My Sister-- In Life Magazine's Online Photo Gallery

mmmtodd

So, I think Ive mentioned her somewhere on here before, but Im a proud brother and want to toot the horn some more. My sister is a top level speedskater in the US Olympic program, lives in Milwaukee and trains at the Pettit Olympic Training Center. The US championship are currently going on in Salt Lake, and she was caught by one of Life's photographers. If you look closely, you can see the "C" on her forehead from their new sponsor, Stephen Colbert. It also says "Colbert Nation" down the side of her leg, as he was nice enough to step in and help when the teams former sponsor, DSB Bank, went under.

Life Sports Photo Gallery -- Sugar Todd

She is a little young to truly compete for an Olympic spot in Vancouver, most hit their peak in the mid-twenties, and she is only 19. She hangs around and there is no one younger faster, and her performance in the 1000m race today earned her a spot on the Junior World Cup team, where she will travel to Italy next month, and Berlin in March. So shes flying pretty high right now, and man, I cant help to think about the possibilities for the 2014 Olympics.

photo from a while back that i have...

15453_357139290715_518805715_10139663_6986747_n.jpg

no, not at all. he didnt actually put forth money, but he put them up on his website and solicited donations. hes helped raise over $200,000 of the $300,000 dollar shortfall the team faced so far. it actually worked out perfect for him, with his whole anti-canadian running joke he has, with the games being in vancouver. had several prominent skaters on the show, and he was actually at the US Championships yesterday and taped an exhibition race against gold medalist shani davis to be aired on the show later.

in fact, you can see the logo and the donation link front and center on his homepage

Colbert (DO)Nation

Comedy Central press release of the Colbert Nation Announcing Sponsorship of the US SpeedSkating Team (includes video clip from The Colbert Report On-Air Announcement)

• 2 months later...

Update--She made the junior world team once again...and takes off for Moscow next week for a World Cup event. Things are progressing as well as anyone could wish for...heading back to Russia in 4 years looks more and more realistic everyday.

here she is with Stephen Colbert in Salt Lake around Christmas...

17135_1189181182097_1605360154_30542183_704811_n.jpg

She got me a pretty neat autographed copy of the Sports Illustrated of which he was on the cover. In fact, I believe its in her lap there.

• 2 weeks later...