What are we wanting out of the University of Texas and Big 12?

CornBall

I would suggest that the conference be based in a neutral location (not in Dallas) and that the Big XII championship be played in a neutral location. Dallas was not a neutral site in my opinion. Move the conference to someplace like Arkansas?

Finally, officiating in the Big XII championship should come from another conference and there should not be the appearance of favortism or conflict of interest such as all referees being from the state of Texas as it was in the CCG.

Agreed on the officiating thing.

Where would a good neutral conference site be?

KC? That's just an hour from KSU and KU.

Tulsa? Just an hour from OSU and 3 from OU.

Denver? This just 45 minutes from Boulder.

OKC? That's OU's backyard.

San Antonio? That's practically in UT and A&M's backyard.

DFW? The nearest school to DFW is Baylor. The rest of the schools are AT LEAST a 3 hour drive. I don't see that as a problem per se.

BTW, I live in Austin and I see absolutely zero anti Big 12 North bias per se, and hear nothing but respect generally for our program at Nebraska.

I think some of this sounds like rumor to me.

I was at the CCG and I saw no particular slant toward Texas whatsoever. We had our "tunnel walk". We had our commercial (despite claims to the contrary). Heck, our band played the national anthem, NOT Texas'.

Just a stab, but what about Arkansas?

I would suggest that the conference be based in a neutral location (not in Dallas) and that the Big XII championship be played in a neutral location. Dallas was not a neutral site in my opinion. Move the conference to someplace like Arkansas?

Finally, officiating in the Big XII championship should come from another conference and there should not be the appearance of favortism or conflict of interest such as all referees being from the state of Texas as it was in the CCG.

DFW? The nearest school to DFW is Baylor. The rest of the schools are AT LEAST a 3 hour drive. I don't see that as a problem per se.

BTW, I live in Austin and I see absolutely zero anti Big 12 North bias per se, and hear nothing but respect generally for our program at Nebraska.

I was at the CCG and I saw no particular slant toward Texas whatsoever. We had our "tunnel walk". We had our commercial (despite claims to the contrary). Heck, our band played the national anthem, NOT Texas'.

I think that CENTRALLY located would be nice. There is not going to be anything so blatantly obvious when it comes to a bias to one (or more) school. We have given many instances in which the conference as a whole has been weakend due to TUs influence.

I'll put it to you this way: If NU was leading the direction of the conference, and TU was getting the short end of the stick time after time, you should bet the house that TU fans would be bellyaching more than NU fan ever has.

I'm not against having any CCGs in Texas, I'm just against having all of them there. Moving it around the the various NFL stadiums in the conference states would be just fine. The issue seems to be all the south schools cry about it being cold.

Its possible the actual people in Austin don't have anti-north bias, I don't get down there. But the media certainly does. There was one article from a Texas paper that was nothing but insults against everything Nebraska, state, people everything. When the media people mention the Big 12 North, there is always a derogatory adjective put in the sentence. Things like 'horrible' or 'the worst division in college football' I've seen putrid and it goes on and on.

Having lived in the Lone Star State for 6 years, I feel I can weigh in on this issue.

'Don't mess with Texas.' That right there just sticks in my craw right off the bat.

I could make an incredibly long post about all the undue crap I was given not only because I was a fan of the Big Red, but because I was from Nebraska, a free state no less. I can't tell you how many conversations I had with Texans about how Texas was and could be their own country again.

Do you ever see the blue and gold of the Nebraska state flag at any Husker athletic event home or away? No, but you sure as hell see a whole bunch of Texas state flags wherever the Longhorns are playing, although they are one of several major colleges in the state.

Speaking of flags, how about the Longhorn flag that a Texas LB attempted to plant into the Memorial Stadium field turf after they barely escaped with a win in '02? I don't care who it was - you don't do that in Lincoln.

This is little stuff, to be sure, but suffice it to say that all I ever got from the Texas faithful was DISrespect. Never once did I hear any positive comments about Nebraska athletics, much less our state. It was quite simply an atmosphere of arrogance, and I couldn't wait to leave.

You cannot use a sympatic circumstance of one with a learning disablity to argue your point. What about people like Kevin Ramaekers (NU Grad and Prop 48 student) who by his own admission said that he did not apply himself in high school.

To be honest if a student has learning disabilities they actually have access to additional resources to ensure that the curve is balanced for them in high school. So the minorities from a less-advantaged backround come to college not knowing how to read and that fine because they get access to a higher education.

LOL Really............... There are alot of kids that are in school now on scholarship for football and basktball around the country that may have passed the requirement on paper, but could care less about the great oppurtunity of higher education.

