What are we wanting out of the University of Texas and Big 12?

CornBall

How about Texas refusing to join the Conference unless Nebraska got rid of it's Prop 48 program? Wouldn't that qualify as them trying to control the league? They got what they wanted, NU had to dump the program. If you don't beleive the Conference was set up around Texas, please do some research and study up on what all happened when the league was formed.

But when conferences are formed, isn't there some give and take? I mean, wouldn't it be natural for the most powerful at the table tend to pursue their interests? I mean, isn't that a bit of human nature?

What is the Prop 48 program by the way? How was NU damaged?

Maybe there is some negotiation, but when a school is invited to a league because THEIR league went belly up due to it being corrupt, and that point you live by the rules of the league that is successful. Besides, there was no give and take. None. TU dictated what it want, and it got it. EVERYTHING NU voted against was voted in by the rest of the league.

If you don't know what Prop 48 is, this is really a dead issue, and you really need to research what happened when the league was formed. Was NU damaged????? WFT, you tell me. Is it an coincidence that NU went from the most feared, bad-assed, ass-kicking program of the mid 90's to a team struggling to regain national prominance. Getting rid of the Prop 48 rule was meant to SPECIFICALLY hurt NU's football program, and it did.

So the reason we declined had nothing to do with Bill Callahan, and everything to do with the University of Texas pressing the Prop 48 issue? Frank Solich won 75% of his games. I don't call that a decline. It's not UT's fault that Dan Alexander fumbled going into the endzone. Or was it?

As for UT...I recall them being a strictly MARGINAL program until just a few short years ago.

Fumbles and seconds on the clock is not the point to my statement. Those are things nobody has control over. All I'm saying is if you look at the facts when the Conference was set up, it was set up to make 11 schools catch up with NU as fast as possible, Texas made most of these rules and they were voted in by 10 other schools. If you research the Conference you will see that the majority of the votes were 10 to 1. And I also agree, if your going to bring up this subject, you should at least know the facts about Prop 48. Without it we don't win 3 National Championships.

allow to state why I am pissed at this anti-Texas rhetoric...

1. I grew up in Texas and have always loved the Huskers. I couldn't afford the out of state tuition so I went to UT and graduated with a BBA. Some years later, I had the chance to enroll in NU's MBA program (distance) and I earned it.

2. I know how strong the roots are in Texas for Nebraska in terms of alums and fans, and it just pains me to see NU nation pick Texas apart like there is some conspiracy against NU. It makes me sad because my love for NU has spread to my entire family - my son wants to earn a scholarship at NU some day.

So this is an emotional deal for me, really. I think if NU left the Big 12 it would drive us into obscurity. Lincoln is geographically isolated and I hate that but it's a fact. It would be the same if we left for another conference, but our recruiting would suffer big time.

Those of you that don't live in Texas, I can tell you this state overall has huge respect for our NU program, and it saddens me to see this kind of talk.

I know it's just a message board, but it's still sad. Heck, me and my buddies have probably made 30 or more trips to Lincoln from Dallas up I-35 to see our Huskers. Austin itself has a huge NU alumni base.

So I'm sorry, but this just hits close to the heart for me guys.

allow to state why I am pissed at this anti-Texas rhetoric...

1. I grew up in Texas and have always loved the Huskers. I couldn't afford the out of state tuition so I went to UT and graduated with a BBA. Some years later, I had the chance to enroll in NU's MBA program (distance) and I earned it.

2. I know how strong the roots are in Texas for Nebraska in terms of alums and fans, and it just pains me to see NU nation pick Texas apart like there is some conspiracy against NU. It makes me sad because my love for NU has spread to my entire family - my son wants to earn a scholarship at NU some day.

So this is an emotional deal for me, really. I think if NU left the Big 12 it would drive us into obscurity. Lincoln is geographically isolated and I hate that but it's a fact. It would be the same if we left for another conference, but our recruiting would suffer big time.

Those of you that don't live in Texas, I can tell you this state overall has huge respect for our NU program, and it saddens me to see this kind of talk.

