How much do you really like Bo?

Judging from our past as a fanbase under the T.O. regime, I think we'd stick by Bo per your hypothetical question. Here's why:

NU under Dr. Tom

12-13 bowl record

5-12 against our biggest rival Barry Switzer (Oklahoma)

Never lost more than 3 games per season

7 consecutive bowl game losses ('87-'93)

Took 21 years to win a NC

^^ This says a lot about our fanbase in the past and I feel like we'd do the same for Bo too. But under T.O. it didn't always go without criticism. At the end of each season we always found it within ourselves to say "we'll get 'em next year" until we finally got one, 21 years in the making. Therefore I think Bo would be given the same chances that we gave T.O.

We bought into what T.O. was selling us in the same way that we're buying what Bo is selling us today. It goes beyond sheer win-loss numbers. It's about preserving the culture that is Nebraska football. Bo gets it. As fans, we know he gets it, so there's going to be some leeway in those years when things don't pan out as expected.

:yeah Plus, I think it makes a huge difference that it was the great Dr Tom that hired Bo as the HC in the 1st place. If Osborne believes Bo will continue to lead this program in the right direction and hold fast to the Nebraska tradition, I think that goes a long way in the minds & hearts of those who bleed Husker red. We've long been regarded as one of the most loyal fanbases, and I think that loyalty stems from our tradition of hard work and respect, both of which are qualities Bo clearly holds in high regard.

:yeah

I think you have to keep in mind with TO (not until the end of his career), we never played in conference titles like we have now today, where the winner goes on to play for a shot at a national championship. The Big 8 was different from the Big 12. We need to play and win every year in the Big 12 championship game just to have a shot at a title. Will people be mad if were not playing in the Big 12 championship game every year? While in the Big 8 all we had to do was beat oklahoma and maybe colorado every year and we were in. Just throwing that into the dicusssion.

With that said I'd still love our coaching staff if we were still a 9 or 10 win team every year. Bo and Carl are kind of hard to hate, and they know how to surround themselves with talented coaches and individuals.

I wouldn't trade Bo for any coach in the country. He is the epitome of physicality. Hard nosed, rough around the edges - only cares about one thing, football. I know that when our team steps out on the field the other team is in for a beating whether we win or lose - and I love it. He will never go 5-7 and we will play in some big games.

This post is a good example of how I think we shouldn't think. There is no guaruntee that Bo will never go 5-7, he's only been a HC for two years! But anyway, just because he has the personality of our quintessential head coach does not mean he should already be penciled in as our coach for life. I would sure love for that to happen, but if the situation were ever to ever come, results really need to speak louder than popularity.

Overall, my opinion on the topic is basically the same as what you all have stated. I'm pretty content with 10-3 every year as long as the losses are either flukes or toss ups like 3 of our 4 were this year. If we're 10-3ish with some uncompetetive games like in 2003 and Bo's first year, I might have more of a problem.

God himself could take human form and come coach at Nebraska. He could use his powers to make every NU fan in the world fall more in love with him than we are with Bo right now, but if he went 5-7 he would have a hot seat and if he didn't do anything to prove it was a huge fluke, everyone would be calling for his head. I don't think you ever have to worry about Husker Nation liking a coach so much that they overlook losing, it won't happen.

Judging from our past as a fanbase under the T.O. regime, I think we'd stick by Bo per your hypothetical question. Here's why:

NU under Dr. Tom

12-13 bowl record

^^ This says a lot about our fanbase in the past and I feel like we'd do the same for Bo too. But under T.O. it didn't always go without criticism. At the end of each season we always found it within ourselves to say "we'll get 'em next year" until we finally got one, 21 years in the making. Therefore I think Bo would be given the same chances that we gave T.O.

We bought into what T.O. was selling us in the same way that we're buying what Bo is selling us today. It goes beyond sheer win-loss numbers. It's about preserving the culture that is Nebraska football. Bo gets it. As fans, we know he gets it, so there's going to be some leeway in those years when things don't pan out as expected.

times have changed. yes, the callahan years showed us we need to have a coach that preserves what this program stands for, but times have changed. it's all about winning now. the younger generations are all about "what have you done for me lately" (i am a part of this generation, being in my early 20's), i know very few people my age that don't have this mentality. as these generations get older and become donors (this is my first year as a season ticket holder and am now a donor, altho my donation does not amount to much), they will bring that mentality with them. everyone loves bo, but a couple poor seasons can change that quickly

i think Bo himself would be disappointed if that were the case. The better question is what if we have another two years of 9-4ish and then a year that is at least a game or two worse?

Honestly though, there will be many, many people questioning whether or not Bo is "the guy" if we don't win 10 regular season games minimum next year. For me personally it is more about everything else surrounding the record. How we are playing, training and whatnot.

