Response to Carter thread

HANC

and by the way, you might want to look up cody green's high school passing stats before you assume he is more of a runner by far. just because he hasn't mastered the offense in his first year doesn't mean he won't develop into a passing threat or that the coaches didn't recruit him to be one.

You might to want to look at his tapes, a ton of Cody's stats came off of bubble screens and YAC by Dugat when he was there. I still wish we could have got Dugat at the same time with Cody :(

green: 230 for 351 3265 217.7 .655 35 4 49 124

dugat: 113 for 1776 15.72 118.4 77 16

so, throws to non-dugats accounted for the other 1500 yards and 19 touchdowns. and no matter who your star receiver is, a 35-4 ratio is pretty damn good. and 3200 yards on bubble screens and short passes is just astounding.

and fwiw, we're going to have a hard time finding QB's that ran the WCO in high school, so we're going to have to teach them.

yes that is good, but do you think they threw screens to dugat and then threw completely different passes to everyone else?

no, i'm sure they were the world's first effective all screen offense. i'm also sure that cody has a weak arm and the coaches plan to bring in solich to run the wishbone with him.

ya there aren't a lot of high schools running wco but the colleges that are running the west coast offense are going after pro style qb's. you don't see usc going after qb's that run for 1500 yds in high school do you? If they do they sure as hell aren't playing qb. if we are going to run the west coast passing game then fine run it, but don't recruit qbs that are more of a running dual threat. if we are going to run a spread with more of a running base then fine, but don't recruit guys that are more of a passer than runner. We are recruiting qbs that are polar opposites in this next years class.

Wow Dylan, you have all the answers dont ya? Well if Green is such a good passer and his high school stats mean he was Carson Palmer then why wasn't he able to take down Lee? After all it appears you think he passed for over 3000 yards bc he was just slingin the ball around reading defenses, throwing in bt two guys for 80 yard bombs. No, coach he wasn't doing that at all. Yes he was a very good high school qb for the system they had but he was in no shape or form doing even remotely close to what Wats is asking him to do. Did I say they ran all screens once? Nope, sure didn't. Did they run a hell of a lot of screens? Yes they sure did. What exactly are you saying? That he is suitable to run a west coast system? That he is just as good of a passer as Ganz or Gabbert?

ya there aren't a lot of high schools running wco but the colleges that are running the west coast offense are going after pro style qb's. you don't see usc going after qb's that run for 1500 yds in high school do you? If they do they sure as hell aren't playing qb. if we are going to run the west coast passing game then fine run it, but don't recruit qbs that are more of a running dual threat. if we are going to run a spread with more of a running base then fine, but don't recruit guys that are more of a passer than runner. We are recruiting qbs that are polar opposites in this next years class.

i still see no downside to recruiting a quarterback that can do both. if a kid projects as a decent passer, at what point do you say: "no, that kid's way too fast, it'll be too confusing to our offensive style."

btw, off hand, i know USC stole rocky hinds from us. pretty sure mustain is fairly mobile as well. and that's for an offense that doesn't incorporate the qb run game.

on the other hand, we apparently do want the qb to be able to move, but i sense that we first make sure they project as a passer. i am baffled that there's any problem with this.

Wow Dylan, you have all the answers dont ya? Well if Green is such a good passer and his high school stats mean he was Carson Palmer then why wasn't he able to take down Lee? After all it appears you think he passed for over 3000 yards bc he was just slingin the ball around reading defenses, throwing in bt two guys for 80 yard bombs. No, coach he wasn't doing that at all. Yes he was a very good high school qb for the system they had but he was in no shape or form doing even remotely close to what Wats is asking him to do. Did I say they ran all screens once? Nope, sure didn't. Did they run a hell of a lot of screens? Yes they sure did. What exactly are you saying? That he is suitable to run a west coast system? That he is just as good of a passer as Ganz or Gabbert?

kid's a true freshman. i'll hold off on judging his ability to pass well in our offense, but i am willing to bet the coaches brought him in because they think he can.

The attitude isn't the I dont care attitude. I'm going to assume that you're kinda talking to my posts in the carter thread. it isn't the end of the world. Yes it sucks, yes we could use him. Saying that it isn't the end of the world and that we will beat them anyways doesn't mean i dont care if he comes here. i would be thrilled as all hell if we get the kid in. but, people taking the attitude that we arent going to make a god damn bowl game because we don't get curtis carter.. are you freaking kidding me? Is it too soon to name that over-dramatic and over-reaction of the century? Seriously..... think about it.

That's because we are a mix between the WCO, the spread and a straight ahead running game. They have NO identity at all, a WR coach who's more suited to coach TE's. I think Brown OR Beck would do a better job coaching the WR's. We have a o-line coach who can't teach pass blocking technique, and is questionable at the run blocking techniques.

This team won't reach it's potential until we get better coaching (I won't say coaches yet)

I agree with your sentiment havoc....... The people who think the program will "collapse" if we lose a few recruits are a little overboard, but I also think that we can NOT diminish the loss of some of these big name recruits...athletes...

Honestly, recruits are just that. Hell, a large portion don't pan-out to their projected potential anyway. But I have a hard time not getting disgusted watching high profile athletes decomitting and having people say "don't let the door hit you on your way out". I know that fans don't control anything, but I feel as if some have this delussional (sp) attitude that "we don't need you anyway" when these kids change their minds.

