Class Comparison

I'll take NU's class and to each their own. Pelini's have made a name for themselves defensively and we can see the product on the field. Held OU to 3 points, KSU to 3 points, MO to 12, and UT to 13. Most of the champions the last few years have won because of their defense. Look at UF and OU. Most prolific offense with tons of skill players, dominated by Florida's D. Once the Pelini's get the guys they want on defense, we'll be even better and more efficient. Defenses are always harder to fix than offenses. Once we get a good QB in or a few good skill positions, we'll be on the warpath. I have no doubt if Gabbert had stayed at NU we'd be at least 12-1 this year. Offensive skill players are fun to watch but they're not as valuable as a well-functioning defense.

That's the thing.....we needed defense in this class which no one seems to realize. It's very hard to compare MUs and NUs classes because we are staked full of defense and they are stacked full of offense.

I really think both classes are full of quality gets and both should be rated between 25-30 on rivals as classes. I have a hard time thinking MUs class is the 17th best class in the country. If Lucas commits, I'll be eating my words.

Mizzou's class is looking pretty good. I could buy it.

I think our class is very good on the defensive side of the ball. Offensively we're currently light on WRs as well as RB and QB is a glaring hole.

Not number-wise. With only one RB and one QB on the field at a time, we have 3 scholarship QB's that are sophomores or younger and 5 RB's. If you are talking talent-wise, I think that it is a bit early to tell.

Looking at only sophomores and younger on the depth chart, we have good scholarship numbers at most positions. We could use another defensive back or two though (preferably safeties or players that could project as either a safety or cornerback).

Mizzou should only be taking 2-3 guys correct? Their class is at 19. They have something like 14 WRs coming back right???? But yet they stand a good chance to add 4 in this class. Hunt, Carter, Lucas, Sasser. To me, that seems very odd. The only two that I would imagine you would make room for if they wanted to come are Carter and Lucas. Sasser and Hunt arent exactly "cant miss" talents. They are good additions but not exactly kids that one would make room for.

They do have 14 returning WR's. However, 3 are walk-on types who likely will only play special teams at best. 2 will be seniors and 3 juniors. So at the upper end, pretty thin. And overall pretty inexperienced. So, of 11 receivers, 2 or 3 probably just won't cut it, and will see little field time. That leave about 8 or 9 for a team that puts 3 or 4 receivers per play. You need depth. I'd love to see Hunt, Carter, Lucas and Sasser all commit. Mizzou is a throwing team and will be for the foreseeable future.

Thank you for the clarification.

Spano is likely done after tearing the same ACL twice. Martinez should, imo, really be at another position.

RB i think we could live without as Burkhead and Robinson have looked good as true frosh, but we could really use a QB right about now.

Danario Alexander tore his ACL twice, and had 3 surgeries. Now he's SI First Team All American. Hold on to hope.

Doesn't a 3 or 4 star today being a 2 or 3 star a few years ago imply this years class not really being that much different than previous years?

on the flip side it may imply that MU's previous classes were underrated. And the product on the field would also back up that thought

Spano is likely done after tearing the same ACL twice. Martinez should, imo, really be at another position.

RB i think we could live without as Burkhead and Robinson have looked good as true frosh, but we could really use a QB right about now.

Danario Alexander tore his ACL twice, and had 3 surgeries. Now he's SI First Team All American. Hold on to hope.

Wow. I did not know that...

No kidding... hold on to hope.

Doesn't a 3 or 4 star today being a 2 or 3 star a few years ago imply this years class not really being that much different than previous years?

on the flip side it may imply that MU's previous classes were underrated. And the product on the field would also back up that thought

I would definitely have to say that the classes with Daniel, Franklin, Coffman, Maclin, Alexander, Weatherspoon, Hood, Woffert, etc. were underrated.

But looking at this years class i was think MU might on the verge of doing better. However, what i'm hearing saying suggests that it will be more of the same. Do you believe this to be the case?

I would definitely have to say that the classes with Daniel, Franklin, Coffman, Maclin, Alexander, Weatherspoon, Hood, Woffert, etc. were underrated.

But looking at this years class i was think MU might on the verge of doing better. However, what i'm hearing saying suggests that it will be more of the same. Do you believe this to be the case?

sorry for the late responce madcat,

I do believe at this point there is alot of talent coming in. IF MU is able to add any combo of Lucas/Carter/Sasser to what they already have in this class and to what they added last year that could really be a very talented WR core. You might not always get a stud like Alexander or Maclin. But the overall depth and talent will be much better. If you think back to 2007, MU was able to supliment their lack of depth as WR with the talent they had at TE.