Just a stab, but what about Arkansas?

Little Rock? If we are going to set up shop in a city that has zero media (which would be suicide for the whole conference), then that opens up all sorts of options for a league headquarters.

Having lived in the Lone Star State for 6 years, I feel I can weigh in on this issue.

'Don't mess with Texas.' That right there just sticks in my craw right off the bat.

I could make an incredibly long post about all the undue crap I was given not only because I was a fan of the Big Red, but because I was from Nebraska, a free state no less. I can't tell you how many conversations I had with Texans about how Texas was and could be their own country again.

Do you ever see the blue and gold of the Nebraska state flag at any Husker athletic event home or away? No, but you sure as hell see a whole bunch of Texas state flags wherever the Longhorns are playing, although they are one of several major colleges in the state.

Speaking of flags, how about the Longhorn flag that a Texas LB attempted to plant into the Memorial Stadium field turf after they barely escaped with a win in '02? I don't care who it was - you don't do that in Lincoln.

This is little stuff, to be sure, but suffice it to say that all I ever got from the Texas faithful was DISrespect. Never once did I hear any positive comments about Nebraska athletics, much less our state. It was quite simply an atmosphere of arrogance, and I couldn't wait to leave.

"Don't Mess With Texas" is an advertising campaign of the Texas Department of Transportation, and was begun in an effort to reduce litter on Texas road and highways. It worked. It's not a slight against Nebraska.

I would challenge you to find me any article in Texas that has been written by a reputable news organization that blatantly slighted Nebraska or the University.

Texas was in fact its own sovereign nation at one point. People in Texas have a certain pride about that. It isn't a slight against Nebraska.

The Texas state flag is going to fly at most any public event in Texas, but subordinate to the U.S. flag. I'm not real sure how that's a slam against Nebraska.

I have never been disrespected for getting my MBA from Nebraska or supporting Nebraska. Except for good natured fun at work, lunch, etc. You're thin-skinned. Get over it.

You cannot use a sympatic circumstance of one with a learning disablity to argue your point. What about people like Kevin Ramaekers (NU Grad and Prop 48 student) who by his own admission said that he did not apply himself in high school.

touche. And you can't use the instance of only Ramaekers to make your point. Sure, there are plenty of students who don't apply themselves, but how do we know which ones those are?

To be honest if a student has learning disabilities they actually have access to additional resources to ensure that the curve is balanced for them in high school. So the minorities from a less-advantaged backround come to college not knowing how to read and that fine because they get access to a higher education.

LOL Really............... There are alot of kids that are in school now on scholarship for football and basktball around the country that may have passed the requirement on paper, but could care less about the great oppurtunity of higher education.

You are correct, but those kids who don't care about their education now AREN'T Prop 48 athletes. I would bet that many kids would love to have that opportunity, but don't due to Prop 48 students being disallowed.

For years we have held up proudly how many academic all american we have, yet still have a problem with the NCAA doing something to ensure some sort of standard is set for the kids on scholarship. 2.0 and a 700 is laughable. I for one was glad that this was passed. I know it doesnt solve all problems but it was a start.

Some people feel that this is a racially biased rule, as many of the students who qualified as Prop 48s were minorities who came from less-advantaged backrounds. Even though you and I may feel that a 2.0 and 700 are laughable, look at a guy like Jared Tomich, who came to NU as a Prop 48. It wasn't due to him not being "smart enough" it was due to him having a learning disability.

You may find it good, but in all honesty, it has taken away the opportunity for many less-advantaged kids to achieve a higher education.

Prop 48 was a very good thing, and like stated above, gave many underprivileged kids the ability to go to college. Kids who were good athletes but not so good in school...for whatever reason...were able to be recruited by Nebraska. These kids were then given the opportunity to work hard, with the help of the academic department within the athletic department, and basically turn their lives around. Nebraska and Coach Osborne worked very hard to establish the academic department which is as good if not better than any other athletic department in the country. Along the way, Nebraska was able to get great athletes but also help underprivileged kids...A WIN-WIN FOR EVERYONE. Texas realized this and the fact that they didn't NEED to go after underprivileged kids in order to get good athletes (they can recruit anyone they want in that huge state) and forced Nebraska to get rid of it....this hurt NU and obviously helped TU. Now one could try and turn it around and say..."Nebraska was just recruiting the scumbag kids who were good athletes but couldn't cut it grades wise", but if they didn't turn their grades around once at Nebraska, they were gone.

