Watson haters.......Cool down and lets remember some things

I really think our biggest problem is lack of leadership on offense. You don't get the impression that there is real team leadership on the field. Everyone seems like they are doing their own thing. Not sure how coaching fits in here, but everyone likes to bag on the coach.

Who'd be next if Watson is canned? Who's the next scapegoat?

I really think our biggest problem is lack of leadership on offense. You don't get the impression that there is real team leadership on the field. Everyone seems like they are doing their own thing. Not sure how coaching fits in here, but everyone likes to bag on the coach.

Good point. That was something I've noticed as well. On Defense, you see Suh and Dilliard all the time leading the defense. They have leadership on the field and I presume, off the field. You don't see that on the Offense. Last year we had Slauson. He was the leader. He's gone and that seems to have left a huge gaping hole.

Still...I find it absolutely ironic that just as recently as the Lafayette game, fans were singing the praises of Watson and hoping to God another team didn't pick him up as HC. We even freaked out when rumors spread about him possibly going to Bama to be their OC. Now we're clamoring to kick the guy out of town.

Are you saying that Watson is a scapegoat? That's implying that none of this is his fault. Whether it is football, business, or warfare, it all goes back to the leaders and the training that they give their players/employees/troops.

If soldiers can't hit a bull in the arse in the field, that is a direct result of their incomplete training and reflects on their leaders. You could also have the best soldiers in the world and wipe them all out on a frontal assault against a dug-in enemy. That is a leadership issue as well. Soldiers, employees, or football players are only going to be as good as the generals, management, or coaches leading and training them. Their failure is your failure.

Even if you want to make an argument that the quality of the players is just not there, that is the leadership's fault as well. They choose the people to play. I wish people would give me this kind of slack in my business. "Well Paul, you tried your best leading that project.....but you just have bad people on your team. The board will have to be told that we didn't get the 10 million dollar account, but hey....we'll get 'em next time." (Yeah, like that'd fly.)

Why would there have to be a scapegoat? That presupposes that the offense will continue to be bad under different leadership, and that's not necessarily the case.

I can't believe that leadership is the whole problem. It's way beyond just leadership, or just Watson, or just... whatever. It's a combination of things.

All I know is, we have a real opportunity next season. The schedule is set up, the players are there, and the fans are ready.

One thing to remember - there's nothing as horrible as unrealized expectations. It did Solich in. It did Callahan in. The honeymoon with Bo could be over if we have another season on offense like this.

Do we really want to go through all that again?

Why would there have to be a scapegoat? That presupposes that the offense will continue to be bad under different leadership, and that's not necessarily the case.

I can't believe that leadership is the whole problem. It's way beyond just leadership, or just Watson, or just... whatever. It's a combination of things.

All I know is, we have a real opportunity next season. The schedule is set up, the players are there, and the fans are ready.

One thing to remember - there's nothing as horrible as unrealized expectations. It did Solich in. It did Callahan in. The honeymoon with Bo could be over if we have another season on offense like this.

Personally, I'm willing to give Pelini a lot of slack because of what we know he can do for the defense, but we can't wait forever for the offense to show up. Somehow I think these discussions are going to be all academic, because Bo appears to be even less patient than me. With his Type A personality, he has to be seething inside, knowing that he had a defense that could have taken them much further if only we could have had a little offensive production. (Not to mention the money out of his pocket for not going to a BCS bowl)

Exactly. It's never one thing I imagine. Like most situations involving a bunch of people, it's probably a combination of things. Focusing on one thing probably won't get it done.

Think about it. Joe Ganz and last year's offense wasn't too bad. Watson was the coach. This year is different. New people, etc. It's pretty obvious he's tried many different approaches. I thought involving Dr. Tom would have gained points with most Husker fans. In as much as he's at least branching out and trying different things. I think it definitely show's he's got a much smaller ego as coaches in the past.

Maybe scapegoat was the wrong word. obviously some of this comes down on him as he's the coach, but I refuse to believe it's all him.

