who managed to take the Crimson tide back to the promise land in just 3 years) went directly after Watson for his offensive coordinator and offered double his salary.

third, Tom Osborne recommended to Pelini to keep only Watson and Gilmore from the Callahan coaching staff

fourth, Osborne and Pelini have both been nothing but supportive and encouraging of Watson

and fifth he can recruit (and if we do get rid of him there goes Gabbert, and maybe our hopes for Andrew Green next year)

Our two biggest problems this year were depth at the offensive line and experience and depth at the Quarterback position.

Lee would probably not have been the starter if Witt never transfered, and Green would have recieved a red shirt. Were forgetting how hard it is to start as a freshman, especially for an offense whose play book is about a half a foot thick.

People have forgotten how much depth we have lost at the QB position this year, Witt transfered, Spano was sidelined to ACL problems and that left us with a QB who only had 2 pass attempts all of last season, a QB fresh outa highschool, and LB converted to QB because we were so lacking in depth and he played the position in highschool.

Throw on top of that a battered offensive line (Burkes was a huge loss) of Callahan's last and lowly rated recruits, who give our QBs little protection, and you have a major problem.

People seem to be forgetting how our offensive line has been the root of most of our offensive failure. Helu has been battered from the process (and also probably because we over rode him), Lee (who can't make decent decisions to begin with) has no time, and our backs have no holes. We are such a one dimensional offense it ridiculous!

But Cotton is already bringing in the big boys, we have Arod coming this next year and Moore the year after that

So don't do for Watson's throat just yet, give him another year or 2 before we do anything, this year was a hard deck to play with.

If we continually suck on offense the next few years, the Il change my mind

All good points. We did lose a lot of depth from off-field issues as well as injury. That being said, this atrocity we call an offense is simply unacceptable at Nebraska. I think he gets another year. I think that's fair. But if it doesn't pick up in a hurry, Bo might not have any choice.

As for recruiting, we just lost another key offensive commit. Second four-star receiver we've let off the hook. Signing day is a way away yet, but right now Watson's job approval rating is worse than that of congress.

Tom Shatel made some good points:

1. This is only Watson's second year of running “his'' offense. That was Gary Barnett's offense at Colorado (Barnett was running backs coach and OC for Bill McCartney) and that was Bill Callahan's offense at Nebraska. Watson was no more in charge of the proceedings than Frank Solich was during the Tom Osborne era.

2. That means Watson was the coordinator last year when Nebraska ranked sixth in the Big 12 in total offense (450.8 yards per game) and scoring offense (35.4 points per game). Don't give Joe Ganz the credit for a good season and stick Watson with the tab for a bad one. That's not fair. Those were Watson's plays last year. Ganz, Nate Swift and Todd Peterson made them work.

3. Pelini may be hopping mad about his offense, but he can look in the mirror, too. Pelini knows everything in the game plan every week. Everything. He doesn't just show up for the game and say, “Gee, I wonder what Wats has planned for us today?''

OWH.com

Watson haters.......Cool down and lets remember some things

Rushing Offense # 68 141.23

Passing Offense # 101 175.92

Total Offense # 102 317.15

Scoring Offense # 80 24.54

and thats just this year.

Not to mention what obviously would have happened record wise if we had an offense that ranked just 60th or better in the country in total offense.

Play calling and Watson's pride have a lot to do with the offensive issues. Thats not to say there aren't other areas with problems. Watson's offense is broken and the buck should stop with him. I will say it again. Can him!

Im sick of the constant attacks on Watson

Thats not going to stop it.

1. This is only Watson's second year of running “his'' offense. That was Gary Barnett's offense at Colorado (Barnett was running backs coach and OC for Bill McCartney) and that was Bill Callahan's offense at Nebraska. Watson was no more in charge of the proceedings than Frank Solich was during the Tom Osborne era.

2. That means Watson was the coordinator last year when Nebraska ranked sixth in the Big 12 in total offense (450.8 yards per game) and scoring offense (35.4 points per game). Don't give Joe Ganz the credit for a good season and stick Watson with the tab for a bad one. That's not fair. Those were Watson's plays last year. Ganz, Nate Swift and Todd Peterson made them work.

3. Pelini may be hopping mad about his offense, but he can look in the mirror, too. Pelini knows everything in the game plan every week. Everything. He doesn't just show up for the game and say, “Gee, I wonder what Wats has planned for us today?''

OWH.com

Thanks for posting this not that anyone is going to stop with all the hate. I want Wats kept on staff.

OWH.com

Those are good points.

I want Watson gone, but he needs more time to show what he can do...if after this year and they still perform like they did this year then he needs to go. Can we all agree on that?

This year has been a learning process for the whole coaching staff. Hopefully they learn from their mistakes and get things corrected. I want Watson gone more than anybody, but he needs another year...and he better show that his guys can improve.

I wish we could get away from these bucket labels of "Watson Haters" and "Watson Supporters." It's not like you have to be 100% against the guy to realize there's something wrong. We are not scheming to our strengths. We are not developing talent. We are not progressing during the season. These are problems beyond a loss of talent and/or injury. It doesn't take someone with a grudge against a coach to realize this.

I wish we could get away from these bucket labels of "Watson Haters" and "Watson Supporters." It's not like you have to be 100% against the guy to realize there's something wrong. We are not scheming to our strengths. We are not developing talent. We are not progressing during the season. These are problems beyond a loss of talent and/or injury. It doesn't take someone with a grudge against a coach to realize this.

These are the problems with Watson and most, if not all, of the offensive coaches.