What are we wanting out of the University of Texas and Big 12?

CornBall

Why do you want to hear legit "beefs" if you just call the people who post them whiners and cry-babies?

Because a TV commercial on a big board isn't legit.

Right, why would propaganda for only 1 of the teams be any kind of advantage :sarcasm

If that were the only issue, then I would agree. Its like putting the frog in a pot of water and turning the heat up ever so slightly. At this point, even the little things that TU gets favored for are getting on my nerves.

Roll Tide!

How about Texas refusing to join the Conference unless Nebraska got rid of it's Prop 48 program? Wouldn't that qualify as them trying to control the league? They got what they wanted, NU had to dump the program. If you don't beleive the Conference was set up around Texas, please do some research and study up on what all happened when the league was formed.

But when conferences are formed, isn't there some give and take? I mean, wouldn't it be natural for the most powerful at the table tend to pursue their interests? I mean, isn't that a bit of human nature?

What is the Prop 48 program by the way? How was NU damaged?

Texas gets its way in all things, not just the games.

The League office went from KC to Dallas.

The champ game is all but moved to Arlington for good.

The tv contract money is set up to funnel more to the Texas Schools.

Osborn warned everyone about it. He said that everything would move to be Texas centric and that the north teams needed to guard against it, and that has not happened.

Is your beef with Texas as in the state? Or Texas as in UT?

Last I checked, Austin is not a suburb of Dallas. It's a 3 hour trip to Austin from Dallas. 90 minutes to Baylor. 2.5 hours to A&M. 3 hours to Norman. 4 hours to Stillwater. 6 hours to Tech.

Hopefully you get the point: The University of Texas IS NOT in Dallas.

DFW has direct, non-stop flights to most of these markets. Kansas City DOES NOT. DFW is the home of MANY headquarters - not just the Big 12. Get over it.

The championship game being in Arlington is NOT a slight against Nebraska any more than it would be against any other team in the conference. NOTE: The University of Texas IS NOT in Arlington.

This is a WONDERFUL venue and if we are fortunate to get their most years, it will be HUGE for our Texas fan base, and HUGE for Texas and Oklahoma area recruiting.

I don't know much about all the TV revenue talk, but I'll take your word for it on that one. That's about the only sensible beef I've actually heard.

I am aware UT is not in Dallas, but its about the same as saying NU is not located in Omaha or Grand Island, still a home game. UT is the big game down there.

I guarantee Texas was the major player in getting things moved to the state. Sure its close to all the Texas schools, and farther for all the north schools. Makes it cheaper for all the south and cost more for the north for travel expenses.

Its all part of the mess where everything in this conference gets stacked for the south teams and stacked against for the north. Where the money goes so will the success, and right now with the lone exception of NU, its all going south.

Yeah, but you have to realize the central location of DFW to the vast majority of the conference. The fact that it is "in" the actual state of Texas doesn't rile me particularly.

I'd like to hear more about how the conference tilts toward the south. Specifics?

DFW is NOT the central location of the conference, OKC or Tulsa would be more centalized.

There have been other reasons listed, why don't you disuss those?

Why do you want to hear legit "beefs" if you just call the people who post them whiners and cry-babies?

Because a TV commercial on a big board isn't legit.

Right, why would propaganda for only 1 of the teams be any kind of advantage :sarcasm

They showed commercials for BOTH schools. I was there front and center. But if you repeat it enough times, it might become true. :espnsucks:

Osborn warned everyone about it. He said that everything would move to be Texas centric and that the north teams needed to guard against it, and that has not happened.

Last I checked, Austin is not a suburb of Dallas. It's a 3 hour trip to Austin from Dallas. 90 minutes to Baylor. 2.5 hours to A&M. 3 hours to Norman. 4 hours to Stillwater. 6 hours to Tech.

DFW has direct, non-stop flights to most of these markets. Kansas City DOES NOT. DFW is the home of MANY headquarters - not just the Big 12. Get over it.

The championship game being in Arlington is NOT a slight against Nebraska any more than it would be against any other team in the conference. NOTE: The University of Texas IS NOT in Arlington.

This is a WONDERFUL venue and if we are fortunate to get their most years, it will be HUGE for our Texas fan base, and HUGE for Texas and Oklahoma area recruiting.

I don't know much about all the TV revenue talk, but I'll take your word for it on that one. That's about the only sensible beef I've actually heard.

I am aware UT is not in Dallas, but its about the same as saying NU is not located in Omaha or Grand Island, still a home game. UT is the big game down there.

I guarantee Texas was the major player in getting things moved to the state. Sure its close to all the Texas schools, and farther for all the north schools. Makes it cheaper for all the south and cost more for the north for travel expenses.

Its all part of the mess where everything in this conference gets stacked for the south teams and stacked against for the north. Where the money goes so will the success, and right now with the lone exception of NU, its all going south.

Yeah, but you have to realize the central location of DFW to the vast majority of the conference. The fact that it is "in" the actual state of Texas doesn't rile me particularly.

I'd like to hear more about how the conference tilts toward the south. Specifics?

Its about money. More TV money goes south. Travel is cheaper with everything located there. It has become the Texas Conference.

DFW is NOT the central location of the conference, OKC or Tulsa would be more centalized.

