Rushing The Passer

We won't know for a while how next year's D holds up. But in my opinion it will be harder without Suh to get a solid pass rush. So, if that is the case I have a few thoughts on ways to get to the QB. You guys might not agree on any of them, but I would love to hear your input.

All of these scenarios are for obvious passing downs and 3rd and 5+.

1. Slide Meredith down to DT and put Ankrah at the DE. This would allow us to have 3 DE's on the field, which gives Bo more flexibility with stunting and so forth. Also I feel that Meredith is big enough to hold his own in this situation. The main reason though is I feel that Ankrah and Allen are move of your prototypical "pass rusher".

2. Line up Eric Martin/Lavonte David up at DE. When we go to the Dime there will only be one LB on the field. Most likely IMO that will be Martin if he can pick up the schemes fast enough. David is very quick and would be VERY hard for bigger OT to get down to his level to block. Lining him up there would also allow him to drop back in a zone blitz scheme.

3. Line up in the 5-2. line up like this Allen - Crick- Stein- Meredith- Ankrah. We did a little of this during this past year. I think that all 5 of these guys are going to get nearly 90% of the reps this year. So putting all 5 of them together could be devastating. This would also mean that they could not be doubled by 2 lineman.

Just some ideas. I know they all have flaws, but I love when defenses mix it up to keep the opposing QB off-balance.

All three of those sounds like some pretty good ideas. Even if we use a different linebacker to go to the front four, just one that has a knack for rushing the passer from an end position. I also look for Bo to get even more creative with his pass rush ideas. Last year, he had the luxury of just rushing four a lot of times due to having the greatest college football player as a DT. I think we will see a lot of stunts and even some zone blitzing next year as well.

Great thoughts. We were able to play great coverage this year becasue we got pressure with 4, sometimes 5 without blitzing. It will be very telling next year with more teams running right at us, to see if Bo and Carl send the dogs on 3rd and long. I read where we blitzed 2 times against Zona...on the last 2 plays to keep the shut out. If our D line can do that again next year, our secondary will look even better.

If we can't get consistent pressure from the front four I guess we won't see much of the 4-7 half dollar defense this year. We could still use it and blitz a corner or something but it's effectiveness will decrease if we blitz from it. Bo and Carl are very good at knowing the strengths of their defensive players and adjusting the playbook too use their talent to the fullest.

Some of these ideas are good in theory to get speed and athleticism on the field, but teams will then be able to run right up the gut. Meredith is not tiny, but he would not generate much of a push in the middle and teams would most likely run right at him. He would be the smallest DT in the Big 12, I believe.

OP

but teams will then be able to run right up the gut. Meredith is not tiny, but he would not generate much of a push in the middle and teams would most likely run right at him. He would be the smallest DT in the Big 12, I believe.

If teams try to run the ball right up the gut on 3rd and long. Ill take that every time.

OP

but teams will then be able to run right up the gut. Meredith is not tiny, but he would not generate much of a push in the middle and teams would most likely run right at him. He would be the smallest DT in the Big 12, I believe.

If teams try to run the ball right up the gut on 3rd and long. Ill take that every time.

I agree. Missed where you said 3rd and 5+. Makes sense.

How does a pass rush work with 5 down lineman? It seems to me that you would always have the dline running into each other when they try and get through the gaps.

fyi: never played football so I have no idea about this

A five man pass rush with five lineman is a little tougher because spacing is a key to rushing the passer. However, it also limits double team opportunities for the offense unless they keep in a back or tight end to pass protect.

How does a pass rush work with 5 down lineman? It seems to me that you would always have the dline running into each other when they try and get through the gaps.

fyi: never played football so I have no idea about this

Well...

If you have 5 ol and 5 dl:

X___X___X___X___X

__O__O__O__O__O

The X's are the defense and the O's are offense. With a base defense, your defensive ends will be keeping contain, so they would typically be rushing the passer from the outside. The noseguard would basically pick either the 1 or 2 holes (between the center & guard gaps) to rush, and most likely, the DT's would attack the 3 and 4 holes (between the guards and tackles), depending on their respective sides.

With blitzing and stunting, they make take different holes to rush than I just mentioned, but pretty much someone's going to always have contain, although it may be a linebacker. So if there were 5 men down, and a 5 man rush, there are 6 holes for them to hit, including the outside of the tackles.

I hope that makes sense.

There should be little, to zero amount of concern at the lack of pass rush for 2010. As a previous post said, Bo didn't dial up too many blitzes this season, and when he did, more often than not it was a successful call.

If you want to doubt our pass rush for 2010 because we lose Ndamukong Suh, simply go to Youtube and watch Laron Landry's or Craig Steltz's highlights at LSU, when Bo was their D coordinator. Some of the safety blitzes that they pull off are truly amazing to see, and these safety blitzes should be expected to be seen more often in 2010.

We won't know for a while how next year's D holds up. But in my opinion it will be harder without Suh to get a solid pass rush. So, if that is the case I have a few thoughts on ways to get to the QB. You guys might not agree on any of them, but I would love to hear your input.

1. Slide Meredith down to DT and put Ankrah at the DE. This would allow us to have 3 DE's on the field, which gives Bo more flexibility with stunting and so forth. Also I feel that Meredith is big enough to hold his own in this situation. The main reason though is I feel that Ankrah and Allen are move of your prototypical "pass rusher".

2. Line up Eric Martin/Lavonte David up at DE. When we go to the Dime there will only be one LB on the field. Most likely IMO that will be Martin if he can pick up the schemes fast enough. David is very quick and would be VERY hard for bigger OT to get down to his level to block. Lining him up there would also allow him to drop back in a zone blitz scheme.

3. Line up in the 5-2. line up like this Allen - Crick- Stein- Meredith- Ankrah. We did a little of this during this past year. I think that all 5 of these guys are going to get nearly 90% of the reps this year. So putting all 5 of them together could be devastating. This would also mean that they could not be doubled by 2 lineman.

Just some ideas. I know they all have flaws, but I love when defenses mix it up to keep the opposing QB off-balance.

I have heard a lot about Thaddeus Randle being a very good pass rusher. Also heard he is the quickest off of the ball out of any of the linemen on the team.