Ooooo a good thread sir... a good thread.....

Here's my take, as long as we maintain a winning season every single year, as well as pose a decent chance at a big 12 title and/or national title run we must keep Bo around. Anything below that in my head is reason to make a change. Even if we go 10-3 with no titles for 10 years in a row, I will still be hopeful of a national/big 12 title the following year.

Can we make an "ORDER RESTORED" emoticon?

See Tom Osborne had us in the national spotlight year after year and always in talk with competing for the national title and always maintained a 9+ win season every year.

If Bo maintained a 9+ wins in a season and had us in the national spotlight, Big 12 Championship games and contenders for the National Title every year I could see him being the next coming of Tom Osborne. Would Husker fans be upset if he always had 9+ wins every year and never one a National Championship.....no because it took Tom Osborne 22 seasons until he won the big one.

I think Bo will be here for 10+ years and personally I think that we should stick with a coach to build that stability that this University needs. We had that with Devaney and Osborne and Penn State had it was well as Florida State, Texas, Oklahoma. All of those schools have been great football programs playing in the big games for the past decade because they've had that coach coaching at those Universities for 10+ years . Creating that stability and trust with our coach will get us back into the national spotlight and I think we got that with Bo.

I go along with "most" everything that everyone has said on this question. My observation is whether or not we as fans will welcome his BEHAVIOR as well as a bad record. Alot of the criticism against Osborne was his seemingly non-chalant view on winning and losing.

Many viewed Osborne's vanilla personality as a drawback. Many complained that he wasn't as fiery or competitive as the Bob father. Now we have Bo who is undoubtedly "fiery" :steam but who many view as embarassing to the university with his bursts of profanity and his tirades against officials.

Now, don't get me wrong I love the way that Bo is. I'm just looking at other things than just the win/loss column.

NU under Dr. Tom

12-13 bowl record

:yeah Plus, I think it makes a huge difference that it was the great Dr Tom that hired Bo as the HC in the 1st place. If Osborne believes Bo will continue to lead this program in the right direction and hold fast to the Nebraska tradition, I think that goes a long way in the minds & hearts of those who bleed Husker red. We've long been regarded as one of the most loyal fanbases, and I think that loyalty stems from our tradition of hard work and respect, both of which are qualities Bo clearly holds in high regard.

Those two views, says it all for me.

GBR!!!

• Fire 1

Granted TO got his title after 20+ years with 9+ wins each season. But I also remember when we weren't competing for a national title, or got embarassed by teams in our bowl games, people wanted TO's head on a pike. It was brutal during the eighties. I love TO to death but it was brutal year after year of not winning the big one. I just hope we don't have to endure that all over again. It was hard to believe in TO's system every year only to lose it to oklahoma, colorado, miami, florida st, or UCLA. I believe in Bo's system, but 20 years before we get a title is a long time.

Basically what you are saying is, would we be content if Bo were like Frank Beamer.... I'm fairly certain that any coach with those kinds of winning records who has a reputation for graduating fine young men is more than a University could ask for. I think that if you want to understand the record and what it means to the fanbase though, it entirely depends on how our opponents are faring. Say we were 10-4 and the Big 12 was about how it is this year for the next 20 years, sure we would expect 9-10 wins. Say the Big 12 programs had an upswing, went about 10-3 against SEC competition, won 4 straight titles as a conference and produced 6-7 solid teams. The occasional 7-6 record in this kind of environment is definitely tolerable. In a conference like the ACC though, we expect +1 or +2 games over in a conference like the SEC.

If we start winning Big 12 titles and are in contention for them (like this year) more than likely we will be in the National Championship talk.

Its just way to hard to predict things like this... I mean if you would have told people we would go 10-4 this year and lose to Iowa St. at home some people might have been worried. But at the same time you tell them we go 10-4 and explain how we lost the V-Tech, Iowa St, and Texas game then people probably get excited.

We were 1 second away from a BCS game in year 2 so theres no need to worry now and you can't predict the future so I'll just let things play out before I judge.

good thread....

the thing i hated about the cally era was the fact that our Defense was so sh**ty. Im a young guy, but i remember the days of shut outs and big hits, and teams getting nothing on Ne. The fact that i see that again with Bo makes me Happy with him. To be honest, i dont see Bo letting the offense being as bad as it was last year, he has to much hunger to let the fans down. He knows the tradition around Ne, and im sure he saw fans walking out of Memorial at halftime when cally was in charge. He isnt gonna let us down. I think the bowl game was a big highlight reel of what we will see this year with our Offense, and im liken it!

Kool Aid or not, but i dont see a single game this year that we should lose!!! unless we lose to ourselves. Ne will finish top 3 next year, if not #1 with the title....mark my words now casue im saving this thread for when it happens!