DE Brennan Scarlett

Nexus

Scout says that Brennan is up to 18 offers and was recently offered a spot in the 2011 US Army All American Bowl.

Portland DL now has 18 offers

Brennan Scarlett, a 6-foot-4, 245-pound defensive lineman from Central Catholic High School in Portland, Ore. has been extended an offer to play in the 2011 U.S. Army All-American Bowl, according to Central Catholic HC Steve Pyne. It's not the only news for Scarlett, who has also racked up some serious offers, including a big one on Thursday.

"USC offered him yesterday," Pyne said Friday afternoon.

That brings Scarlett's scholarship count to 18. He's been offered by everyone in the Pac-10 minus Washington State, as well as BYU, Idaho, Boise State, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Notre Dame, LSU, Colorado and Texas Tech.

According to Pyne, even though Scarlett has so many attractive scholarship options, he's nowhere close to making a cut, let alone a final decision.

He is going to start taking some trips soon. He plans to hop in the car and drive from Stanford to Cal. He also just got offered by USC and it was a huge offer for him.

He also might try to see Notre Dame, Nebraska, and Oklahoma before his senior year starts. Nothing has been set though. Nothing mentioned about favorites either.

Would love to hear his thoughts on that USC offer after-the-fact.

• 2 weeks later...

The USC offer was huge for Brennan. He doesn't have a clear favorite but I think he favors most of the schools in the Cali area. He has visited UCLA and USC and he really likes USC's campus because it has that small school feeling and he likes that smaller class feeling. Will plan to visit Stanford and said that there may be a chance that he could visit Nebraska.

The sanctions going on with USC right now will not affect his decision

Bogus. These kids need to get as far away from the blacklisted place as possible. I don't care if they have to play at the University of Juneau for crying out loud. ;)

That, of course, is a bit of a stretch. But I personally would not want to play in a school where I know for sure I cannot play in the postseason for two years. It's partially because I'm a midwest homer, yeah, but it would still suck. But I could see why these kids would want to stay closer to home and play for the local powers. I was really hoping the Suh-Portland connection would help with Brennan, and continue to hold out hope. Kid seems like a stud. Let's hope we can convince him to come for a gameday.

The USC offer was huge for Brennan. He doesn't have a clear favorite but I think he favors most of the schools in the Cali area. He has visited UCLA and USC and he really likes USC's campus because it has that small school next to the hood feeling and he likes that smaller class feeling. Will plan to visit Stanford and said that there may be a chance that he could visit Nebraska.

The sanctions going on with USC right now will not affect his decision

That sounds a little bit better. :)

Bogus. These kids need to get as far away from the blacklisted place as possible. I don't care if they have to play at the University of Juneau for crying out loud. ;)

That, of course, is a bit of a stretch. But I personally would not want to play in a school where I know for sure I cannot play in the postseason for two years. It's partially because I'm a midwest homer, yeah, but it would still suck. But I could see why these kids would want to stay closer to home and play for the local powers. I was really hoping the Suh-Portland connection would help with Brennan, and continue to hold out hope. Kid seems like a stud. Let's hope we can convince him to come for a gameday.

Realistically, the post-season ban won't even affect the 2011 recruiting class. 1 year will be the 2010 season which they won't see, the 2nd year will be the 2011 season which they'll either be redshirting for, or riding the bench for.

The only affect it will have on a recruit is if they think the 30 scholarships will impact the school enough to put them in a down period for the next 3-6 years (which I personally think it will to an extent, but they'll still win 9-10 games).

Now...had the NCAA actually done something sooner, like back in February when they held the hearings...this would have had a much bigger impact. Henderson wouldn't be there, probably half a dozen other kids would have jumped ship before signing day, and USC would have ACTUALLY been punished. This is just a slap on the wrist for a school whose 3 deep is better than 90% of the nations starters.

Realistically, the post-season ban won't even affect the 2011 recruiting class. 1 year will be the 2010 season which they won't see, the 2nd year will be the 2011 season which they'll either be redshirting for, or riding the bench for.

The only affect it will have on a recruit is if they think the 30 scholarships will impact the school enough to put them in a down period for the next 3-6 years (which I personally think it will to an extent, but they'll still win 9-10 games).

Now...had the NCAA actually done something sooner, like back in February when they held the hearings...this would have had a much bigger impact. Henderson wouldn't be there, probably half a dozen other kids would have jumped ship before signing day, and USC would have ACTUALLY been punished. This is just a slap on the wrist for a school whose 3 deep is better than 90% of the nations starters.

This is a really good post. Also, lets face it, most of us dont look that far into the future and most 17 year old kids are not going to look 4 or 5 or 6 years into the future either.

Well, if it's 30 scholarships, that's a 35% disadvantage compared to most other schools. I think saying 'they'll still win 9-10' games is a pretty big stretch. This is the kind of thing that could really hurt a program and it'll be fairly amazing for them to continue a bowl streak through it, IMO.

• 2 months later...

• 3 weeks later...