Personally, I'm willing to give Pelini a lot of slack because of what we know he can do for the defense, but we can't wait forever for the offense to show up. Somehow I think these discussions are going to be all academic, because Bo appears to be even less patient than me. With his Type A personality, he has to be seething inside, knowing that he had a defense that could have taken them much further if only we could have had a little offensive production. (Not to mention the money out of his pocket for not going to a BCS bowl)

Exactly. I trust that we're going to see major changes even if Watson does, by the grace of God, get to stay with the crimson and cream. Pelini can't stand it - he's a perfectionist. You can see the frustration boiling over on the sidelines EVERY game EVERY time our offense bumbles about. We're all upset about the "coulda woulda's" about this season as far as offense is concerned, but take solace in the fact that Pelini is 100x more upset. This is his life's goal. He's going to get it done for us, whatever "it" ends up needing to be.

I guess Waston not to blame for not trying to get the TE involved or trying to have the rb run anywhere but up the middle. <_<

It 's kind of funny that people think that last years offense carried this team last year. The best defenses they played last year destroyed the offense. Ganz had more TD'S passes against last year Nebraska team then any QB or set up the other teams offense in the red zone that the defense was put into a bad situation.

Hate to sound like a broken record but put the Callahan/Watson offense up against top 25 defense and the usual out come was 15 points or less, unless the game was such a blowout that the other teams defense let up or had their second teamers playing kind of like Oklahoma last year and USC the years before.

Here's the thing . . . you don't give passes to someone who has had the reins of the offense for years. I did the same thing with Callahan. I made excuses . . . said the talent isn't there, etc. etc. The reality of the situation is you either get it done or you do not get it done. Watson is not getting it done. Time to clean house on the offensive side of the ball. No excuses.

I don't know what needs to be done with the OC position. BUT - there are plenty of other teams in the Big 12 that could probably complain about not having "the talent" on offense. Yet, those teams find a way to score (and not just fieldgoals either). You cannot tell me that Baylor, Kansas State, and Iowa State have more gifted athletes in their programs than we do. Nothing against those programs, each one of them put up more than a fight against us this year and Iowa State put us in our place. The numbers do not lie:

TOTAL OFFENSE G Rush Pass Plays Yards Avg/P TD Yds/G

----------------------------------------------------------------

1. Texas Tech.......... 8 684 2881 611 3565 5.8 33 445.6

2. Texas A&M........... 8 1440 1963 611 3403 5.6 32 425.4

3. Oklahoma............ 8 949 2385 628 3334 5.3 25 416.8

4. Missouri............ 8 1014 2180 560 3194 5.7 24 399.2

5. Texas............... 8 1206 1931 589 3137 5.3 30 392.1

6. Kansas.............. 8 508 2515 572 3023 5.3 21 377.9

7. Oklahoma State...... 8 1490 1346 569 2836 5.0 22 354.5

8. Iowa State.......... 8 1297 1491 557 2788 5.0 19 348.5

9. Kansas State........ 8 1373 1319 508 2692 5.3 18 336.5

10.Baylor.............. 8 422 2120 537 2542 4.7 11 317.8

11.Colorado............ 8 680 1672 544 2352 4.3 19 294.0

12.Nebraska............ 8 1034 1223 496 2257 4.6 15 282.1

SCORING OFFENSE G TD XP 2XP DXP FG Saf Pts Avg

--------------------------------------------------------------

1. Texas............... 8 39 39 0 0 14 1 317 39.6

2. Texas Tech.......... 8 35 33 2 0 8 0 271 33.9

3. Texas A&M........... 8 33 30 2 0 7 0 253 31.6

4. Oklahoma............ 8 28 27 0 0 12 0 231 28.9

5. Missouri............ 8 24 23 0 0 14 4 217 27.1

6. Oklahoma State...... 8 25 24 1 0 10 0 206 25.8

7. Kansas.............. 8 23 21 1 0 10 0 191 23.9

8. Kansas State........ 8 21 18 1 0 12 0 182 22.8

9. Colorado............ 8 21 18 1 0 6 0 164 20.5

10.Iowa State.......... 8 19 12 2 0 7 0 151 18.9

11.Nebraska............ 8 18 16 1 0 8 0 150 18.8

12.Baylor.............. 8 12 11 0 0 7 0 104 13.0

Baylor is the only school below us two very significant statistical categories. No dout had Griffin not been injured this season they would have taken us in that category too. By the way, these numbers count all the fun we had pushing around the Sun Belt teams.

