Cody Green

I think it depends on a couple things, whether he's willing after burning his rs this year and getting a taste of starting, and who the backup is. If Kody's back I can see it. If Washington is ready to back up then maybe. I don't think Bo will RS Cody if he does not want it, and I think he's going to want to compete.

Vince you are treading on thin ice here.

I thought I was the only one that felt that way willing to state it.

I have yet to be wrong on our starters over the last 6 years.

I think Zac will get his ducks in line if he heals. My guess is Green will transfer to.

Like I said before Cody has shown the ability to make progress and has more progress to make.

Just look at someone like Terrell Pryor at Ohio St. Now I would guess that Pryor is a better talent that Green is because he is a better runner, but just for comparison purposes follow along.

Pryor came in as the most touted player in the nation out of HS. He played as a Freshman and I believe made his first start midseason. He has had many growing pains at OSU and seems to have maybe just finally got things down after the Rose Bowl victory this week.

Now I'm not trying to say Cody is Pryor because Pryor is a pretty special talent, but they have similar qualities. They are both tall, strong QBs, with big arms. It took until the bowl game of his (true)Sophomore year and over a year of starting for Pryor to look like he has things down.

Its not just Pryor either... look at Barkley at USC he struggled at starting while being Rivals Top Player for most of his HS Career.

Anyway I guess its probably a good thing that some of us are letting the expectations lessen on Cody, but at the same time people jumping ship and judging him off of his True Freshman campaign are crazy.

Also the stuff about Cody transferring just makes me mad. I'm sure you guys don't know Cody, his family, or in general anything about Cody's personality. So comments about him saying he will just transfer or he should just transfer, etc... are frustrating. I don't know Cody personally but I've been around him and he loves it here at Nebraska, his family loves it at Nebraska, and he has a strong drive to be a starting QB at Nebraska and believes he can do it, but at the same time will take the coaching he receives to make himself better.

Like I said before Cody has shown the ability to make progress and has more progress to make.

Just look at someone like Terrell Pryor at Ohio St. Now I would guess that Pryor is a better talent that Green is because he is a better runner, but just for comparison purposes follow along.

Pryor came in as the most touted player in the nation out of HS. He played as a Freshman and I believe made his first start midseason. He has had many growing pains at OSU and seems to have maybe just finally got things down after the Rose Bowl victory this week.

Now I'm not trying to say Cody is Pryor because Pryor is a pretty special talent, but they have similar qualities. They are both tall, strong QBs, with big arms. It took until the bowl game of his (true)Sophomore year and over a year of starting for Pryor to look like he has things down.

I'll give that they are both tall and strong. I don't know how strong either's arm is actually. Cody throws with zip; doesn't mean he has a "big arm".

But Pryor is a freak who runs like a 4.3, and Cody is pedestrian by those standards.

Freshman QBs will have their struggles. The difference is those guys were once-in-years talents coming out of HS and started at big-time programs that had plenty of other guys at the position. Pryor forced his way to PT with a senior Boeckman entrenched, and Barkley had Parade All-Americans like Mitch Mustain and Aaron Corp.

Green is a 4-star ranked similarly to Kody Spano on the Rivals list of dual-threat QBs out of HS, couldn't beat out or even force some playing time against an injured junior who wasn't able to light it up.

I will say I agree that judging Cody now is crazy. Has nothing to do with his star status, but he's just a freshman who should've redshirted. Time will tell for Cody, he will hopefully have all of next year to sit and develop.

But I think when you look at the two extremes, in terms of attitudes regarding Cody's future, you have to acknowledge something: the "next Vince Young" prediction is far crazier than the underwhelming scenario, and there is a very distinct, real possibility that the light will never come on like it has to and he won't ever push his way to a starting job.

But hey, it's still too early to judge, but since people want to talk about it :) let's be clear on what the possibilities/relative likelihoods of coming true are. There's been a lot of "sweet! Tommie Frazier Part 2" sentiment, and it's better to see that settle down as opposed to crash down hard in a couple years when we are still waiting for it to happen.

Its not just Pryor either... look at Barkley at USC he struggled at starting while being Rivals Top Player for most of his HS Career.

Anyway I guess its probably a good thing that some of us are letting the expectations lessen on Cody, but at the same time people jumping ship and judging him off of his True Freshman campaign are crazy.

Also the stuff about Cody transferring just makes me mad. I'm sure you guys don't know Cody, his family, or in general anything about Cody's personality. So comments about him saying he will just transfer or he should just transfer, etc... are frustrating. I don't know Cody personally but I've been around him and he loves it here at Nebraska, his family loves it at Nebraska, and he has a strong drive to be a starting QB at Nebraska and believes he can do it, but at the same time will take the coaching he receives to make himself better.

A redshirt is not out of the question, depending of how Lee's surgery turns out. Now that the year is over the main thing that separated Pryor and Green in there first years was Greens inability to throw the ball.

Pryor was quite aways ahead in that area, running the ball I would say even.

Look for Martinez to get into the #2 QB fray next year.

I think Zac will get his ducks in line if he heals. My guess is Green will transfer to.

With all of my posts I remove all emotion and just tell it like it is.

I guess "Spock" for member name must have been taken. :snacks:

I think Zac will get his ducks in line if he heals. My guess is Green will transfer too.

have to disagree with this thought, i don't think Green is a quiter.......he might be frustrated with the complexity of Wats O, but he is only a freshman, as many have said, Wats O is not easily assimilated in one season.

With all of my posts I remove all emotion and just tell it like it is.

I guess "Spock" for member name must have been taken. :snacks:

I love it. That was awesome

Huh? In his (albeit limited) playing time, I've seen close to no progress made on his part. He continually stares down his receivers and I'm afraid he's going to throw a pick every time. He's lucky he doesn't have 2 or 3 more INT's.

I'm not saying he'll never get good, but as it stands now, Zac Lee is head and shoulders above him. Green has to make A LOT of progress to give him a serious run for the starting position, especially considering a hurt Lee was still outshining him.

As of now, I'd think it would be a good idea to redshirt him next year, but we will see how that all pans out.