2011 BCS - Nebraska vs Iowa

cmb23

I joined, living in Iowa and surrounded by Hawk fans I think this would make a fun discussion for awhile. If you look at the 2000-2009 Iowa has been a solid program regardless of Big 10 competition, Ferentz is probably one of the more solid coaches out there, and seeing on how he has not been lured away to something bigger, his consistency at Iowa will keep them around for awhile. As much as I can't stand them it should be fun!

Like posters said above, it's ridiculous that these two teams don't face-off on a more regular basis. I have always thought very highly the our Corn brothers to the east and would love to this become a friendly rivalry.

Someone call TO and get him to work. Phones still works in blizzards, right???

Speaking of blizzards...check out this pic from my office in the Sears Tower (now Willis Tower). 84th floor....

post-5881-1262891539.jpg

So someone in the group said that Iowa would make it to the game but not Nebraska because Nebraska's offense sucks. So I did a little research for him on the offenses...and defenses...and special teams.

Doesn't look like one is any more dominant than the other (if anything NU gets the edge stats wise). I know you have to play the game and it isn't decided on paper...but the argument that Iowa is just better is an opinion....not fact. All rankings from NCAA.org:

Defense

Scoring Defense: Iowa # 9 (15.38 ppg) / Nebraska #1 (10.43 ppg)

Rushing Defense: Iowa #34 (123.62 ypg) / Nebraska #9 (93.14 ypg)

Passing Defense: Iowa #4 (152.92 ypg) / Nebraska #18 (178.86 ypg)

Total Defense: Iowa #10 (276.54 ypg) / Nebraska #7 (272.00 ypg)

Pass Efficiency: Iowa #3 (89.99 eff) .../ Nebraska #1 (87.28 eff)

Tackles for Loss: Iowa #59 (5.69 per gm) / Nebraska #28 (6.64 per gm)

Sacks: Iowa #32 (2.38 per gm) / Nebraska #2 (3.14 per gm)

Special Teams

Punt Return Averages: Iowa #78 (7.8 ypr) / Nebraska #30 (11.59 ypr)

Kick Return Averages: Iowa #38 (22.95 ypr) / Nebraska # 20 (24.09 ypr)

Turnover Margin: Iowa #51 (30 gained - 28 lost = .15 avg) / Nebraska #33 (28 gained - 23 lost = .36 avg)

Comparing the offenses

Scoring: Iowa #86 (23.15 ppg) / Nebraska #75 (25.14 ppg)

Passing: Iowa #55 (222.08 ypg) / Nebraska #101 (175.71 ypg)

Rushing: Iowa #99 (114.23 ypg) / Nebraska #62 (147.07 ypg)

Total: Iowa #89 (336.31 ypg) / Nebraska #99 (322.79 ypg)

As a Husker living in Des Moines, I would LOVE to see this matchup. I've taken a lot of verbal abuse from cocky Hawk fans, especially during the Callahan years and the Iowa State implosion this year.

An annual "border war" of sorts would be good press......The battle for the Corn-Hawk trophy!

The thing that will throw a wrench in this is IOWA will have to beat Ohio State and after there performance I don't think so.

Also the team that won the NC last night has a lot returning on offense and has had the top two recruiting class in the past 3 years. Don't expect them to fall off to far. Toughest game next season in conference looks like Tenn and LSU. They play FL next year but they will have some work to do.

KEY LOSSES

OFFENSE:

Roy Upchurch-RB(still have Ingram and the freshmen Richardson), Colin Peek-TE (51 catches in 4 years), Mike Johnson-OG - 4 year Letterman, Drew Davis-OT - 2 year Letterman, Leigh Tiffin-K- 4 year Letterman

DEFENSE:

Lorenzo Washington-DE - 4 year Letterman, Terrence Cody-NT - 2 year Letterman, Brandon Deaderick-DE - 4 year Letterman, Cory Reamer-SLB - 3 year Letterman, Eryk Anders-JACK - 3 year Letterman, Javier Arenas-CB - 4 year Letterman(huge lose), Marquis Johnson-CB (backup), Justin Woodall-FS - 4 year Letterman, P.J. Fitzgerald-P - 4 year Letterman

Likely lose Rolando McClain and Kareem Jackson to the NFL.

I agree that as a National Championship game, this wouldn't be good at all, because there would be extremely low interest nationally.

However, if this became a yearly non-conference matchup, I would LOVE it. These teams need to play.

Putting them on the schedule once every decade is enough.

Have it a yearly contest would do nothing for Nebraska other then bragging rights. (No matter how much you beat them or by how many they still wouldn't shutup) Everyone else in the Nation would see it as Nebraska getting a easy win. <_<

The thing that will throw a wrench in this is IOWA will have to beat Ohio State and after there performance I don't think so.

Also the team that won the NC last night has a lot returning on offense and has had the top two recruiting class in the past 3 years. Don't expect them to fall off to far. Toughest game next season in conference looks like Tenn and LSU. They play FL next year but they will have some work to do.

KEY LOSSES

OFFENSE:

Roy Upchurch-RB(still have Ingram and the freshmen Richardson), Colin Peek-TE (51 catches in 4 years), Mike Johnson-OG - 4 year Letterman, Drew Davis-OT - 2 year Letterman, Leigh Tiffin-K- 4 year Letterman

DEFENSE:

Lorenzo Washington-DE - 4 year Letterman, Terrence Cody-NT - 2 year Letterman, Brandon Deaderick-DE - 4 year Letterman, Cory Reamer-SLB - 3 year Letterman, Eryk Anders-JACK - 3 year Letterman, Javier Arenas-CB - 4 year Letterman(huge lose), Marquis Johnson-CB (backup), Justin Woodall-FS - 4 year Letterman, P.J. Fitzgerald-P - 4 year Letterman

Likely lose Rolando McClain and Kareem Jackson to the NFL.

Gotta go through PSU and Auburn too (both at home). 'Bama might have the hottest ticket home schedule next season w/notable games against Penn State, Florida, Ole Miss, Miss State, and Auburn.

I agree that as a National Championship game, this wouldn't be good at all, because there would be extremely low interest nationally.

However, if this became a yearly non-conference matchup, I would LOVE it. These teams need to play.

Putting them on the schedule once every decade is enough.

Have it a yearly contest would do nothing for Nebraska other then bragging rights. (No matter how much you beat them or by how many they still wouldn't shutup) Everyone else in the Nation would see it as Nebraska getting a easy win. <_<

I think that some Husker fans are underestimating what the country thinks about Iowa, who has finished pretty well the last decade...and Nebraska the same years:

2000 - Unranked (Nebraska #8)

2001 - Unranked (Nebraska #8)

2002 - #8 (Neb Unranked)

2003 - #8 (Neb #19)

2004 - #8 (Neb Unranked)

2005 - 'Others Receiving Votes' (Neb #24)

2006 - Unranked (Neb 'Receiving Votes')

2007 - BOTH UNRANKED

2008 - #20 (Neb 'Receiving votes'

2009 - #7 (Neb #14)

Also...whether you think the conference or teams are overrated, Iowa has beaten perennial top 20 Penn State the last 6 years. National appeal may be one thing...but it would be a huge non-conference game.

Image I made for the page just screwing around for a few minutes this afternoon...

20574_241176291743_501491743_3833033_5883741_n.jpg

dude does anyone else see whats messed up about this picture?

Nike gloves, lol... you should have found one with Adidas gloves in it. lol goos sh*t though brother.

Also...if you didn't see the laces...you'd swear that was a crystal ear of corn!!!

• 3 weeks later...