I know it's just a message board, but it's still sad. Heck, me and my buddies have probably made 30 or more trips to Lincoln from Dallas up I-35 to see our Huskers. Austin itself has a huge NU alumni base.

So I'm sorry, but this just hits close to the heart for me guys.

I can understand where you are coming from. But from those of us in Nebraska all we see is Texas Texas Texas every time the conference is mentioned. I'm sure is something fairly prevalent in all the north schools. The media never mentions north schools without some sort of insult put in. When we look at everything, it gets very hard to not see a bias against us. Everything keeps moving close to the media darlings. As things go I can see this conference having changes

How about Texas refusing to join the Conference unless Nebraska got rid of it's Prop 48 program? Wouldn't that qualify as them trying to control the league? They got what they wanted, NU had to dump the program. If you don't beleive the Conference was set up around Texas, please do some research and study up on what all happened when the league was formed.

But when conferences are formed, isn't there some give and take? I mean, wouldn't it be natural for the most powerful at the table tend to pursue their interests? I mean, isn't that a bit of human nature?

Maybe there is some negotiation, but when a school is invited to a league because THEIR league went belly up due to it being corrupt, and that point you live by the rules of the league that is successful. Besides, there was no give and take. None. TU dictated what it want, and it got it. EVERYTHING NU voted against was voted in by the rest of the league.

If you don't know what Prop 48 is, this is really a dead issue, and you really need to research what happened when the league was formed. Was NU damaged????? WFT, you tell me. Is it an coincidence that NU went from the most feared, bad-assed, ass-kicking program of the mid 90's to a team struggling to regain national prominance. Getting rid of the Prop 48 rule was meant to SPECIFICALLY hurt NU's football program, and it did.

So the reason we declined had nothing to do with Bill Callahan, and everything to do with the University of Texas pressing the Prop 48 issue? Frank Solich won 75% of his games. I don't call that a decline. It's not UT's fault that Dan Alexander fumbled going into the endzone. Or was it?

As for UT...I recall them being a strictly MARGINAL program until just a few short years ago.

Fumbles and seconds on the clock is not the point to my statement. Those are things nobody has control over. All I'm saying is if you look at the facts when the Conference was set up, it was set up to make 11 schools catch up with NU as fast as possible, Texas made most of these rules and they were voted in by 10 other schools. If you research the Conference you will see that the majority of the votes were 10 to 1. And I also agree, if your going to bring up this subject, you should at least know the facts about Prop 48. Without it we don't win 3 National Championships.

Also, at the time the Big 12 was formed, TU was NOT the most powerful, NU was, with CU and K St being up there, too. TU should have had NO power in negotiating anything, seeing as how the SWC self-distructed.

Does CornBall not see any correlation between the Big 12's formation, and the rise of TU, T Tech, OSU, and OU, and the fall of NU, K St., CU, and to some degree KU (they did finish in the top 10 of football polls the last year of the Big 8).

Also, at the time the Big 12 was formed, TU was NOT the most powerful, NU was, with CU and K St being up there, too. TU should have had NO power in negotiating anything, seeing as how the SWC self-distructed.

Does CornBall not see any correlation between the Big 12's formation, and the rise of TU, T Tech, OSU, and OU, and the fall of NU, K St., CU, and to some degree KU (they did finish in the top 10 of football polls the last year of the Big 8).

The NCAA has helped also. The changes to recruiting rules are designed to favor large population states and cripple small states and cold weather schools. Also very much set up to help the haves stay that way and keep the have nots down.

Proposition 48.

Was passed in 1983. This mandated student-athletes to reach certain academic eligibility requirements in order to compete for Division I colleges.

Under Proposition 48, student athletes are required to have a minimum SAT score of 700, or an ACT score of 17, and a minimum GPA of 2.0 in at least 11 courses in core classes

I understand that this hurt recruiting, what I dont see is how this is a bad thing.

Proposition 48.

Was passed in 1983. This mandated student-athletes to reach certain academic eligibility requirements in order to compete for Division I colleges.

