How I see it next year

Next year's Conference rankings

1. SEC--Florida could implode next year with losses of Tebow and Meyer but LSU, Auburn, and of course Alabama will keep them #1. Auburn has the ability to be special especially with the recruiting class they have coming in this year. Alabama obviously keeps Ingram who will be a load for anybody they play. And LSU will benefit from getting QB Jordan Jefferson more reps and more experience and true Freshman Randle to improve as well. Their Defense could take them to the SEC CCG if all goes well.

2. Pac 10--yes the same conference that went 2-5 this year in bowls has a ton of young teams and the fewest seniors graduating of any conference. They will be back next year assuming USC can put together some type of run which is entirely plausible with the type of talent they have there. Also look for UCLA to improve along with Washington especially with the return of Jake Locker.

3. ACC-- Miami and VT will lead the conference and Miami will keep getting better. They, like the PAC 10 will not lose a lot of talent next year.

4. Big XII-- even with Nebraska expected to be an 11 or 12 win team, the conference loses too many players to be considered as good as they were this year to name a few: Bradford, McCoy, Reesing, Shipley, Suh. The North division is not good except for Nebraska and Missouri, but Mizzou took a huge step back vs. NAVY and there is no one else that is a contender in the North. The South loses the best offensive mind in Leach and most of the talent from its two best teams. Darkhorse is Baylor.

5. Big Ten-- They may not be ready as a conference to take center stage again but OSU certainly appears to be the part after taking apart Oregon and almost beating USC earlier in the year. They very easily could have been undefeated this year even with a mediocre offense.

6. Mountain West--Although they lose key seniors, the recruiting in this conference has been fantastic and has really been under the radar especially from TCU and Utah and BYU even. Look for a lot more competition from this conference for years to come

7. The Big East still doesn't look good. Pitt should be the favorite since Cincy loses Pike and they have zero defense. One team does not a conference make especially when your best team should be only a pre-season rank of 15 or so. When you are ranked higher than a team (Cincinnati v. Florida) and you get beaten as badly as you did, and you're the best team in your conference vs. the #2 from another, that shows a huge weakness.

Your thoughts?

1. SEC--Florida could implode next year with losses of Tebow and Meyer but LSU, Auburn, and of course Alabama will keep them #1. Auburn has the ability to be special especially with the recruiting class they have coming in this year. Alabama obviously keeps Ingram who will be a load for anybody they play. And LSU will benefit from getting QB Jordan Jefferson more reps and more experience and true Freshman Randle to improve as well. Their Defense could take them to the SEC CCG if all goes well.

2. Pac 10--yes the same conference that went 2-5 this year in bowls has a ton of young teams and the fewest seniors graduating of any conference. They will be back next year assuming USC can put together some type of run which is entirely plausible with the type of talent they have there. Also look for UCLA to improve along with Washington especially with the return of Jake Locker.

3. ACC-- Miami and VT will lead the conference and Miami will keep getting better. They, like the PAC 10 will not lose a lot of talent next year.

4. Big XII-- even with Nebraska expected to be an 11 or 12 win team, the conference loses too many players to be considered as good as they were this year to name a few: Bradford, McCoy, Reesing, Shipley, Suh. The North division is not good except for Nebraska and Missouri, but Mizzou took a huge step back vs. NAVY and there is no one else that is a contender in the North. The South loses the best offensive mind in Leach and most of the talent from its two best teams. Darkhorse is Baylor.

5. Big Ten-- They may not be ready as a conference to take center stage again but OSU certainly appears to be the part after taking apart Oregon and almost beating USC earlier in the year. They very easily could have been undefeated this year even with a mediocre offense.

6. Mountain West--Although they lose key seniors, the recruiting in this conference has been fantastic and has really been under the radar especially from TCU and Utah and BYU even. Look for a lot more competition from this conference for years to come

7. The Big East still doesn't look good. Pitt should be the favorite since Cincy loses Pike and they have zero defense. One team does not a conference make especially when your best team should be only a pre-season rank of 15 or so. When you are ranked higher than a team (Cincinnati v. Florida) and you get beaten as badly as you did, and you're the best team in your conference vs. the #2 from another, that shows a huge weakness.

Your thoughts?

Your joking right?

I think the Pac 10 proved that they are not physical and I would not put them ahead of Big 12, Big 10, or ACC.

