New Offensive Philosphy

MCAT800

Maybe I missed something (and if I did someone I'm sure will correct me), but when have the coaches said that they're going to stick with this heavy-sets run oriented offense? Watson has been quoted as saying he wants to get back to the offensive style from last season, just that there wasn't enough experience at QB and OLine. He wants to run, sure, but I don't think he wants a revert to 1990s era Nebraska football either.

It seems to me that we're doing an awful lot of assuming.

with the other recievers you really can't know, because they could still be used...especially Bell, and if we go to a heavy run offense why don't we split Kyler out wide as the main reciever...he'd be a mismatch in terms of blocking downfield as a reciever on a DB.

To me, this is a completely wacked out view of WRs. We favor mismatches in blocking rather than pass-catching and playmaking ability? I hope not.

Thank you for saying this. I don't want the Zac Lee sucks so we're making due offense anymore.

Just wondering if the offense is going in a new direction do we loose anyone to transfers??

At this point were not sure exactly sure what the new face of the offense is going to look like so it may be premature to think about.

But if we move to a heavy run orientated offense does Green look else where since he has a redshirt to burn??

Good question.

Where does it leave Kody Spano? LaTravis Washington? Zac Lee? Taylor Martinez?

In other words, out of all the QB's we have, which one is better suited for a run-oriented offense?

Latravis Washington as his HS in Florida ran the Ozbone (Osborne's) Offense. Latravis was very heavily recruited by quite a few big name programs such as Ohio St and the Big 3 Florida Schools to play QB...Then Kody Spano....

If we switched to a run based offense. My guess would be you w ill lose Zac Lee, Latravis Washington, maybe Ron Kellogg, Khiry Cooper would more than likely just stick to baseball with UNL. Probably lose Antonio Bell and Gilleylen since they are slot recievers. And maybe Kyler Reed since he isn't a blocking TE.

I think we're getting a little ahead of ourselves here. Will we loss some players? Sure, but that is bound to happen every year, regardless of philosophy changes. I highly doubt that NU will suddenly lose half of their underclassmen WRs and all their QBs besides Cody Green and Kody Spano.

Call me an optimist, but I find it kind of difficult to take this thread seriously.

Good post.

Kinnie?

He was on the field alot towards the end of this season. I am most excited about him next year- big body, started to show some improvement at the end of the year.

Yeah... that didn't sound right. I was responding to the post before mine.

I should have clarified... I see him taking over the side opposite Paul, not transferring. I agree, he really came on strong towards the end of the season, and looked pretty friggin physical! There was an article some time back talking about his new emphasis on blocking. As I remember he was pretty impressive as a receiver initially, but couldn't block to save his life. The guy has come quite a ways!

The aforementioned quote for those of you who don't like to scroll. You know who you are! :)

The majority of the time would be just two WR, and they would probably be in for short yardage catches or blocking. To me only Niles Paul would be suited for that, i can't think of would line up on the other side since we lose Holt and Brooks, and Gilleylen isn't good at blocking. Maybe Kyler Reed as you said, but once again, his abilities are possession TE not a blocking TE.

Kinnie?

He was on the field alot towards the end of this season. I am most excited about him next year- big body, started to show some improvement at the end of the year.

Now dont get too excited or hang me for saying this, but if we are molding into an Alabama style of Offense, I can realistically see BK ending up our Julio Jones. He is a big body that has shown he can go get it. & at times get behind the D for big plays. (with an accurate pass) A big WR is a perfect compliment to a power running game & multi-talented TE's can make an offense downright dangerous.

I think it is pretty obvious where our offense is going.... where our talent is. 2 years ago we ran the WCO until it was apparent that the spread fit our personal.... this year the spread didn't work so we went with more power formations....the idea that a recruit or current player would leave because of the system is BOGUS. Watson has shown himself to be very flexible(I am not a big watson fan either.... I don't hate him, but I don't love him) so for a person like curtis carter or gabbert leaving because we wouldn't throw........ if the came here and we didn't throw with them it would be because their talent didn't warrant it.

I still haven't seen the answer to the question "Who said that this was going to be a 'run heavy' offense". I think you will see a pretty balanced attack. Are we just assuming that because Gabbert backed out (in the making for over a month accord. to analysts) and that Carter just thought that because we weren't going to go spread or 4 wide 90 % of the time that he would be better served elsewhere.

I think too much assumption. Yes, we will lose guys......always do and always will at the end of the season. But to say that a lot of our WR corps and QB will leave makes no sense at this point. We will still need to down the field threat, especially on play-action and I can't see this offense throwing less than 15 - 20 times a game.

Unless run run incomplete pass punt is an offensive philosophy, we don't have one right now. Partly personnel, partly play calling. We have two years with Bo and two offenses that could not be more different. Maybe the recruits know something we do not about where the offense is going, and maybe that is effecting things. Now, to be honest given the kind of attitude they two de-commits have given about the number of pass plays they expect, I don't think they fit the culture Bo is building.

I still haven't seen the answer to the question "Who said that this was going to be a 'run heavy' offense". I think you will see a pretty balanced attack. Are we just assuming that because Gabbert backed out (in the making for over a month accord. to analysts) and that Carter just thought that because we weren't going to go spread or 4 wide 90 % of the time that he would be better served elsewhere.

I think too much assumption. Yes, we will lose guys......always do and always will at the end of the season. But to say that a lot of our WR corps and QB will leave makes no sense at this point. We will still need to down the field threat, especially on play-action and I can't see this offense throwing less than 15 - 20 times a game.

I think they're shooting for balance. Maybe 60/40 run/pass?

Bo has said he'd like to replicate Bama's offense.