There have been other reasons listed, why don't you disuss those?

Let's talk about the "other" reasons so far:

- The "commercial" deal, which isn't true.

- The conference headquarters, which is highly debatable.

- The money situation - disparaty against the North - I'd really like to hear about that one.

I don't know of any more legit issues so far...maybe I've missed something.

Its about money. More TV money goes south. Travel is cheaper with everything located there. It has become the Texas Conference.

Last I checked, there are only 4 teams in Texas. When did it change? How has the conference changed since it was formed?

How about Texas refusing to join the Conference unless Nebraska got rid of it's Prop 48 program? Wouldn't that qualify as them trying to control the league? They got what they wanted, NU had to dump the program. If you don't beleive the Conference was set up around Texas, please do some research and study up on what all happened when the league was formed.

But when conferences are formed, isn't there some give and take? I mean, wouldn't it be natural for the most powerful at the table tend to pursue their interests? I mean, isn't that a bit of human nature?

Maybe there is some negotiation, but when a school is invited to a league because THEIR league went belly up due to it being corrupt, and that point you live by the rules of the league that is successful. Besides, there was no give and take. None. TU dictated what it want, and it got it. EVERYTHING NU voted against was voted in by the rest of the league.

If you don't know what Prop 48 is, this is really a dead issue, and you really need to research what happened when the league was formed. Was NU damaged????? WFT, you tell me. Is it an coincidence that NU went from the most feared, bad-assed, ass-kicking program of the mid 90's to a team struggling to regain national prominance. Getting rid of the Prop 48 rule was meant to SPECIFICALLY hurt NU's football program, and it did.

What? How and why are Texas schools getting more than the other schools. I thought it was split evenly between all 12 University's.

The tv money is split as follows.

50% gets split evenly between all 12 schools.

The other 50% is given out on an 'appearance' based system. The teams who play in the telivised game get a set amount based on which network it is on. ABC, then ESPN, FSN and VS.

Now given that the larger media markets are in the south, the games featuring the south teams are a bigger TV draw, and have much better odds of getting one of the better TV slots. Hence more money. Now while this doesn't effect NU that bad, to a place like ISU it just adds another hurdle to wining.

Do we have a link for the tv revenue? Not that I doubt the credability but you've peaked my intrest

Maybe there is some negotiation, but when a school is invited to a league because THEIR league went belly up due to it being corrupt, and that point you live by the rules of the league that is successful. Besides, there was no give and take. None. TU dictated what it want, and it got it. EVERYTHING NU voted against was voted in by the rest of the league.

If you don't know what Prop 48 is, this is really a dead issue, and you really need to research what happened when the league was formed. Was NU damaged????? WFT, you tell me. Is it an coincidence that NU went from the most feared, bad-assed, ass-kicking program of the mid 90's to a team struggling to regain national prominance. Getting rid of the Prop 48 rule was meant to SPECIFICALLY hurt NU's football program, and it did.

So the reason we declined had nothing to do with Bill Callahan, and everything to do with the University of Texas pressing the Prop 48 issue? Frank Solich won 75% of his games. I don't call that a decline. It's not UT's fault that Dan Alexander fumbled going into the endzone. Or was it?

As for UT...I recall them being a strictly MARGINAL program until just a few short years ago.

I covered the TV money farther up the thread. Over the season we are talking hundreds of thousands of dollars difference between schools.

can you discuss further, with some specifics?

Do you think that it doesn't cost NU more to charter busses or fly to Dallas as opposed to KC? Again, with the TV revenue, TU and A&M are going to get more TV time then ISU or KSt. due to their market share earning them more money.

What? How and why are Texas schools getting more than the other schools. I thought it was split evenly between all 12 University's.

The tv money is split as follows.

50% gets split evenly between all 12 schools.

The other 50% is given out on an 'appearance' based system. The teams who play in the telivised game get a set amount based on which network it is on. ABC, then ESPN, FSN and VS.

Now given that the larger media markets are in the south, the games featuring the south teams are a bigger TV draw, and have much better odds of getting one of the better TV slots. Hence more money. Now while this doesn't effect NU that bad, to a place like ISU it just adds another hurdle to wining.

Do we have a link for the tv revenue? Not that I doubt the credability but you've peaked my intrest

Here

And actually that is worse than I remember it being even. You can be talking about millions of difference between a Texas and an ISU. Maybe if it was even ISU would still have baseball

So the reason we declined had nothing to do with Bill Callahan, and everything to do with the University of Texas pressing the Prop 48 issue? Frank Solich won 75% of his games. I don't call that a decline. It's not UT's fault that Dan Alexander fumbled going into the endzone. Or was it?

As for UT...I recall them being a strictly MARGINAL program until just a few short years ago.

Are you really that dense? Osborne possibly would never have left if NU wasn't involved in the Big 12, so we never would have seen Solich as HC or Callahan. You don't call the end of the 01 and the 02 seasons a decline? As far a Dan Alexander (or was is Buckhalter) fumbling, let me put it to you in these terms: maybe there was a much better running back out there that wanted to come to NU at that time, but he could not qualify and ended up elsewhere due to that rule.

Until you research what happened with the formation of the Big 12, this discussion is going nowhere, and I'm growing tired of pissing up a rope.