Is Bo NFL material.....???

Apathy

There is a huge difference between being a HC in college as opposed to the NFL.

Which role do you think Bo prefers?

The key to success in college is recruiting. The most successful college coaches are the ones who have to ability to sell their program to young players (and their mothers!). On a college team you are coaching boys that you recruited out of high school, boys who know they can be sent home on a moment's notice dashing all hope of a future in any kind of football. In college, you play the better athlete in their prospective positions. A college coach has complete autonomy of his program.

At the NFL level, someone else is making the personnel decisions. The HC makes recommendations, but it is completely someone else's decision on who stays, who goes, and what they are to be paid. Strategy and motivating overpaid, egotistical athletes are the roles a HC plays in the NFL. Gaining the respect of forty or so grown men on a pro team and molding them into a team that will bust through walls for you requires a charisma that few coaches possess. Knowing how to motivate each player individually requires years of experience in the company of men. In the NFL, not always does the better athlete play their prospective position. The size of the paycheck many times factors in who starts and who sits.

Bo has already said in direct quotes that this is his dream job, and he wants to finish his career here. His family has already deeply engrained themselves in Lincoln and Nebraska. He has a deep love and passion for the sport, so that in itself is enough to say he couldnt find a better fit anywhere where he could share the passion with the fanbase. He's not going anywhere anytime soon, if ever. This may be one subject we need to put to rest along with the Carl rumors. JMO.

:yeah

He's not like Callahan who bought some ridiculous house in the middle of nowhere, made no social contact, and was just here for money...

His family is a normal family... with the most avid supporters in america.

He actually cares about what his children and wife think and what they are going to do on Friday night as opposed to Callahan just sitting on his bottom making money.

Hey now, Callahan just had a different personality. He wasn't here for the money and he also said that he wanted to finish his career here. Additionally, he also set up and ran some pretty cool community outreach activities while he was here, if I remember.

I have a problem with how BC handled the meltdown in 2007. I thought he was not fit as a HC. But as a person? Nothing wrong with him. Can't we agree that he was a bad head coach, but a good person? I don't understand why the sentiment against him has to be so far reaching as to include every aspect of his personality.

Bo has already said in direct quotes that this is his dream job, and he wants to finish his career here. His family has already deeply engrained themselves in Lincoln and Nebraska. He has a deep love and passion for the sport, so that in itself is enough to say he couldnt find a better fit anywhere where he could share the passion with the fanbase. He's not going anywhere anytime soon, if ever. This may be one subject we need to put to rest along with the Carl rumors. JMO.

:yeah

He's not like Callahan who bought some ridiculous house in the middle of nowhere, made no social contact, and was just here for money...

His family is a normal family... with the most avid supporters in america.

He actually cares about what his children and wife think and what they are going to do on Friday night as opposed to Callahan just sitting on his bottom making money.

Hey now, Callahan just had a different personality. He wasn't here for the money and he also said that he wanted to finish his career here. Additionally, he also set up and ran some pretty cool community outreach activities while he was here, if I remember.

I have a problem with how BC handled the meltdown in 2007. I thought he was not fit as a HC. But as a person? Nothing wrong with him. Can't we agree that he was a bad head coach, but a good person? I don't understand why the sentiment against him has to be so far reaching as to include every aspect of his personality.

didn't mean to be really harsh just saying that they have two very different lifestyles and that Bo's seems to work better in Lincoln, Nebraska. Also do you remember the "closed door policy"? Bo's are open. Just a fundamental difference.

Agreed about the 2007 meltdown though.

He basically said it was the kids' fault for underperforming and that is never acceptable.

yeah, and I can see how Bo's personality is more workable/acceptable by people in Nebraska...so no argument there. I just wanted to make the point that it's not like BC had a really /bad/ personality...maybe it didn't fit, but it wasn't all that bad.

Anyway, sorry for getting a little offtopic.

bo is too animated and intense to be a pro coach. NFL coaches are calm usually. look at all the most successful coaches. i see pelini as a saban-type coach. saban had no success i dont think pelini would either... thank god

To add to this...I don't know if Bo could deal with some of the truck sized egos in the NFL. When a rift develops between a coach and a player in the NFL, the management very rarely has the back of the HC.

I'm still not sure we've seen enough evidence that Bo would make a good College head coach.

Ro me, He still seems more of a natural fit as a great DC...I really really think he can grow into the job, but this topic seems a little premature. :dunno

I also never thought Caroll would bolt from USC, but with the posible impending sanctions..More understandable.

Do NFL coaches ever last more than 5-6 years at any one place anymore?

My dad coached football for 25 or so years and was always 'looking' for a better job, but he wasnt looking because he wasn't necessarily content to be exactly where he was.

there was no 'dream job'...it was more of the Administration, the Boosters, the Recruiting Prowess, etc...

Not comparing everyone to everyone, but Pelini's got it pretty sweet based on what I know of a college coach and where he maybe would want to be....take it for what's it's worth

bo is too animated and intense to be a pro coach. NFL coaches are calm usually. look at all the most successful coaches. i see pelini as a saban-type coach. saban had no success i dont think pelini would either... thank god

I think Bo could coach in the NFL, Rex Ryan is pretty animated. Plus I don't think the money argument is valid. Say your at your job and happy making 1 million a year but someone comes in to offer you 4 million you may not take it but you will probably interview and talk about doing it. Plus its not like if it doesn't work out he can't come back to college.

Nope, no chance. Bo's temperament isn't going to sit well with players or owners, his scheme only works in college, he doesn't own a nice suit, and he just plain isn't good enough for the big leagues.

Yep, it looks like Pelini will have to settle for leading one of the finest programs in the history of football to conference and national championships in college rather than the NFL. How terrible!

pretty sure he was already in the nfl and did pretty well and from what i hear the players in the nfl loved pelini and he was one of rare cases of when he left the players missed him

:sarcasm

Some coaches who have done great at the college ranks just never have their name come up with regards to coaching in the pros. TO was one of these coaches. I believe Bob Stoops is another one. I don't foresee Bo ever being a head coach in the NFL either. Coaching college football is easier because you as coach get to go out and recruit the talent you want for your team. In the pros, you are handicapped by the owner, gm, etc. You have to play with the pieces they give you rather than getting your own.