Nebraska Cornhuskers Club in Bhagdad?

Watching a local tv channel in OKC and their special guest is Barry Switzer. They're talking to him about his recent trip to Bhagdad with some former football players and the "Bowl" Game they played there. He mentioned there is an Oklahoma Sooners Bhagdad Club as well a Nebraska club. Does anyone know of this club? Thought it might be cool if Huskerboard would chip in every once in a while and send them guys some stuff.

Watching a local tv channel in OKC and their special guest is Barry Switzer. They're talking to him about his recent trip to Bhagdad with some former football players and the "Bowl" Game they played there. He mentioned there is an Oklahoma Sooners Bhagdad Club as well a Nebraska club. Does anyone know of this club? Thought it might be cool if Huskerboard would chip in every once in a while and send them guys some stuff.

an I can't even get one started in Louisiana.

THis is seriously a cool thing, what could be send them? Maybe a DVD of every game this season? Or dvd's of classic games? I would donate $20 if something could be worked out.

I don't know of the club, but I'd be willing to swipe the plastic to put in a kitty to send some stuff over.

We had a "club' both times i was in Afghanistan. Ive seen them for fans of many teams...in my case it was Nebraska fans gathering from all branches whenever there was a Husker game broadcast on AFN, like a watch site at a bar. Didnt actually have our own clubhouse per se, just the rec tent or wherever we could gather to watch the game. Someone always had a Husker flag it seemed, most had a Husker shirt or hat, and everyone would chip in with snacks and food. It was the same for fans of other big programs. It was fun just to get together with people that shared a common joy, made it feel like home.

Best bet is that someone there now sees this thread and they can help you get the contact stuff sorted out. So keep yer fingers crossed.

i wish i could help but i wasnt in baghdad. im gonna try and get an afghanistan huskers club started when i head overseas again. ill let you know how it turns out

First off thank you for your service. Secondly please keep us updated as I would be willing to pitch in to help either an afghanistan or a baghdad husker club.

Edit: when I say either I mean I would support both not one or the other

We had a "club' both times i was in Afghanistan. Ive seen them for fans of many teams...in my case it was Nebraska fans gathering from all branches whenever there was a Husker game broadcast on AFN, like a watch site at a bar. Didnt actually have our own clubhouse per se, just the rec tent or wherever we could gather to watch the game. Someone always had a Husker flag it seemed, most had a Husker shirt or hat, and everyone would chip in with snacks and food. It was the same for fans of other big programs. It was fun just to get together with people that shared a common joy, made it feel like home.

Best bet is that someone there now sees this thread and they can help you get the contact stuff sorted out. So keep yer fingers crossed.

I would love to contribute! But what is needed: clothes, flags, dvds. books, etc we will make it happen!

I would be willing to help out

Actually the Huskers had many clubs all over Iraq when I was there and even in Kuwait. I remember going around on the COB I was stationed at it was not unusual to see a Red N painted all over the place. In fact we had a big watch party for USC vs. Nebraska game in 2007….it was a complete disappointment but we enjoyed watching a part of the game when the Huskers actually looked like a team for a brief few moments.

Actually the Huskers had many clubs all over Iraq when I was there and even in Kuwait. I remember going around on the COB I was stationed at it was not unusual to see a Red N painted all over the place. In fact we had a big watch party for USC vs. Nebraska game in 2007….it was a complete disappointment but we enjoyed watching a part of the game when the Huskers actually looked like a team for a brief few moments.

If you still have a way of getting in touch with some guys over there, let me/us know. I know they rotate in and out regularly, but nonetheless, it'd be cool for Huskerboard to say "Thanks!"