Scholarship Crunch for 2012?

Once again, if Heard is for real, Mendoza and/or Okafor will proably bolt..... Can you see all the QBs hangin around? Plus Kreikemier is coming off of two surgeries, and more of these guys will be put on medicals...

furthermore, what about Ward.....would he stay to sit behind Helu, Burkhead, Heard, Robinson......at least 2 backs will not be here in the fall (IMO)

I got ya, but I think the issue is that the starting number is 12 for 2012 and not 16 like it was this year. Assuming 4 or so players leave, which seems to be the case each year, then you only get 16 total vs. the 20 that we should see this year. 2012 will truly be a very small class, 2010 is looking like it will only be 1-2 players smaller than normal.

The other idea is to try to balance it out next year and take 3-4 less players than we have scholly's. I'm not a recruiting expert or know this team like Bo does, but thats another thought.

I was thinking that also, I think that will depend on how many great recruits want to jump on board next year. If they want to come and they are great prospects then I don't think you pass on talent. The other option I thought of would be to take 4-5 JUCO's but that wouldn't help in 2012 and 2013 looks to be ok for available scholarships so I that wouldn't really work to fix 2012.

There will be attrition.

Cave, HUSKERNOKC- What do I always say? :)

Dont underestimate the staff. Bo knows what he is doing.

Cheers

Bo may know what he is doing, but fixing this issue will be a big challenge and is a direct result of Cally relying on JUCO's way too much. Out of 27 signees in 2007, 6 were JUCO's by my count.

There will be attrition.

Cheers

Bo may know what he is doing, but fixing this issue will be a big challenge and is a direct result of Cally relying on JUCO's way too much. Out of 27 signees in 2007, 6 were JUCO's by my count.

You must also remember that 25 scholly's per year is a video game thing. 85 scholly's spread evenly over 4 classes is 21 per year. Throw in a red-shirt class (cause you're always going to have red-shirts) and your down to 17 annnually. Throw in JUCO's who are 2-3 year contributors + attrition and you're always going to have a wide range for the number of recruits. While we all think (or thanks to recruiting sites, want) we should get 20-25 players each year, it will just never happen. This isn't a direct post to you Cave, just food for thought.

Cally had a bad habit of over signing and signing a lot of academic casualties. As you pointed he also went JUCO heavy a couple years out of necessity.

There will be attrition.

Cheers

You must also remember that 25 scholly's per year is a video game thing. 85 scholly's spread evenly over 4 classes is 21 per year. Throw in a red-shirt class (cause you're always going to have red-shirts) and your down to 17 annnually. Throw in JUCO's who are 2-3 year contributors + attrition and you're always going to have a wide range for the number of recruits. While we all think (or thanks to recruiting sites, want) we should get 20-25 players each year, it will just never happen. This isn't a direct post to you Cave, just food for thought.

Cally had a bad habit of over signing and signing a lot of academic casualties. As you pointed he also went JUCO heavy a couple years out of necessity.

Yeah 25 per year, every year isn't possible since that makes 15 more than the 85 total limit. However getting 20+ each year should be expected and I would say is the norm. If you average the class sizes over the last 8 years, info per rivals, the average class size is just over 23 per year. There were only two classes in 8 below 20, 19 recruits in 2003 and 18 currently for 2010. 2010 could be 20 strong when it is all said and done so that would mean only 1 class in 8 were under 20. Those 8 classes include 1 Solich Class, 4 Callahan Classes, and 3 Pelini Classes.

There will be attrition.

Cheers

it is also a result of cally being cavalier with redshirts (more than a couple seniors next year should by all rights be redshirt juniors) and then bo coming in and redshirting most of the following class (who would be juniors next year if they hadn't redshirted).

I don't see a problem. You always have underclassmen contributing. If Bo has a small senior class he'll play more juniors and sophomores. If he gets the recruits he wants he won't be worried about playing younger guys. Not to mention every school has reloading years they go through.

i agree. i don't see a real problem, though it is interesting to note. additionally, there will certainly be attrition over the next two years that creates additional scholarship openings, there always is (injuries, lack of playing time, arrests, homesickness, going pro early, etc.).

I don't see a problem. You always have underclassmen contributing. If Bo has a small senior class he'll play more juniors and sophomores. If he gets the recruits he wants he won't be worried about playing younger guys. Not to mention every school has reloading years they go through.

i agree. i don't see a real problem, though it is interesting to note. additionally, there will certainly be attrition over the next two years that creates additional scholarship openings, there always is (injuries, lack of playing time, arrests, homesickness, going pro early, etc.).

Florida only took 16 last year. In 2007, Ohio State only took 15. We'll be fine regardless of class size in 2012.