Final USA Today Coaches Poll

Nexus

Boise State's head is too big. They play in a overall crap conference, have won a BCS nailbiter against a down Oklahoma, beat TCU in the suck bowl...and then they not only want a million bucks for one game, they pile on the media heat calling these team out for being scared to play them... Theyre like the skinny loudmouth standing behind their big friend taunting and saying "yeah, you better hold me back." Take some notes from a real coach and program, Bobby Bowden, and back it up when you say you will play anyone, anywhere, and forget the money. Do that for awhile, 5-6 years, and somehow keep winning, then maybe you can ask for outrageous sums of money and not get laughed out the door.

I think it's safe to say the decision whether or not to schedule Boise St. came from the top as I'm pretty sure Pelini, all of our coaches and our entire football team would most definitely not back down from playing them anywhere or anytime.

Soooo...

T.O.?

You're asking me? Certainly not our head coach I'm pretty sure of that.

I think it's safe to say the decision whether or not to schedule Boise St. came from the top as I'm pretty sure Pelini, all of our coaches and our entire football team would most definitely not back down from playing them anywhere or anytime.

Soooo...

T.O.?

Tom's the AD now..

How about Harvey Pearlman?

Soooo...

T.O.?

Tom's the AD now..

How about Harvey Pearlman?

I think you should e mail them.

I don't think some of you understand the way scheduling works. When you schedule with a major football program, you generally schedule a home and home series, so each school gets the multi-million dollar revenue boost that comes with a home game. Occasionally, whether it be a lowly program (think Sun Belt) or a situation where there is a need to find someone quickly (like Boise 2011), a home and home isn't possible or desirable, so one game is scheduled. The home team (which would be Nebraska in this case) gets the $5 million revenue from having the home game, and in return for not having to repay the favor, they pay the visitor a chunk of that. Boise is reportedly requesting 900,000 to 1 million. We gave ULL (55-0) 700,000. People pretending Boise is spoiled for requesting a small upgrade from a Sun Belt payout are being silly. If anyone is being spoiled it's Nebraska, who expects three out of four OOC games each year to be at home, thus racking up roughly $15 million dollars in revenue in September.

This has nothing to do with money. With a game against a Sun Belt team, we make roughly $5,000,000 - 700,000 = $4,300,000. Against Boise, we would make 5,000,000 - 1,000,000 = $4,000,000. The difference is essentially negligible. This has everything to do with wanting a guaranteed win to start the season, instead of an actual challenge.

14th is a great place for NU - especially when you add the Iowa State loss into the mix. Winning that game would have put them in the 10 I think.

Since Iowa state went to a bowl game and won, it doesnt look as bad as it could.

But one more win would have def put us in the top ten

i do respect ISU, and i'm not exactly disagreeing with you, but Minn. would be dead last in the Big XII. Minn. should have lost to South Dakota State (they only won by a field goal).

Minnesota is not a great team but SDSU is a better team than UMass. UMass lost to Kansas State by four, so with my unlogic Minn=KSU. KSU tied for second in the north this year, so Minnesota could possibly have finished that high themselves. When you step back and squint at it real hard that bowl win wasn't too bad a win for ISU. (of course any bowl win is a good bowl win for ISU)

that's very true, the transitive property can be dangerous logic when ranking football teams. the big XII north made no sense this year. who knows what would have happened with Minn. in the mix, and it was a good win for ISU. really in bowls, you just have to win.

I don't think some of you understand the way scheduling works. When you schedule with a major football program, you generally schedule a home and home series, so each school gets the multi-million dollar revenue boost that comes with a home game. Occasionally, whether it be a lowly program (think Sun Belt) or a situation where there is a need to find someone quickly (like Boise 2011), a home and home isn't possible or desirable, so one game is scheduled. The home team (which would be Nebraska in this case) gets the $5 million revenue from having the home game, and in return for not having to repay the favor, they pay the visitor a chunk of that. Boise is reportedly requesting 900,000 to 1 million. We gave ULL (55-0) 700,000. People pretending Boise is spoiled for requesting a small upgrade from a Sun Belt payout are being silly. If anyone is being spoiled it's Nebraska, who expects three out of four OOC games each year to be at home, thus racking up roughly $15 million dollars in revenue in September.

This has nothing to do with money. With a game against a Sun Belt team, we make roughly $5,000,000 - 700,000 = $4,300,000. Against Boise, we would make 5,000,000 - 1,000,000 = $4,000,000. The difference is essentially negligible. This has everything to do with wanting a guaranteed win to start the season, instead of an actual challenge.

:yeah

The logic that BSU shouldn't get a payout if they're a major college program is true...as long as we schedule it as a home-and-home so each team gets a share of the revenue. When we only play a team in Lincoln, we always give them pretty good chunk of change for coming. BSU asking for $1 million is really not that unreasonable relative to what we pay the other OOC teams when you consider the quality of the opponent.