As far as the Linemen. I do believe they are better. We used to lose the top line players from MO to OU and others. The last few years they have been coming to MU. I believe the upgrades in recruited talent along with the same ol' big farmboys that we had been getting instate will improve our talent at those positions over what it has been. As a MU fan you can clearly see it is much better now then it was a few years ago and most believe it has a real chance to improve even more.

I guess in short, you will see alot of the same. MU finding the players that they know fit what they are doing and coaching and building them up. But you are also seeing a mixture of better overall talent and skill players being brought in. So I guess a little of both.

I do believe at this point there is alot of talent coming in. IF MU is able to add any combo of Lucas/Carter/Sasser to what they already have in this class and to what they added last year that could really be a very talented WR core. You might not always get a stud like Alexander or Maclin. But the overall depth and talent will be much better. If you think back to 2007, MU was able to supliment their lack of depth as WR with the talent they had at TE.

As far as the Linemen. I do believe they are better. We used to lose the top line players from MO to OU and others. The last few years they have been coming to MU. I believe the upgrades in recruited talent along with the same ol' big farmboys that we had been getting instate will improve our talent at those positions over what it has been. As a MU fan you can clearly see it is much better now then it was a few years ago and most believe it has a real chance to improve even more.

I guess in short, you will see alot of the same. MU finding the players that they know fit what they are doing and coaching and building them up. But you are also seeing a mixture of better overall talent and skill players being brought in. So I guess a little of both.

The Callahan departure gave MU recruiting a lot of momentum IMO. You guys were able to get some great talent from Nebraska in that class which allowed MU to continue playing at a high level after Chase Daniel. Specifcally two players...Gabbert (obviously) but also Dan Hoch. Hoch started right away.

Fro, looking at this class currently and the possibility of adding Carter, Lucas, Sasser......would you consider this the best recruiting class MU's ever put together? Also, how many guys do you expect to take this year? 21?

The Callahan departure gave MU recruiting a lot of momentum IMO. You guys were able to get some great talent from Nebraska in that class which allowed MU to continue playing at a high level after Chase Daniel. Specifcally two players...Gabbert (obviously) but also Dan Hoch. Hoch started right away.

Fro, looking at this class currently and the possibility of adding Carter, Lucas, Sasser......would you consider this the best recruiting class MU's ever put together? Also, how many guys do you expect to take this year? 21?

If MU is able to get 2 of the 3 then I would say absolutly yes it would be the best class.

As for as guys...I think you will see around 23. They may take more, but probably a max of 24 or 25. They have 19 right now. Word is they are holding 1 for lucas then have 3 more spots that are open for 5 known guys.

As it was mentioned above the Hoch loss hurt. We lost 3 good lineman in that class to other schools in Hoch, Givens, and Robinson. There is our offensive problems right there. You add those three to our two deep rotation and we would have been a very dangerous running team.

I remember when we were incredibly excited about our #5 recruiting class in 2005. I remember when Colorado was excited about their #15 recruiting class in 2008 and Darrell Scott. I remember when KSU was excited about their #18 class in 2004. I could go on.

I am surprised that so many are this interested in (or concerned about) Missouri's recruiting. We'll see what happens when some of these players actually take the field.

I remember when we were incredibly excited about our #5 recruiting class in 2005. I remember when Colorado was excited about their #15 recruiting class in 2008 and Darrell Scott. I remember when KSU was excited about their #18 class in 2004. I could go on.

I am surprised that so many are this interested in (or concerned about) Missouri's recruiting. We'll see what happens when some of these players actually take the field.

Nonsense. Ten or twenty years from now, Missourians will look at that Big 12 North Recruiting Champion banner hanging in the stadium and think back with pride. :sarcasm

Nonsense. Ten or twenty years from now, Missourians will look at that Big 12 North Recruiting Champion banner hanging in the stadium and think back with pride. :sarcasm

Concerned isn't how I feel at all. This entire topic is about how our class easily stacks up against the 17th rated class in the country. I just picked MUs class as an example because rivals shot their "ranking" all the way from 40th to 17th after the TG commit and Marcus Murphy commitments last weekend. I trust Bo's hard work in recruiting and our traditions to get us high quality kids every year.