Not saying that we wont go to a bowl if Carter leaves, just saying that if Gabbert stayed, we are probably going to a BETTER BOWL, including, possibly a NC or BCS. So yes, losing a few high profile commits can definately hurt a program.

NU will be fine and will continue to win, I am not denying or questioning that. Plus, I am not attacking your post, just stating my opinion that it does hurt to lose some of these guys.

I think that people are forgetting things, with the exception of TT's spread offense, all the other spreads are starting to slow down with the numbers they put up. Look at UF, WVU, hell, look at every spread team in the nation with the exception of TT where the real spread was pretty much invented.

It is clear that the defenses and defensive coaches are catching up to it. It will be next season that you see most spread teams, with the exception of TT, struggle a bit more. The points per game will come down, the yardage per game will come down and the turnovers will go up a bit.

Mizzo and Gabbert got lucky that the Illini turned out to be one of the worst teams in the nation and that their non-conference gave them 4 wins.

I am not saying that spread attack is done, its not, but it will not be as effective as it was two years ago. Those thinking that Mizzo will be good next year are going to be in for a shock when they finsih with 7-8 wins again.

In the end, the only thing that you cant really stop is power football, unless you have a bunch of turnovers or your defense sucks. Just ask Bama.

I think that people are forgetting things, with the exception of TT's spread offense, all the other spreads are starting to slow down with the numbers they put up. Look at UF, WVU, hell, look at every spread team in the nation with the exception of TT where the real spread was pretty much invented.

First off, the spread has been run long before Leach went to Texas Tech. It pretty well has it's roots from LaVell Edwards and BYU in the 70's and 80's. Where did Leach graduate? BYU.

Leach has added a little here and there, and is more aggressive with it than many, but it hardly started at Tech, or even within the last decade for that matter.

The spread is the most overused term in football today. Leach offense is completely different than Urban Meyer's who's is completely different than Rich Rodriguez's, which is completely different from Missouri's. They may have the similar concept of forcing teams to defend the whole field and tackle in space, but so did Osborne's power running\option attack for that matter, and Johnson's option attack which aren't very similar either, yet get lumped together as option football.

Dylan! Here's a clue. We went for 106 yards in our last game. How'd that work out? How many games does 106 yards get you in the W column?

What offense are we going to run next year ? A WCO A spread? An option deal like GT? If you don't know, then why do you think you have a clue as to why we will get more than a first down each QTR and 106 yards a game.

I'm calling you out for BS. Tell us where we will be so great on offense. The scheme, the personnel especially the QB.

You are just whsitling past the graveyard without a f'n clue.

Dylan! Here's a clue. We went for 106 yards in our last game. How'd that work out? How many games does 106 yards get you in the W column?

What offense are we going to run next year ? A WCO A spread? An option deal like GT? If you don't know, then why do you think you have a clue as to why we will get more than a first down each QTR and 106 yards a game.

I'm calling you out for BS. Tell us where we will be so great on offense. The scheme, the personnel especially the QB.

You are just whsitling past the graveyard without a f'n clue.

oh, that game where we beat texas for 60 minutes? i'm not sure what your problem with pelini is, but you have to be impressed by the job he's done. damn near won the league with no offense.

as to next year's offense, i must have missed the part where i said we were going to be great. i said we were going to keep winning games, and we will. as to the style, watson has stated he prefers to go back to the style we ran with gans last year, so i would assume that's what we'll see.

as to why we'll be better, i would start with the presumption that the following guys will actually be healthy next year:

helu

burkhead

smith

williams

qvale

spano

the big one is obviously helu, who struggled with that shoulder the entire year, including against texas. i also have to wonder if spano will make a run at the qb job.

i would also expect to see better depth on the OL with the RSF qvale, coffey, sirles and ash added to the mix. this should help keep the line a little fresher. most of our starters barely got a break this year, even though 3/5 were hobbled for most the season, as there was little depth to speak of.

finally, you can add an additional year for people to improve. we return everyone but hickman and holt. kinnie appears to be coming on for one. paul seemed to get better as the year went on (though that drop was a killer) and could actually compete for all big 12 with improved qb play (which itself would benefit from better OL play).

no matter what we end up seeing out of the offense next year, i bet you we will see at least 9 wins and a spot in the big 12 title game again. what are your expectations? (other than the fact that kids won't play for pelini and TO is likely to fire him in a couple of years for being such a meanie :laughpound )

First off, the spread has been run long before Leach went to Texas Tech. It pretty well has it's roots from LaVell Edwards and BYU in the 70's and 80's. Where did Leach graduate? BYU.

Leach has added a little here and there, and is more aggressive with it than many, but it hardly started at Tech, or even within the last decade for that matter.

The spread is the most overused term in football today. Leach offense is completely different than Urban Meyer's who's is completely different than Rich Rodriguez's, which is completely different from Missouri's. They may have the similar concept of forcing teams to defend the whole field and tackle in space, but so did Osborne's power running\option attack for that matter, and Johnson's option attack which aren't very similar either, yet get lumped together as option football.

BYU was more WCO then spread, its all about hot reads/routes and timing/drops. It is an overused term I will give you that, but it is the correct term, its the idea of getting guys in space, like you said.

Anywho, I am not saying you are wrong. I have coached for 10 years, maybe you have too, I dont know. Its just that I do study up, coach and go to clinics a lot.