Anybody know a guy named Scott Montgomery?

knapplc

As a loyal Husker fan relocated to Tucson several years ago, I completely enjoyed the Huskers' domination of Arizona in the Holiday Bowl in person. When viewing the game on my DVR, I heard several comments about the Huskers being a top 10 team next year. I am sure the defense will be fine with Crick and Co. continuing where Suh left off, but the offense never clicked all year like it did in San Diego. Do you think it was the rest and ability to get healthy or the inept Arizona defense that made the Huskers look so good?

-- Scott Montgomery, Tucson, Ariz.

I'm sure there will be many articles written in Nebraska over the next eight months about the Huskers' offense looking to carry over its momentum from the bowl game, but that's being simplistic. You don't fix an utterly inept offense in one game. All of the factors Scott listed, plus some new wrinkles the coaches put in (the Wildcat; more designed runs for Zac Lee) probably played a factor in their performance. But the Huskers still need an influx of talent and/or significant improvement at the quarterback position next season if they hope to maintain that type of productivity for 12 games.

Having said that, I don't disagree that Nebraska could be a top 10 team next season, for the simple reason that they weren't that far off from it this year. The Huskers fielded one of the most dominant defenses in the country. If Tyrod Taylor doesn't complete a miraculous last-second heave in Blacksburg or the offense commits, say, half of those eight turnovers against Iowa State -- and certainly if they'd finished the job against Texas -- they'd be sitting in the top 10 right now. While Suh will leave an enormous void, I would expect we'll see Bo Pelini fielding high-caliber defenses on a regular basis going forward. Now he's just got to get the offense up to speed.

I have a question..why are you interested knapplc? Just for kicks and giggles or some other reason?

Because I figured there would be a tiny chance that he was a member here and we could give him props for having his Husker question answered.

If you're wondering whether that's me, it's not. Stewart has answered my questions before about the Huskers, and that's not my name. ;)

I have a question..why are you interested knapplc? Just for kicks and giggles or some other reason?

Because I figured there would be a tiny chance that he was a member here and we could give him props for having his Husker question answered.

If you're wondering whether that's me, it's not. Stewart has answered my questions before about the Huskers, and that's not my name. ;)

That wasn't if Bo Pelini was a tree what kind of tree would he be? <_<