Watson haters.......Cool down and lets remember some things

I don't know if I want Watson fired.....quick answer is no.

the guys up front worked hard.... but never got it done and in my opinion didn't get it done against the sun belt teams.

the penelties are obvious and then watch the line only in replays of these games!!!!

we maybe more talented then most teams....at skill positions on offense. BUT as much as i like our secondary.....they are not the same guys with out SUH-Turner-Baker-Allen-Meridith-Crick!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

One thing that is consistent with Watson: it takes him around half a season to figure out what he has and how to use the players he has to be the most successful.

One thing I am concerned about is how do you recruit for this offense? What is this offense? Probably what Carter was asking himself and the reason he decommitted. You can't recruit players for a scheme that totally changes from year to year.

I can only base things on what I have learned and through my own eyes and experiences. My dad coached football for 25 yrs and I played through college.

Many, Many factors go into having a successful offense.

Sometimes you just lose a bunch of talent. Sometimes guys don't play as well in games as they do in practice or don't have the 'It' factor in crunch time. Sometimes leaders don't emerge on the field in the heat of battle, so guys don't have a 'go to' player. Not having a leader can also bring a lack of chemistry since no one is making sure shiit gets done. Sometimes the ball just doesn't bounce your way.

All those things could be attributed to our Players.

Even if (and I think ALL) some of those things happen in a season, a GREAT coach can get Average players to play above their talent.[i mean, do you think O'Hanlon would have ever been the National Def Player of the Week, if it weren't for his coaches COACHING him into being in the right spot, playing Balls Out on every play, etc...?] A great coach gets his guys to Practice a certain way so that in the actual game, the players can achieve. Even if there isn't a 'Star' player, a great Coach can get his players to believe that, collectively, no one can stop their desire and motor. Even if a leader doesn't emerge a great Coach can get them to buy into the system and make such an identity that it becomes All for One.

And even if the ball doesn't bounce your way as often than not, a great Coach disciplines his guys to be in a position to take every advantage of a given opportunity.

That's what great coaches do. And we are not KU. We are Nebraska and we should have great coaches who pull whatever shiit out of a hat to get it done.

I think that's what the 'Watson Haters' are so frustrated by. If he is worth HALF his Salt, he could've found a way to get some damn FIRST DOWNS this season. SIX first downs on the 13th game of the season?? A great coach finds some way to put together SOMETHING that actually rewards a dominant Defense and at least COMPETES. I am not a Watson hater, but watching the first few games of last year(until he came to his senses and switched things up), and then basically repeated his "We're searching for answers" through the first 6 games this year and then dropped a Turd of an offense. He even admitted his Ego got in the way and he had to check it to make some kind of crap adjustments this year. How could he not know to begin with? What kind of talent evaluator is he? How cannot he scheme SOMETHING to generate first downs and TDs? How cannot he mold an identity after being around these guys for 5 years? How can his players not respond and seem so inept? When he finally answers some of these questions he basically says, "We're searching right now"...

So you tell me. Considering we have ALL the tools to get GOOD players, shouldn't a coach be able to get them to play GREAT? Our guys aren't that bad. So is the coaching that bad?

I can only base things on what I have learned and through my own eyes and experiences. My dad coached football for 25 yrs and I played through college.

Sometimes you just lose a bunch of talent. Sometimes guys don't play as well in games as they do in practice or don't have the 'It' factor in crunch time. Sometimes leaders don't emerge on the field in the heat of battle, so guys don't have a 'go to' player. Not having a leader can also bring a lack of chemistry since no one is making sure shiit gets done. Sometimes the ball just doesn't bounce your way.

Even if (and I think ALL) some of those things happen in a season, a GREAT coach can get Average players to play above their talent.[i mean, do you think O'Hanlon would have ever been the National Def Player of the Week, if it weren't for his coaches COACHING him into being in the right spot, playing Balls Out on every play, etc...?] A great coach gets his guys to Practice a certain way so that in the actual game, the players can achieve. Even if there isn't a 'Star' player, a great Coach can get his players to believe that, collectively, no one can stop their desire and motor. Even if a leader doesn't emerge a great Coach can get them to buy into the system and make such an identity that it becomes All for One.

And even if the ball doesn't bounce your way as often than not, a great Coach disciplines his guys to be in a position to take every advantage of a given opportunity.

That's what great coaches do. And we are not KU. We are Nebraska and we should have great coaches who pull whatever shiit out of a hat to get it done.

I think that's what the 'Watson Haters' are so frustrated by. If he is worth HALF his Salt, he could've found a way to get some damn FIRST DOWNS this season. SIX first downs on the 13th game of the season?? A great coach finds some way to put together SOMETHING that actually rewards a dominant Defense and at least COMPETES. I am not a Watson hater, but watching the first few games of last year(until he came to his senses and switched things up), and then basically repeated his "We're searching for answers" through the first 6 games this year and then dropped a Turd of an offense I am beginning to wonder exactly what the hell his IS trying to do?. He even admitted his Ego got in the way and he had to check it to make some kind of crap adjustments this year. How could he not know to begin with? What kind of talent evaluator is he? How cannot he scheme SOMETHING to generate first downs and TDs? How cannot he mold an identity after being around these guys for 5 years? How can his players not respond and seem so inept? When he finally answers some of these questions he basically says, "We're searching right now"...

