ESPN-Nebraska back to Frazier-ish roots

Tommie was a dual threat QB. It was a threat if he pitched it, or if he kept it.

I remember someone back then say that Frazier could run like a deer, BUT he also through like one. That always cracked me up. Honestly though he wasn't all that bad in throwing against man coverages, I think it was the zones that gave him trouble.

And I would take anohter 100 qb's just like him..............

• Fire 1

I think eventually we will be moving towards a Spread-Option based offense. Being able to go under center, some West Coast formations, some Shotgun with motion formations, and speed, speed, speed. We have Green, and we are looking at other "dual threat" quarterbacks, and mix in the option as well. At least that is the direction I'd like to see us go, being able to mix and match formations and able to run the ball when needed, and the ability to pass the ball when needed, a balanced offense, is the most dangerous offense. Add in some option plays, and it could be a very good thing here. I just hope we find someone (former Nebraska players) on the staff to teach the quarterbacks how to run the option. Whenever Green or Lee "ran" it this year, it was horrendous results, but it takes a lot of time to get it down, and it wouldn't be our base offense either, but something to have in your back pocket and be able to run effectively, I think could be a very good thing.

I remember reading somewhere that Bo was "interested" by the option game,as well as a balanced attack that Alabama uses. If you look at the top teams year in year out, no matter if they are spread, or not, they can do two things right: They can pass when they are behind and need to, and they can run when they are ahead and need to milk the clock.

And yes, Frazier WAS a dual threat quarterback. If it wasn't there in the air, he would take off on teams. He could also pitch it nicely and keep it and cut up-field as well. Don't forget the Option pass, to hit a receiver or tight end down field wide open. I love that play, and it worked this year with Zac Lee in the Baylor and Kansas games I believe.

Tommie was a dual threat QB. It was a threat if he pitched it, or if he kept it.

I remember someone back then say that Frazier could run like a deer, BUT he also through like one. That always cracked me up. Honestly though he wasn't all that bad in throwing against man coverages, I think it was the zones that gave him trouble.

Good post.

Personally, I wouldn't classify him as a dual threat quarterback. I would classify Tommie Frazier as an option threat. He really wasn't that good of a passer, at any account. His numbers looked good, but you have to consider the offense he ran. When he passed, it was usually for pretty big gains, and it was usually because of play action. Those play action plays always left his receivers and tight ends wide open.

Not to say he couldn't thread the needle here and there, but I look at it kind of like how I look at TT quarterbacks. Generally, they aren't the best of quarterbacks, it just so happens that their system allows them to throw for 5,000 yards every year.

Good post.

Personally, I wouldn't classify him as a dual threat quarterback. I would classify Tommie Frazier as an option threat. He really wasn't that good of a passer, at any account. His numbers looked good, but you have to consider the offense he ran. When he passed, it was usually for pretty big gains, and it was usually because of play action. Those play action plays always left his receivers and tight ends wide open.

Not to say he couldn't thread the needle here and there, but I look at it kind of like how I look at TT quarterbacks. Generally, they aren't the best of quarterbacks, it just so happens that their system allows them to throw for 5,000 yards every year.

Frazier, Frost and Crouch were marginal passers at best. All they did was win.

the meaning of dual threat is a quarterback who can run and throw....Tommie is that and then some

Everyone knows what duel threat means. While Touchdown Tommie is probably my favorite all time Husker: a heart of a warrior, speedy, that sixth sense to make something out-of-nothing, he was not a good passer. I remember clearly it being an issue and he taking the entire summer of his Sophomore year to work on his passing. After that he was ok at best- but a duel threat? No, not if the second skill was passing

Of course I don't know what this article is about since I have yet to read a summary.