:wtf That is all.

That's pretty glaring. It'd be way more glaring if you just had conference statistics, because our Sunbelt blowouts are where we got the majority of our points and yards. Is this output what you're willing to put up with at Nebraska? As Carlfense pointed out: Did we have the worst players in the Big 12? No. That falls on the coaches.

The Nebraska football program does not wait for one man. We're at a crossroads, and the program cannot afford to be taking even one step back, let alone so many that it kept us from a BCS bowl, a possible national championship game appearance, and a return to the national conversation. Yes, that is what our lack of offense cost us this year. Heads will roll, I assure you.

This is just for the regular season conference games. If you count the non conference and the Big 12 Championship we averaged 317 yards per game and 24.5 points per game.... still pathetic

link

http://www.huskers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SP...TCLID=204791510

I guess Waston not to blame for not trying to get the TE involved or trying to have the rb run anywhere but up the middle. <_<

It 's kind of funny that people think that last years offense carried this team last year. The best defenses they played last year destroyed the offense. Ganz had more TD'S passes against last year Nebraska team then any QB or set up the other teams offense in the red zone that the defense was put into a bad situation.

Hate to sound like a broken record but put the Callahan/Watson offense up against top 25 defense and the usual out come was 15 points or less, unless the game was such a blowout that the other teams defense let up or had their second teamers playing kind of like Oklahoma last year and USC the years before.

Last year's offense wasn't world class by any means, but the defense sure as hell was nowhere to be seen. To even stand a chance against Virginia Tech or Texas Tech, that was all on the offense keeping us in a position to win. Without that O's ability to rain down fire we're talking about loses to Kansas, CU, and who knows, maybe Baylor and KSU too. But that offense had its share of problems; receivers that couldn't stretch the field and a QB that couldn't make those throws. Ganz is one of my favorites but he won't be known for throwing a pretty deep ball. Good team were able to take advantage of that, get us in a hole, and watch us try to climb out of it with our offense alone. Bad combo.

As far as I know, teams have been taking away the TE from our offense as best they can because there's no need to fear our WRs. One of many luxuries defensive coordinators have when gameplanning against us.

One key point I didn't make before that I probably should have made - "Opening up the offense" doesn't necessarily mean passing a lot more. If I knew that's what that meant when we were talking before I would have been more clear.

Opening up the offense could mean anything from the Wildcat to the Option to a true short-passing-game West Coast offense. We could rack up 300 yards per game and never throw the ball, as we all know. So that's why I had the disconnect between "opening up the offense" and "more turnovers."

The offense is struggling mightily just to execute the most basic, simplified of things. I think that's why we don't see cool wrinkles being introduced. Can't try to moonwalk when you're still limping. I am ambivalent enough about working the option into things, and certainly don't want to see them spend practice time installing the Wildcat. Enough new things in one year. We can name every wrinkle in the book in about ten seconds but installing them comes with an opportunity cost.

As for a true short passing game West Coast, I'm sure we would LOVE to do that. Unfortunately it relies on timing, good routes, smart QB play and sure-handed receivers being on the same page and with a knack for getting open. Result might not be more turnovers, but complete ineffectualness without even taking time off the clock is probably more like it.

You are missing the main point. This offense, and all of its parts fall under Watson. My employees and my employees' employees are my responsibility, as is their performance. Consequently, it is also Bo's responsibility. Sh!t has and always will run downhill. Bo will fix this and Watson will either make a move on his staff or he will be the one removed.

I don't think so. While that is all well and good and noble sounding, not sure it's a really accurate picture. More like you're the point man on a group project, and the guys the head man has appointed as your co-workers are giving you complete junk to work with. Your job is to assemble everyone's work into the best product you can.

As horrid as our offense is, devoid of playmaking threats and devoid of the most important part in the game, a line, Watson has been taking these spare parts and making a bicycle out of them. Give him better parts and he will give you a sports car. Watson's job is to design the blueprints and oversee the driving. Yeah, he's in charge of the offense but that's what an OC does, he doesn't get to control the fact that the his parts suppliers are giving him engines with five horsepower and wheels that are shaped like triangles. If anything, that is Bo's responsibility.