I think this is true, too. I was really shocked at how poorly the Pac-10 represented themselves in the bowls. It's difficult to say how teams will react to their postseason, though. Some teams are just darned glad to go bowling (Iowa State), some get pissed because they feel they got shafted in their bowl selection (Missouri), some go out there with something to prove (Nebraska), and some go out like a sacrificial lamb to the slaughter (Texas). I think the Pac-10 is a LOT better than they showed in the bowls. There's just no way to prove that.

In general I don't have a problem with the OP's rankings, although with the parity we have now the 2-4 conferences are almost interchangeable.

I think the Pac 10 proved that they are not physical and I would not put them ahead of Big 12, Big 10, or ACC.

I think this is true, too. I was really shocked at how poorly the Pac-10 represented themselves in the bowls. It's difficult to say how teams will react to their postseason, though. Some teams are just darned glad to go bowling (Iowa State), some get pissed because they feel they got shafted in their bowl selection (Missouri), some go out there with something to prove (Nebraska), and some go out like a sacrificial lamb to the slaughter (Texas). I think the Pac-10 is a LOT better than they showed in the bowls. There's just no way to prove that.

In general I don't have a problem with the OP's rankings, although with the parity we have now the 2-4 conferences are almost interchangeable.

I don't agree with the bolded part at all. I've been saying all year that the Pac-10 is not physical enough to be considered an elite conference. I think all of the Little 9 teams are about where they always are . . . decent speed in the skill positions . . . but not exceptional speed. Also, these teams in particular lack any sort of physicality on either side of the ball. USC is usually an elite school, but they are down far enough this year that everyone assumed that the other 9 schools were improved. Actually (IMO) USC just got worse. The other teams didn't improve.

Your thoughts?

I'm a show me person which is why I still have the SEC and Big 12 #1 and #2. The order can probably be interrchanged. Meyer isn't going anywhere. He'll still be on the sideline at Florida. Nick Saban is still Nick Saban. I wouldn't expect to see LSU or Auburn finish any higher than #3 in the conference anytime soon. The Big 12 still has talent loaded schools like OU and Texas. Hopefully, Nebraska is in the mix as well. OU's OL will be better and Stache got a lot of experience this year. I'd be surprised if the Big 12 Champion isn't playing for a National Championship next year against the SEC Champion.

The Big 10 and Pac 10 will come in #3 and #4. The biggest question is will Pryor ever develop into the player he was projected to be when coming out of high school? If he does, then Ohio State could easily make a run for the NC. The same thing goes with Barkely(sp) and USC. Because both of these schools are in conferences slightly lighter than the SEC and Big 12, it's possible they play one another for a NC next year.

I'm putting the ACC as #5. Randy Shannon has had some outstanding recruiting classes at Miami for years, but it rarely translates onto the field. They play pretty good at times, and then they play horrible at times. Virginia Tech will be Virginia Tech, but I don't know if they've got enough fire power for a title run. It will be interesting to see if Georgia Tech can put a lock on the ACC next year and for years to come.

The Big East comes in as #6. IMO, the BCS should revoke the Big East's automatic BCS bowl berth. We shall see if Kelly is the real deal or whether he just played horrible competition in the Big East. Anytime one of the better teams in the conference has Pud as the AD and Stache as the coach, you know it's a pretty horrible conference.

I put the Mountian West last because nobody gives them a fair shake. They have no automatic BCS bowl berth, and it appears as though no matter what they do or accomplish the BCS will never give them a fair shake for playing for a NC. As long as this continues, how can you rank them any higher than last?

I don't agree with the bolded part at all. I've been saying all year that the Pac-10 is not physical enough to be considered an elite conference. I think all of the Little 9 teams are about where they always are . . . decent speed in the skill positions . . . but not exceptional speed. Also, these teams in particular lack any sort of physicality on either side of the ball. USC is usually an elite school, but they are down far enough this year that everyone assumed that the other 9 schools were improved. Actually (IMO) USC just got worse. The other teams didn't improve.

i was one of those who thought that the Pac-10 has finally developed into an elite program and arrived to the status where the hype was true (commentators always think the Pac-10 is way better than it really is); however, i think you are absolutely right that with USC down, all the other teams seemed better. we were still impressed when they were beat and that meant something it should not have. it is like USC was a 20-25 team, but everyone acted and treated them and acted like they were a top 10 team and inflated the rankings and status of the Pac-10. i do not like the Pac-10, but it would be nice if they were as good as their hype, or they were just no longer hyped; it would be nice if reality was the same as perception.