Scholarship Crunch for 2012?

So I was going through the roster scholarship numbers and I noticed something that could be an issue in a couple of years. NU only has 11 Sophomores, Juniors to be, on the roster. That means that potentially NU will only be able to give 11-13 scholarships for 2012. That means that the class of 2010 and 2011 are that much more important.

Plus we will see some attrition from some Cally recruits. I would imagine that we will cut more dead weight in the next few semester.

They should almost all be gone by then though I think. Those 11 will consist of the last of the Callahan recruits. The roster behind them has 36 RFR. and Fr., add to that 18 incoming recruits for 2010 at a minimum and you have 54 players. The 2011 class will have 21 players or so making 75 total players. There isn't a lot of space unless some of Bo's guys leave, which is also possible. How does this affect the Walk Ons getting Schollies?

Plus we will see some attrition from some Cally recruits. I would imagine that we will cut more dead weight in the next few semester.

They should almost all be gone by then though I think. Those 11 will consist of the last of the Callahan recruits. The roster behind them has 36 RFR. and Fr., add to that 18 incoming recruits for 2010 at a minimum and you have 54 players. The 2011 class will have 21 players or so making 75 total players. There isn't a lot of space unless some of Bo's guys leave, which is also possible. How does this affect the Walk Ons getting Schollies?

And you always have to account for a few unforeseen cases like Castille, Lawrence, C. Williams and Burkes. That will "help" the numbers as well.

Don't forget about the incoming JUCO's. That increases the scholly limit a couple spots and I'm sure we'll see some attrition along the way.

Those 2 are factored into my numbers. What isn't factored in is if Bo goes a bit bigger on JUCO's next season to help offset the class sizes.

I counted 22 Sophmores...

Actually I miscounted a bit. This link has the best breakdown you will see anywhere, not sure why I didn't go here first before counting it up myself. http://64.131.67.10/vbbs/showthread.php?t=79125. Assuming all 18 current recruits sign and make it onto the roster, here is the list for next Fall as it stands right now.

There are 21 Seniors to be:

P. Allen

P. Amukamara

C. Barrett

D. Gomes

E. Hagg

R. Helu

A. Henery

R. Henry

W. Henry

D.J. Jones

A. Kunalic

Z. Lee

B. Martin

M. McNeill

N. Paul

M. Smith

R. Thenarse

L. Washington

A. West

K. Williams

D. Young

There are 12 Juniors to be:

A. Blue

M. Caputo

J. Crick

L. David

A. Dennard

C. Gilleylen

J. Hardrick

R. Hill

M. Jones

B. Kinnie

M. Mendoza

T. Moore

There are 24 Sophomores to be:

A. Bell

R. Burkhead

W. Compton

K. Cooper

B. Cotton

S. Fisher

C. Green

C. Harper

M. Kreikemeier

T. Marlowe

E. Martin

C. Meredith

C. Okafor

C. Osborne

S. Osborne

K. Reed

D. Robinson

PJ. Smith

K. Spano

B. Steinkuhler

B. Thompson

L. Ward

A. Whaley

J. Williams

There are 13 Redshirt Freshmen to be:

J. Ankrah

N. Ash

J. Coffey

A. Green

J.T. Kerr

T. Martinez

L. Middleton

C. Pensick

B. Qvale

T. Randle

J. Sirles

D. Washington

C.J. Zimmerer

There are 15 True Freshmen to Be:

W. Ashburn

K. Bell

J. Cotton

Q. Enunwa

C. Evans

T. Evans

J. Guy

B. Heard

H. Jackson

J. Mitchell

M. Moudy

T. Okuyemi

A. Rodriguez

C. Rome

D. Vestal

So right now there will be 21 spots for the 2011 class and only 12 spots for the class of 2012. The 2012 football season will also be the first season with all Bo Pelini recruits.

Once again, if Heard is for real, Mendoza and/or Okafor will proably bolt..... Can you see all the QBs hangin around? Plus Kreikemier is coming off of two surgeries, and more of these guys will be put on medicals...

furthermore, what about Ward.....would he stay to sit behind Helu, Burkhead, Heard, Robinson......at least 2 backs will not be here in the fall (IMO)

Once again, if Heard is for real, Mendoza and/or Okafor will proably bolt..... Can you see all the QBs hangin around? Plus Kreikemier is coming off of two surgeries, and more of these guys will be put on medicals...

furthermore, what about Ward.....would he stay to sit behind Helu, Burkhead, Heard, Robinson......at least 2 backs will not be here in the fall (IMO)

I got ya, but I think the issue is that the starting number is 12 for 2012 and not 16 like it was this year. Assuming 4 or so players leave, which seems to be the case each year, then you only get 16 total vs. the 20 that we should see this year. 2012 will truly be a very small class, 2010 is looking like it will only be 1-2 players smaller than normal.

I got ya, but I think the issue is that the starting number is 12 for 2012 and not 16 like it was this year. Assuming 4 or so players leave, which seems to be the case each year, then you only get 16 total vs. the 20 that we should see this year. 2012 will truly be a very small class, 2010 is looking like it will only be 1-2 players smaller than normal.

The other idea is to try to balance it out next year and take 3-4 less players than we have scholly's. I'm not a recruiting expert or know this team like Bo does, but thats another thought.