Under Proposition 48, student athletes are required to have a minimum SAT score of 700, or an ACT score of 17, and a minimum GPA of 2.0 in at least 11 courses in core classes

I understand that this hurt recruiting, what I dont see is how this is a bad thing.

Prop 48 stated that an athlete who didn't fully qualify could be granted a scholarship, but he had to sit out his freshman season and lose one year of eligibility.

Is the part that hurt us. We cant take a year to get a guy built up. we have to send them off to junior college now.

Proposition 48.

Are you saying you think the program was a good thing? Or are you saying you think it was a good idea to dump it? I'm not sure how you are wording that.

For the "OKC/Tulsa is the center of the Big XII" crowd...

Where exactly would you host a nationally televised CCG???

The population of the Big XII is heavily tilted to the South and the DFW area is a huge recruiting battle ground. If we take care of business and keep winning the north and playing in DFW, we will have more of a shot at the top recruits from that area and thus make us better equipped to compete on the national stage.

I can't stand UT for the most part and probably dislike the Horns more than most on this board, but this talk is irrational. I am in favor of dropping Baylor and Iowa State and playing all 9 conference teams. The money lost from not playing a CCG would be made up by not having two extra schools to split the pie with.

I would suggest that the conference be based in a neutral location (not in Dallas) and that the Big XII championship be played in a neutral location. Dallas was not a neutral site in my opinion. Move the conference to someplace like Arkansas?

Finally, officiating in the Big XII championship should come from another conference and there should not be the appearance of favortism or conflict of interest such as all referees being from the state of Texas as it was in the CCG.

For years we have held up proudly how many academic all american we have, yet still have a problem with the NCAA doing something to ensure some sort of standard is set for the kids on scholarship. 2.0 and a 700 is laughable. I for one was glad that this was passed. I know it doesnt solve all problems but it was a start.

Some people feel that this is a racially biased rule, as many of the students who qualified as Prop 48s were minorities who came from less-advantaged backrounds. Even though you and I may feel that a 2.0 and 700 are laughable, look at a guy like Jared Tomich, who came to NU as a Prop 48. It wasn't due to him not being "smart enough" it was due to him having a learning disability.

You may find it good, but in all honesty, it has taken away the opportunity for many less-advantaged kids to achieve a higher education.

For years we have held up proudly how many academic all american we have, yet still have a problem with the NCAA doing something to ensure some sort of standard is set for the kids on scholarship. 2.0 and a 700 is laughable. I for one was glad that this was passed. I know it doesnt solve all problems but it was a start.

Some people feel that this is a racially biased rule, as many of the students who qualified as Prop 48s were minorities who came from less-advantaged backrounds. Even though you and I mau feel that a 2.0 and 700 are laughable, look at a guy like Jared Tomich, who came to NU as a Prop 48. He wasn't due to not being "smart enough" it was due to him having a learning disability.

You may find it good, but in all honesty, it has taken away the opportunity for many less-advantaged kids to achieve a higher education.

Correct.

I would suggest that the conference be based in a neutral location (not in Dallas) and that the Big XII championship be played in a neutral location. Dallas was not a neutral site in my opinion. Move the conference to someplace like Arkansas?

Finally, officiating in the Big XII championship should come from another conference and there should not be the appearance of favortism or conflict of interest such as all referees being from the state of Texas as it was in the CCG.

Agreed on the officiating thing.

Where would a good neutral conference site be?

KC? That's just an hour from KSU and KU.

Tulsa? Just an hour from OSU and 3 from OU.

Denver? This just 45 minutes from Boulder.

OKC? That's OU's backyard.

San Antonio? That's practically in UT and A&M's backyard.

DFW? The nearest school to DFW is Baylor. The rest of the schools are AT LEAST a 3 hour drive. I don't see that as a problem per se.

BTW, I live in Austin and I see absolutely zero anti Big 12 North bias per se, and hear nothing but respect generally for our program at Nebraska.

I think some of this sounds like rumor to me.

I was at the CCG and I saw no particular slant toward Texas whatsoever. We had our "tunnel walk". We had our commercial (despite claims to the contrary). Heck, our band played the national anthem, NOT Texas'.