"Don't Mess With Texas" is an advertising campaign of the Texas Department of Transportation, and was begun in an effort to reduce litter on Texas road and highways. It worked. It's not a slight against Nebraska.

I would challenge you to find me any article in Texas that has been written by a reputable news organization that blatantly slighted Nebraska or the University.

Texas was in fact its own sovereign nation at one point. People in Texas have a certain pride about that. It isn't a slight against Nebraska.

The Texas state flag is going to fly at most any public event in Texas, but subordinate to the U.S. flag. I'm not real sure how that's a slam against Nebraska.

I have never been disrespected for getting my MBA from Nebraska or supporting Nebraska. Except for good natured fun at work, lunch, etc. You're thin-skinned. Get over it.

Here is the result of your challenge. The Austin American Statesman gets called a reputable news org. And Here is an article that was talked about on the radio here before the game. Things like this are exactly what I'm talking about.

I KNOW it's not a slight against Nebraska. But the phrase has been used in a plethora of different contexts, and very few times did it have to do at all with litter control. Maybe they should've used it to curb drunk driving in Texas...

http://www.statesman.com/news/content/news.../1204kelso.html

Boom.

I KNOW Texas was a country at one point. Normally, this was a fact ground into my ears once the other Texans in the conversation learned that I wasn't from Texas - as though I needed to know all the special things about their state contrasted to mine.

I see that flag everywhere they play, whether they're in Texas or not. If any fan base would have the justification to feel they represent their state, however, it would be Husker fans.

Maybe it was just the area I lived in, but nobody I met had any respect at all for the University of Nebraska in any context. If I never had to live there, I probably wouldn't have any problems with Texas.

We did actually have a legit bitch in '99, and I'm not talking Buck's fumble. Ref ignored an obvious clip on Mike Brown on Texas's winning-drive(think it was the go-ahead score itself, don't remember for sure ). It was blatant. Mike Brown was ready to make a tackle, there was contact from behind, and Mike goes stumbling to whiff. It was in the open at the point of attack, no excuse for the ref missing what is usually a drive-killing penalty. Zebra may well have cost us a shot at the title.

Also, when folks complain about the ill effects of the power moving south it's not just the horns. Against Tech we got bad officiating last year in Lubbock and abominable officiating in Lincoln this year. Sucks when I can look at the sched and know what games I'll be unhappy with the officiating after. How is it that KSU and Mizzou get a couple of holding calls anyway but OU, Tech, and Texas could just mug our d-line all day long?

Texas gets its way in all things, not just the games.

The League office went from KC to Dallas.

The champ game is all but moved to Arlington for good.

The tv contract money is set up to funnel more to the Texas Schools.

Osborn warned everyone about it. He said that everything would move to be Texas centric and that the north teams needed to guard against it, and that has not happened.

Is your beef with Texas as in the state? Or Texas as in UT?

Last I checked, Austin is not a suburb of Dallas. It's a 3 hour trip to Austin from Dallas. 90 minutes to Baylor. 2.5 hours to A&M. 3 hours to Norman. 4 hours to Stillwater. 6 hours to Tech.

Hopefully you get the point: The University of Texas IS NOT in Dallas.

DFW has direct, non-stop flights to most of these markets. Kansas City DOES NOT. DFW is the home of MANY headquarters - not just the Big 12. Get over it.

The championship game being in Arlington is NOT a slight against Nebraska any more than it would be against any other team in the conference. NOTE: The University of Texas IS NOT in Arlington.

This is a WONDERFUL venue and if we are fortunate to get their most years, it will be HUGE for our Texas fan base, and HUGE for Texas and Oklahoma area recruiting.

I don't know much about all the TV revenue talk, but I'll take your word for it on that one. That's about the only sensible beef I've actually heard.

I am aware UT is not in Dallas, but its about the same as saying NU is not located in Omaha or Grand Island, still a home game. UT is the big game down there.

I guarantee Texas was the major player in getting things moved to the state. Sure its close to all the Texas schools, and farther for all the north schools. Makes it cheaper for all the south and cost more for the north for travel expenses.

Its all part of the mess where everything in this conference gets stacked for the south teams and stacked against for the north. Where the money goes so will the success, and right now with the lone exception of NU, its all going south.

Yeah, but you have to realize the central location of DFW to the vast majority of the conference. The fact that it is "in" the actual state of Texas doesn't rile me particularly.

I'd like to hear more about how the conference tilts toward the south. Specifics?

Wow, did Mack teach you geography? How is it central for the vast majority? KC is more central. It's only far for the Texas teams. Dallas is far for the whole north.

