Recruiting Thought

Honestly, I almost couldn't care less if we become an annual top 10 recruiting school or merely land in the top 50...as long as we win. Our 90s teams seemed like they were never highly touted for the recruits compared to other powerhouses. They were known across the nation for their winning, and the systematic & consistent way in which they did so. Above all, I think that's exactly what Bo brings to the table.

The thing that amazes me is ...say Cooper and Owa do commit. What does that say about the staff. We might not have a top 10 class. But we will have a very very good class. Also it will be better IMO than last year. Which shows me that they are starting to really get a feel for what they are doing (Mainly Bo, since he never really did much recruiting before he came here). If somehow we have the class that many of us expect to have next year, our momentum in recruiting will be that of a Top 10 team hopefully every year.

To be good longterm we will have to recruit with the best of the best. Take a quick look at these 10 schools.

1) Bama littered with 4 stars and some 5

2) Florida coaches basically is a walking dead man and he pulls the most 5 stars in the last two weeks.

3) Texas out of 20 recruits about 18 to 19 are 4 stars

4) Oregon even though we may get Owa, he has had several top recruits in to take a look. Seastrunk, D. Baxter etc.

5) USC They have all the tradition and Pete brought them back and Kiffin and company can recruit.

6) Auburn close to signing two of the top 5 backs in the country. Picked up the top QB from Juco ranks and a 5 star to boot.

7) FSU will be a force soon

8) PSU Jo Pa what else do you have to say

9) OU stoops can recruit

10)ND tradition and that golden dome are hard to compete with.

To be great we have to be on par with these guys. If we can't pull 4 and 5 star talent like they can, it will cost us in my opinion.

I think we are well on our way and Bo has overachieved in his first two years. Meaning, that when you win you will attract more and more talent. We are seeing that play out this year.

The thing that amazes me is ...say Cooper and Owa do commit. What does that say about the staff. We might not have a top 10 class. But we will have a very very good class. Also it will be better IMO than last year. Which shows me that they are starting to really get a feel for what they are doing (Mainly Bo, since he never really did much recruiting before he came here). If somehow we have the class that many of us expect to have next year, our momentum in recruiting will be that of a Top 10 team hopefully every year.

To be good longterm we will have to recruit with the best of the best. Take a quick look at these 10 schools.

2) Florida coaches basically is a walking dead man and he pulls the most 5 stars in the last two weeks.

4) Oregon even though we may get Owa, he has had several top recruits in to take a look. Seastrunk, D. Baxter etc.

5) USC They have all the tradition and Pete brought them back and Kiffin and company can recruit.

6) Auburn close to signing two of the top 5 backs in the country. Picked up the top QB from Juco ranks and a 5 star to boot.

9) OU stoops can recruit

To be great we have to be on par with these guys. If we can't pull 4 and 5 star talent like they can, it will cost us in my opinion.

I think we are well on our way and Bo has overachieved in his first two years. Meaning, that when you win you will attract more and more talent. We are seeing that play out this year.

i'm more concerned that the coaches get the players they want than that they get the most stars. if a player like owa has 5 stars, great. if a player like enunwa is completely off the radar, all the better, as there will be less competition.

i've never tried it, but i'm quite certain i could put together a list of players that were three stars or less for every past recruiting year that would be absolutely stocked with talent. obviously, the key is identifying those players.

9) OU stoops can recruit

To be great we have to pick Lincoln up and trailer it down to SEC country, Texas or out to California. All of these teams are either there or get recruits from these areas. PSU is the big dog of the East and ND plays the catholic thing pretty well. We have an advantage over other midwestern schools with our tradition, but we will always be fighting an uphill battle when recruiting. :koolaid2: :koolaid2: :koolaid2:

9) OU stoops can recruit

We have had the discussion before that whenever schools like Florida and USC throw out offers to kids they immediately are given no less than 4 stars.

Hopefully that will begin to happen to Nebraska where the recruiting services trust our coaches so much that they rate them based on "Does he have an NU offer?"

9) OU stoops can recruit

I don't fully agree with you on this, I place a heavier emphasis on Coaching. I think it is important to have good and great talent coming in to work with in order to be elite, but I don't think every program has to do it just like Florida and USC. Everyone likes to say that TO didn't really recruit elite players, in a sense they are right and wrong. They are right because TO wasn't as prolific in the recruiting rankings as the schools you listed above, but he wasn't a slouch either. Usually in the Top 20 and a lot in the Top 15. He didn't hit the Top 10 often, but in the mid 90's he had a couple and those players were what comprised a lot of the late 90's teams that were good enough to win a title, but couldn't fully pull it off. If you look at the average class ranking of the classes before the '95 Title, it was 22 or so. I would classify that '95 team as elite, wouldn't you? I think my point is that I don't think being Top 10 every year is a requirement, nor a valid expectation at NU. We just aren't positioned geographically to pull that off every year I don't think. I would say that having almost all classes in the Top 20 and start having Top 15 finishes will provide enough talent for Bo and Co to mold elite teams IMO. That is what Callahan was on track to do.

9) OU stoops can recruit

I don't fully agree with you on this, I place a heavier emphasis on Coaching. I think it is important to have good and great talent coming in to work with in order to be elite, but I don't think every program has to do it just like Florida and USC. Everyone likes to say that TO didn't really recruit elite players, in a sense they are right and wrong. They are right because TO wasn't as prolific in the recruiting rankings as the schools you listed above, but he wasn't a slouch either. Usually in the Top 20 and a lot in the Top 15. He didn't hit the Top 10 often, but in the mid 90's he had a couple and those players were what comprised a lot of the late 90's teams that were good enough to win a title, but couldn't fully pull it off. If you look at the average class ranking of the classes before the '95 Title, it was 22 or so. I would classify that '95 team as elite, wouldn't you? I think my point is that I don't think being Top 10 every year is a requirement, nor a valid expectation at NU. We just aren't positioned geographically to pull that off every year I don't think. I would say that having almost all classes in the Top 20 and start having Top 15 finishes will provide enough talent for Bo and Co to mold elite teams IMO. That is what Callahan was on track to do.

loltartar.giflaugh2.gif

9) OU stoops can recruit

loltartar.giflaugh2.gif

What I mean is that Callahan was supposed to be all world in recruiting, but it appears that Bo an Co are just as good or are close in recruiting accum. Callahan didn't pull top 10 classes each year, only had 1 actually.