So you tell me. Considering we have ALL the tools to get GOOD players, shouldn't a coach be able to get them to play GREAT? Our guys aren't that bad. So is the coaching that bad?

I think that's what the 'Watson Haters' are so frustrated by. If he is worth HALF his Salt, he could've found a way to get some damn FIRST DOWNS this season. SIX first downs on the 13th game of the season?? A great coach finds some way to put together SOMETHING that actually rewards a dominant Defense and at least COMPETES. I am not a Watson hater, but watching the first few games of last year(until he came to his senses and switched things up), and then basically repeated his "We're searching for answers" through the first 6 games this year and then dropped a Turd of an offense. He even admitted his Ego got in the way and he had to check it to make some kind of crap adjustments this year. How could he not know to begin with? What kind of talent evaluator is he? How cannot he scheme SOMETHING to generate first downs and TDs? How cannot he mold an identity after being around these guys for 5 years? How can his players not respond and seem so inept? When he finally answers some of these questions he basically says, "We're searching right now"...

wow, triple post. sorry

Ha. It was a great post to have pop up 3 times. I completely agree with your statement and I'll take it one step further.

Shawn's offense had to go up against an absolutely great defense in practice which should have made the offense better over time. The teams we played on Saturday we're NOT as good defensively as the team we faced in practice everyday.

You would think that an average coach could take things he learned in practice against a great defense and have some success against good/average/bad defenses on Saturday....

Because our QB is lost out there on the field with extremely mistake-prone playmakers? At the very least it'd result in 3-and-outs that run a lot less time off the clock than running it 2 or 3 times.

Points scored per game certainly does. Most generally yards equal points.

I'm sorry, but this is the exact attitude I am talking about. Remember, man, WE ARE NEBRASKA. This is not good enough for this program.

Bottom line.

Again, there's a leap in the argument. More yardage = more points. Not necessarily. More yardage often just means playing catch-up. Forcing the O to try to win games, successfully or not. That kind of approach is disastrous this year.

As fans we want our team to be constantly dominant in all areas and we always believe that we have the players to do so. We love throwing names of completely unproven players out there already with visions of them tearing it up in our heads. When it doesn't happen we blame the coaches for not using them the way we would in our heads.

But coaches need to be brutally bottom line. Our O is not high flying this year and NO brilliant scheme changes that. We do what it takes to win. If it means putting the onus on the offense, see 2008. 2009, it meant putting the onus on the defense and playing field position and not making mistakes.

It wasn't pretty, but what happened? We have a team that we can throw out onto the field against ANYONE. We damn near defeated the #1/2 team in America with the guys we have on O. If that's not smart usage of marginal ability, I don't know what is. We take any other approach, and we are cowering under our seats at the thought of playing Arizona rather than assuming we'll take it to them.

Further, had we properly coached these kids there wouldn't be a fear of turnovers.

How the O-line has forgotten how to block and how the WRs can't do anything, is not on Watson. I'm not saying the O doesn't have a TON of problems. But Watson is the guy sitting at the head of it all with the pieces given to him, and trying to figure out how to best use them. Let's face it, we have over the years consistently had less than optimal pieces. But we've done a sometimes decent, sometimes spectacular job of harnessing them. I do not believe you can bring in another guy at the helm and expect him to use these crap parts better than Watson does. And nameless, faceless brilliant new OC isn't going to fix the WR and OL problems either.

Zoogs you made many great points in this thread but this one was off. First this offense didn't have the ability to put up the yards necessary to play catch up. It was rare to see a 70 plus yard drive for a touchdown like against Colorado. This team had trouble driving 10 yards just to get a first down. Let alone getting the ball first and goal against Texas and having to settle for a FG. I believe the main point being made with yards equating to points is those teams have offenses that can grind out long scoring drives. That was sorely missed this season.

I really think our biggest problem is lack of leadership on offense. You don't get the impression that there is real team leadership on the field. Everyone seems like they are doing their own thing. Not sure how coaching fits in here, but everyone likes to bag on the coach.

Who'd be next if Watson is canned? Who's the next scapegoat?

Why would there have to be a scapegoat? That presupposes that the offense will continue to be bad under different leadership, and that's not necessarily the case.

I can't believe that leadership is the whole problem. It's way beyond just leadership, or just Watson, or just... whatever. It's a combination of things.

All I know is, we have a real opportunity next season. The schedule is set up, the players are there, and the fans are ready.

One thing to remember - there's nothing as horrible as unrealized expectations. It did Solich in. It did Callahan in. The honeymoon with Bo could be over if we have another season on offense like this.

Do we really want to go through all that again?

That's an excellent point.

As great as Bo is (& great indeed he is) he simply has to realize that wasting another full year due to an outrageously inept offense is not acceptable to Husker Nation. Many, many posters on the internet want to keep SW despite the comical weekly disasters of our offense. However, even their support for SW will not stop the heat for long.......

I'm quite sure he'll make the right decision.