Plus having the CCG in a venue we're more likely to win the CCG will do more for the program than having it in front of Jerry's big screen. If you're a legit Nebfan you should want the game rotating to KC where we're more likely to be kicking ass in front of a sea of red (theres' more than one way to impress recruits). Also, Dallas-fans get first crack at CCG-tickets down there. Neb fans get a better crack at tickets in KC and KC does hold the attendance records.

Rotating the game is just the fair thing, not that Beebe cares. He was seen by many openly cheering for the horns. He said it himself, he's afraid of the upsets that are more likely if the game continues to rotate.

He has no respect for the integrity of the game. He wants to have his cake and eat it too. He wants that CCG money but not the risk that comes with having a fair CCG game.

There are many plays in a football game that, after the ball hits the ground, a second or two ticks off the clock. The problem is that it only seems to matter at the end of a game.

Agreed. But with that being said, It is something that can't be changed and it won't unfortunately, we as fans just have to put up with the human error that there is a second or two that runs off that game clock before it stops. Its just sad that it only matters at the end of the game.

That being said, as much as it makes me upset that Texas won the Big 12 title game this year by 1 second that was rightfully put back on the score. Most of the stuff, if not all, of what you are saying in the above post i don't agree with. we shouldn't concede to Texas and leave the conference, Adi's scholly should not be taken away, if he is even on a scholarship. If the Big 12 title game is in Texas I am ok with it too, seeing how this year if it was in Kansas we all would have been very cold.

I will state this one fact right now, I have and will forever hate the Texas Longhorns, not because of this year, that game just added salt to the wound, i have always hated them, and not just them, I don't like the state of Texas or the Dallas Cowboys, even though I like their new stadium. Its just something about those two teams that make me sick.

But i digress, after the Big 12 title game this year, all it really does is intensify a rivalry between the two schools and it sends a message to Texas that we are getting better.

DAY BY DAY, WE GET BETTER AND BETTER,

UNTIL WE CAN'T BE BEAT, WON'T BE BEAT!

How about Texas refusing to join the Conference unless Nebraska got rid of it's Prop 48 program? Wouldn't that qualify as them trying to control the league? They got what they wanted, NU had to dump the program. If you don't beleive the Conference was set up around Texas, please do some research and study up on what all happened when the league was formed.

But when conferences are formed, isn't there some give and take? I mean, wouldn't it be natural for the most powerful at the table tend to pursue their interests? I mean, isn't that a bit of human nature?

What is the Prop 48 program by the way? How was NU damaged?

Maybe there is some negotiation, but when a school is invited to a league because THEIR league went belly up due to it being corrupt, and that point you live by the rules of the league that is successful. Besides, there was no give and take. None. TU dictated what it want, and it got it. EVERYTHING NU voted against was voted in by the rest of the league.

If you don't know what Prop 48 is, this is really a dead issue, and you really need to research what happened when the league was formed. Was NU damaged????? WFT, you tell me. Is it an coincidence that NU went from the most feared, bad-assed, ass-kicking program of the mid 90's to a team struggling to regain national prominance. Getting rid of the Prop 48 rule was meant to SPECIFICALLY hurt NU's football program, and it did.

So the reason we declined had nothing to do with Bill Callahan, and everything to do with the University of Texas pressing the Prop 48 issue? Frank Solich won 75% of his games. I don't call that a decline. It's not UT's fault that Dan Alexander fumbled going into the endzone. Or was it?

As for UT...I recall them being a strictly MARGINAL program until just a few short years ago.

Fumbles and seconds on the clock is not the point to my statement. Those are things nobody has control over. All I'm saying is if you look at the facts when the Conference was set up, it was set up to make 11 schools catch up with NU as fast as possible, Texas made most of these rules and they were voted in by 10 other schools. If you research the Conference you will see that the majority of the votes were 10 to 1. And I also agree, if your going to bring up this subject, you should at least know the facts about Prop 48. Without it we don't win 3 National Championships.

Also, at the time the Big 12 was formed, TU was NOT the most powerful, NU was, with CU and K St being up there, too. TU should have had NO power in negotiating anything, seeing as how the SWC self-distructed.

Does CornBall not see any correlation between the Big 12's formation, and the rise of TU, T Tech, OSU, and OU, and the fall of NU, K St., CU, and to some degree KU (they did finish in the top 10 of football polls the last year of the Big 8).

of course he doesn't because he is a sycophant to all that sucks and must be nuked...ie every piece of garbage from texas. i vote we walk him off the plank.