To continue with this analogy, the defensive staff has given us a world class GPS system that will guide us to the destination. We just need to get there. Now, the fact that we have bad parts is fixed. Watson can either choose to build a rickety car that has a high risk of just blowing up in our faces, or an ugly bike that will chug along at a frustratingly slow pace but give us the best chance of reaching the destination intact.

OK, not gonna lie, but I am having too much fun with these metaphors.

Let me look into my crystal ball......

The crystal ball says:

If we give this guy one more year and it doesn't pan out, we are going to be having this very same discussion at the end of next season.

How many years must go by before there is consensus on this topic on this forum? Considering that we still have "Callafans" around here, I'm guessing that answer is that there never will be consensus on this topic. If next year's offense moves up to 70 from this year's 100+, we'll have his allies saying that the offense is improving and he deserves another year. If it drops the year after that, the excuse will be that it was a host of other factors causing the drop.

If we want our program to be taken seriously, much less rejoin the elite, our offense should be ranked 20th nationally (or better) every year. That isn't even a very high bar, based upon our history. Is this guy capable of getting us there and KEEPING us there or very NEAR there each year? What's his track record? We need production, and we need it to be consistent between years. Is he our man? If he can't put us there every year, then I don't care what his name is--he isn't our guy.

Tom Shatel made some good points:

1. This is only Watson's second year of running “his'' offense. That was Gary Barnett's offense at Colorado (Barnett was running backs coach and OC for Bill McCartney) and that was Bill Callahan's offense at Nebraska. Watson was no more in charge of the proceedings than Frank Solich was during the Tom Osborne era.

2. That means Watson was the coordinator last year when Nebraska ranked sixth in the Big 12 in total offense (450.8 yards per game) and scoring offense (35.4 points per game). Don't give Joe Ganz the credit for a good season and stick Watson with the tab for a bad one. That's not fair. Those were Watson's plays last year. Ganz, Nate Swift and Todd Peterson made them work.

3. Pelini may be hopping mad about his offense, but he can look in the mirror, too. Pelini knows everything in the game plan every week. Everything. He doesn't just show up for the game and say, “Gee, I wonder what Wats has planned for us today?''

OWH.com

I love how the what's taken from the article are really only positives related to Watson. This article by Shatel was how Watson would be around in 2010 even though Shatel himself and the majority of fans don't want him back. Shatel's theory of TO originally keeping Wats around was due to continuity since the 2007 offense was good. But obviously there's been a huge fall since then. And Shatel also states that any offense that needs a veteran QB who could qualify for AARP (haha) led by a fifth year senior, Joe Ganz is WAY too complicated. He states that Green would be our starter, but the offense is ridiculously complicated. And... that Bo is a simple man and the WCO is too complicated with no real identity. If Wats doesn't get things figured out and/or if the bowl game has the same time of ineffective offense, then he could be gone after this season. And quite frankly, I think they should get rid of ALL of the Callahan staff!! Get any trace of him out of Cornhusker nation!!

Shatel is, at times, full of hot air, but I thought this article was a pretty good read.

I think Watson is a good coach, but the fact that the only identity we found on the offense this year was to run power football shows you that his coaching philosophy and what Bo or husker nation wants does not match. That, and also the fact that both he and gilmore were held over from the Callahan era doesn't bode well. I would be surprised if we keep Watson and continue to run his version of the west coast. Forgot to mention we lost Curtis Carter which would have been a key component to Watson's offense. Plus, we're trying to recruit Green in the 2011 class and he prefers to run out of the power I. All things are indicating to me that there will be a change. The only thing holding back Bo is probably his friendship with Watson at this point.

While I hated they kept this offense because I think it stinks and was getting yards and td's against defenses that were near cosgrove esk.

It probably was a good thing they kept this offense because if Pellini would have installed his offense and they struggled the mighty fans of Watson/Callahan would have compained how terrible the O was and Pellini couldn't coach.

Now if Pellini changes the offense none of those fans can come back and declare how much better the westcoast and Watson offense would have been.

I asked this about two or three months ago. How long do you watch a building burn before you try to put out the fire?

By the way the Asst coach that gave Shatel the reason they should keep this offense because it so hard to prepare for :wtf should follow Watson out the door.